Holcomb changing plays...

Second half, more than once Miami had about 18 guys lined up at the LOS, and the Bills still handed off to WM up the gut. I have to wonder why our coaching staff didn't pick up on the trick off throwing the ball quickly into the man coverage with one safety over the top? Would that be...an adjustment? Would be worth a shot. What is the major difference between an incomplete pass and a one yard run in a situation like that? One step on a DB, and it could be 6.

It looked like Kelly checked out a number of times, but then I wondered if he was really checking out or if he was changing his cadence to try to draw Miami offside.

???

P.S. I know this doesn't have anything to do with the body of your message, but I keyed in on the title. ;)

Second half, more than once Miami had about 18 guys lined up at the LOS, and the Bills still handed off to WM up the gut. I have to wonder why our coaching staff didn't pick up on the trick off throwing the ball quickly into the man coverage with one safety over the top? Would that be...an adjustment? Would be worth a shot. What is the major difference between an incomplete pass and a one yard run in a situation like that? One step on a DB, and it could be 6.

471611[/snapback]

On the flip side is that if McGahee breaks through the line then it could be 6 also. It'd be nice if one of our lineman could pancake somebody once in a while.

Frankly, I liked the fact that we ran Willis 31 times and I didn't care if we ran him into the gut. We should have run him more down at the goal line, too. 26 passes in this game was more than enough for Holcomb and to keep the defense honest.

471623[/snapback]

All well and good, but there is also the idea of trying to take advantage of what the defense is giving you once in a while. I agree with the goal line. 1st and goal at the one should not = field goal.

What is the major difference between an incomplete pass and a one yard run in a situation like that? One step on a DB, and it could be 6.

Or one short-armed ball and it could be the turnover the phish desperately needed to get back in the game.

That being said, I was also waiting all day for teh Bills to try and take some shots downfield, which I've seen Holcomb do very well in the past. I was pretty disappointed they didn't, but did get the feeling that they called something up a couple times but Holcomb didn't like what he saw downfield and checked down to a safer option.

1st and goal at the one should not = field goal.

And that was the one thing that really got me going yesterday. Man was I cussing a blue streak at Clements. 1st/goal at the 1 and you pack 22 guys in the box and then ask your 240lb back to wait on a pulling guard on both 1st and 2nd down, then when it doesn't work you go to some (*^*&%^$^#SamAdams gadget on 3rd.

Mularkey also ought to know better than to risk the only good DT on this now injury-depleted unit by asking him to go out there and run decoy routes for no good reason. That whole sequence was just fu(king retarded and I'm still getting annoyued right now thinking about it, so I'm just going to go find a nice happy thread.

Cya

Or one short-armed ball and it could be the turnover the phish desperately needed to get back in the game.

That being said, I was also waiting all day for teh Bills to try and take some shots downfield, which I've seen Holcomb do very well in the past. I was pretty disappointed they didn't, but did get the feeling that they called something up a couple times but Holcomb didn't like what he saw downfield and checked down to a safer option.

Yeah, I was grateful for that. Still, I'm not the guy on the field, but damn, KH does have a pretty good touch, overthrow it a tad and let Evans catch up to it. Moulds can do a good job of playing DB when he has to. I wouldn't trust Reed with it, but either of those other two. It might have made Miami re-think the fire drills at the line, too. Especially with a very green corner.

Whatever. I had a lot of hopes for the coaching staff this year. Yes, we just be fans, but...damn. Crap, if you are going to bring Sam in on offense, why not a lead blocker on first and one? He's not THAT slow for five yards or so. Actually pretty quick when he wants to be.