How Many Years Before Talking about Firing

coywire27

I am in Chicago and the radio was talking about Lovie Smith and how tomorrow's game vs. Cleveland is a must win for Coach Smith or serious discussion about replacing him needs to be addressed. What the heck? He has been here for two (three?) years and they are talking about firing him. It got me thinking about the situation in Buffalo. How many years do you give a coach (and let's be serious, rational an fair) before the discussion among fans is that of his elimination (his football coaching job, not his life)?

I am in Chicago and the radio was talking about Lovie Smith and how tomorrow's game vs. Cleveland is a must win for Coach Smith or serious discussion about replacing him needs to be addressed.  What the heck? He has been here for two (three?) years and they are talking about firing him.  It got me thinking about the situation in Buffalo.  How many years do you give a coach (and let's be serious, rational an fair) before the discussion among fans is that of his elimination (his football coaching job, not his life)?

470251[/snapback]

In today's NFL, three years. The third year is when you see if his system and his players works.

In today's NFL, three years.  The third year is when you see if his system and his players works.

470261[/snapback]

yep, in today's NFL

1st year = Mulligan

2nd year = show some progress

3rd year = contend

if we don't turn things around next year (yes, we're almost to the point of thinking about next year and its only week 5), then MM will be on the hotseat

yep, in today's NFL

1st year = Mulligan

2nd year = show some progress

3rd year = contend

if we don't turn things around next year (yes, we're almost to the point of thinking about next year and its only week 5), then MM will be on the hotseat

470275[/snapback]

dont know but decision detrimental to the teams future could speed things, depending on how the gm sees it