RECAP: Mularkey on Sirius NFL Radio

Here are the highlights (liberally paraphrased--and anyone else who listened is welcome to correct or add any details). The only opinion here is in brackets--evertything else is Mike Mularkey:

Adam Shein asked MM if he would go on the record and name his starter. He said that he would not talk about that; that he had made a commitment to the local media and he was honoring that.

He said that not naming a starter gives them a competitive edge because of the Phins inability to specifically game plan for a particular QB.

MM also said there were no restrictions on media this week, in a response to John Riggins about any more confidentiality around their practices. Media were admitted to individual position drills as usual, and they would not glean anything that would tip MM's hand.

When asked if he was upset with Moulds and Evans, he replied "No." He said that he'd talked to the two of them after the fact, but he didn't feel that they'd said anything to damage the team, so he was fine. He also said that what matters is what the coaching staff decides on Sunday.

[My comment: he was eerily calm when he answered--very matter of fact. Gave no indication that he was annoyed.]

He felt that Ronnie Brown was someone they would have to contend with on Sunday.

Re: Losman--he said that he watches a QBs reaction to being benched, to see if he withdraws or sits at the end of the bench or stops talking to his teammates. He saw none of that in JP, which gives him a good feeling about his future development.

Asked about the decision to use Holcomb as a "spark" last week, MM said that after the first drive that resulted in the score, they just couldn't get their rhythm, and that he thought that Kelly would be able to change things up. Shein asked if he game planned for that, and MM said you don't. He also said they couldn't get into a play-calling rhythm, either.

[My comment: this concerned me a little, because that's kind of their job. But I can see that if you are expecting A to happen in an NFL game, and B happens, you don't have a lot of time to react. Some teams seem to manage, though.]

Re: Losman--he said that he watches a QBs reaction to being benched, to see if he withdraws or sits at the end of the bench or stops talking to his teammates. He saw none of that in JP, which gives him a good feeling about his future development.

Hmm...it seems to me that that is EXACTLY what he did. I dont read anything into it, but it seemed to me thats what he did.

Hmm...it seems to me that that is EXACTLY what he did.  I dont read anything into it, but it seemed to me thats what he did.

469465[/snapback]

Uh... No it wasn't. Were we watching the same game? When the offense had the ball, he was slapping the asses of all the players who came off the field. For christ sakes, he even had his helmet on.

Uh...  No it wasn't.  Were we watching the same game?  When the offense had the ball,  he was slapping the asses of all the players who came off the field.  For christ sakes,  he even had his helmet on.

469524[/snapback]

That is exactly what I saw. A guy who was ready to go back in at a moments notice. Also a true team leader, he didn't let the fact he got benched get to him and he watched and waited.

I was at the game, and honestly, I didn't see JP doing a lot of ass slapping. I am not saying it didn't happen, I just didn't see it. I did, however, observe Losman sitting, looking a little dejected after his final drive. Kelly Holcomb had his hand on Losman's shoulder a while, and was talking with him. I think JP has shown a lot of great intangibles, but I also was impressed watcing Holcomb on the sidelines. He was encouraging JP the whole game...like I said a bunch of times before, while I understand why people are upset about this move, I still think they are way overreacting to it, and misjudging the effect it will have on Losman. He will be fine. This is just one of the rough moments for him, on his path to developing. He is very raw, sitting and observing a week or two, IMO, will not hurt him at all, and may help. The sun will come out tomorrow....

I was at the game, and honestly, I didn't see JP doing a lot of ass slapping.  I am not saying it didn't happen, I just didn't see it.  I did, however, observe Losman sitting, looking a little dejected after his final drive.  Kelly Holcomb had his hand on Losman's shoulder a while, and was talking with him.  I think JP has shown a lot of great intangibles, but I also was impressed watcing Holcomb on the sidelines.  He was encouraging JP the whole game...like I said a bunch of times before, while I understand why people are upset about this move, I still think they are way overreacting to it, and misjudging the effect it will have on Losman.  He will be fine.  This is just one of the rough moments for him, on his path to developing.  He is very raw, sitting and observing a week or two, IMO, will not hurt him at all, and may help.  The sun will come out tomorrow....

469649[/snapback]

If you were at the game, you seen more then me. All I can say, everytime the offense had the ball, and the camera showed JP on the sideline, he was encouraging every player who came off the field, and had his helmet on.