Deer Hunting in NY

The Tomcat

That's the problem: hunting's a dying art. More deer are killed by cars during hunting season than guns (let alone bows) these days...When I went to school you'd nearly have enough kids "out sick" on opening day to close the school...Never did it myself, but appreciate those who do for helping to keep the roads safe...

Still hunting season brings back fond memories... of this song:

http://members.aol.com/quentncree/lehrer/hunting.htm

That's the problem: hunting's a dying art.  More deer are killed by cars during hunting season than guns (let alone bows) these days...When I went to school you'd nearly have enough kids "out sick" on opening day to close the school...Never did it myself, but appreciate those who do for helping to keep the roads safe...

469242[/snapback]

Alden School district, we used to get the first day of pheasant and the first day of deer off as an authorized absence. Bet they don't do that anymore. Probably the most fun deer hunting I've done was in Kentucky. I had access to plenty of land and enjoyed still hunting with a .44 mag Ruger carbine. Brush country and a lot of up and down. Good exercise, and always fun to spend a day alone in the woods once in a while. You see a lot of things if you're willing to look.

I go to hunting camp each year...yet I have never had my hunting license...just eat, drink, and play cards...good times

469231[/snapback]

Thats what I do as well!!!. Sure is nice to hear dem deer boys getting up at 4.00AM, while I'm snug as bug in bed, maybe getting up at 6.30 or 7 to go fishing in the trout stream out back

Oh BTW, you forgot about smoke as well as drinking etc....

One of my favorite hunting memories is coming out of a woodline and seeing my Uncle Charlie asleep sitting on a tree stump with his shotgun on his lap, and about six deer standing about 5 feet behind him staring at him more or less in a semi-circle. I so wished I had had a camera. Really happened.

I've never gone deer hunting before, but I just got a new barrel to go with my Remington 870 so I'll be going this year with some friends

all i've done before is pheasant hunting...might do some duck hunting this year also

what better way to pass your time when your favorite team gives you migraines while watching them?

One of my favorite hunting memories is coming out of a woodline and seeing my Uncle Charlie asleep sitting on a tree stump with his shotgun on his lap, and about six deer standing about 5 feet behind him staring at him more or less in a semi-circle. I so wished I had had a camera. Really happened.

469285[/snapback]

:doh::doh:

That's the problem: hunting's a dying art.  More deer are killed by cars during hunting season than guns (let alone bows) these days...When I went to school you'd nearly have enough kids "out sick" on opening day to close the school...Never did it myself, but appreciate those who do for helping to keep the roads safe...

469242[/snapback]

Not really. Huntings popularity is still pretty darn strong. The problem in NY is the dwindling population and piss poor game managment practices.

Not really.  Huntings popularity is still pretty darn strong.  The problem in NY is the dwindling population and piss poor game managment practices.

469420[/snapback]

Dwindling population? Do you mean people or deer?

There are more deer than ever. Go to The big park in Cheektowaga . The town had people in there this summer shooting them.

I lived downstream of it and we would never see deer during the day. Now everytime I go back for Christmas I see them . In fact, one year I saw two in my mother's driveway at noon on Christmas Day.

I go ever year in GA. I'm not sure about it yet. While it's nice to not freeze my balls off, it sucks to swat at 'skeeters while in a deer stand, or to stir up a hornets nest while climbing into a tripod.

Member of a club that's got about 2300 acres. It's great. I get up there at 6:00, right before sunrise. Climb into the stand. Put the .30-06 on my lap.... and promptly wake up at 10:30 to walk back to camp and try again that evening.

Did they ever start allowing high powered rifles in cattaragus? I know they were thinking....

Dwindling population?  Do you mean people or deer?

There are more deer than ever.  Go to The big park in Cheektowaga . The town had people in there this summer shooting them.

I lived downstream of it  and we would never see deer during the day. Now everytime I go back for Christmas I see them . In fact, one year I saw two in my mother's driveway at noon on Christmas Day.

469622[/snapback]

People. The population of NY has dropped a ton since I was a kid. It' s one reason there are so many deer.

We've put up 7 stands in roughly 250 acres......

I've been shooting my bow and just can't wait for next Sat....

However, hunting opens Sat, my kids have football games at 2 and 3:30 then I leave to go to Buffalo/Canada to meet a buddy, spend the night, go to the Bills game, then spend Sunday night in Buff/Canada....Oh the humanity!!!

Its very hard to get a doe tag in western NY (Chautauqua Co).....They say the deer population is too low so their restricting the amount of tags released for gun season...I don't get it....that sucks!!! Anyone with a doe tag in 9J that wants to assign it to me?? Anyone....anyone

I've never gone deer hunting before, but I just got a new barrel to go with my Remington 870 so I'll be going this year with some friends

all i've done before is pheasant hunting...might do some duck hunting this year also

what better way to pass your time when your favorite team gives you migraines while watching them?

469367[/snapback]

good gun, i've got the same...but its been 3 years since i've been hunting, cuz florida sucks for hunting, and i havent been able ro make it home for thanksgivign to hunt...damn i miss it...going out in the woods was great, especially when you're missing school/work to do it!

good gun, i've got the same...but its been 3 years since i've been hunting, cuz florida sucks for hunting, and i havent been able ro make it home for thanksgivign to hunt...damn i miss it...going out in the woods was great, especially when you're missing school/work to do it!

471607[/snapback]

You could always try python poaching in the everglades. Just watch out for the exploding ones.