JP precipitated the switch, not by bad play

I posted this over at KFFL:

http://www.kffl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143706

It's silly to re-post all of that here, since anyone can read threads there without registering. Either the coaches had "dumbed down" the offense to the point where they weren't asking JP to make a basic read, or he just plain "wanted to be a hero" and made a very stupid decision. I'm guessing the later.

The coaches have decided (and upon reflection I agree) that JP just needs to sit down, calm down, and get things in perspective for a while. It might be a week, a few weeks, or maybe even the rest of the season. IMO Holcomb will probably start the next 4 weeks, and the coaches will re-evaluate the QB situation during the bye week and decide what to do then, based on the totality of the circumstances at that time.

I posted this over at KFFL:

http://www.kffl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143706

It's silly to re-post all of that here, since anyone can read threads there without registering.  Either the coaches had "dumbed down" the offense to the point where they weren't asking JP to make a basic read, or he just plain "wanted to be a hero" and made a very stupid decision.  I'm guessing the later.

The coaches have decided (and upon reflection I agree) that JP just needs to sit down, calm down, and get things in perspective for a while.  It might be a week, a few weeks, or maybe even the rest of the season.  IMO Holcomb will probably start the next 4 weeks, and the coaches will re-evaluate the QB situation during the bye week and decide what to do then, based on the totality of the circumstances at that time.

468604[/snapback]

Don, that was , to me, a great analysis. I would never see all that during the play. Thanks for the link over to the other board.

However, where i disagree is that i think it will be tough to leran on the sideline.

Quoting Greg Garber of ESPN.com

Mularkey would be advised to do some light reading to see if that statement will hold up. Early in training camp, Losman was quoted as telling USA Today he already felt the pressure of leading "older men."

Older men? Pressure and anxiety? To people who read between the lines, it was a curious admission. Quarterbacks, regardless of their personalities and almost by definition, are expected to be leaders. Would Roethlisberger voice those kind of doubts, even if he felt them? Would Eli Manning? How about this year's top pick, Alex Smith, who will take over as San Francisco's starter on Sunday?

Ten weeks ago, Losman saw all of this coming. Maybe that's part of the problem.

What an intiguing insight. I know the quote from JP was replayed not so long ago here and by the NO media in the lead up to the game. We all (me included) poo-poohed it as a training camp throwaway remark.

But JPmight have precipitated his own problems by trying to do to much to appease the 'older men'. He seems to hook up OK with Reed, Willis, and Evans (to a lesser extent), and I predict Parrish will blossom if JP is tossing to him... But JP hasn't hit his older veteran recievers and TEs Moulds and Campbell. As a young guy not too much older than JP I can sort of understand that. In the presence of 'older men' you subconsciously reign yourself in outwardly, but internally you're telling yourself you need to impress and prove yourself. The power struggle between these two opoosed ideals is going to make for interesting results (see JPs poor play and my bad jokes in my ew workplace).

I see this in reverse. If I was JP, I would do everything I could to be hitting targets like Moulds and the tight ends. I would probably go out for beers and wings with the younger guys, but I would do everything to make Moulds my number one target on game day.

When Jim Kelly came to town. the TE was his #1 dump off man when the WRs were covered and the OL collapsed.

What an intiguing insight. I know the quote from JP was replayed not so long ago here and by the NO media in the lead up to the game. We all (me included) poo-poohed it as a training camp throwaway remark.

But JPmight have precipitated his own problems by trying to do to much to appease the 'older men'. He seems to hook up OK with Reed, Willis, and Evans (to a lesser extent), and I predict Parrish will blossom if JP is tossing to him... But JP hasn't hit his older veteran recievers and TEs Moulds and Campbell. As a young guy not too much older than JP I can sort of understand that. In the presence of 'older men' you subconsciously reign yourself in outwardly, but internally you're telling yourself you need to impress and prove yourself. The power struggle between these two opoosed ideals is going to make for interesting results (see JPs poor play and my bad jokes in my ew workplace).

468729[/snapback]

468729[/snapback]

Hey nick, i was the one who really had problems with that statement. Even more disturbing was the "after four weeks I'll know if this football thing is for me".

But, put me firmly in the JP camp, and firmly in the benching is a mistake camp.

BTW, how bout my Sheffield United squad. Moving up next year, yeeha!!!!!

Hey nick, i was the one who really had problems with that statement. Even more disturbing was the "after four weeks I'll know if this football thing is for me".

But, put me firmly in the JP camp, and firmly in the benching is a mistake camp.

BTW, how bout my Sheffield United squad. Moving up next year, yeeha!!!!!

468773[/snapback]

Yeah I am in the JP camp too... Develop him at any cost. The team put their future in his hands. The future is coming, the future is now. It's got to be about JP from now on.

Sheffield Utd??? :doh:

I remember that quote and thought it was pretty strange at the time. JP has two options for dealing with this temporary benching. He can sulk and wallow and dwell on how unfair the world is, or he can get mad and and make sure that the next time he get's his shot that he'll kick ass and never get benched again. I surely hope it's the latter...

I'm curious as to why someone (apparently a Moderator) found it necessary to edit my post and change the topic title.  As a mod in another forum, I consider editing someone else's post to be a means of absolute last resort.

469232[/snapback]

It was probably merged with a similar thread.