EU / UN want US to relinquish Internet control

http://technology.guardian.co.uk/news/stor...1589967,00.html

Viviane Reding, European IT commissioner, says that if a multilateral approach cannot be agreed, countries such as China, Russia, Brazil and some Arab states could start operating their own versions of the internet and the ubiquity that has made it such a success will disappear

without these technological heavyweights, the Internet is D :lol::lol: MED

just don't let the reboot hit their arse on the way out <_<

http://technology.guardian.co.uk/news/stor...1589967,00.html

without these technological heavyweights, the Internet is D :lol:  :lol: MED 

just don't let the reboot hit their arse on the way out :lol:

475405[/snapback]

And let's think about that for a moment. Let's say Brazil "secedes" from the WWW to create their own internet. Let's assume it's no big deal setting up the physical infrastructure (because it probably isn't - just use the existing internet lines, disconnected from the web). Now what, they're going to buy their own root servers? Or are they going to say "Well, we could buy them...but it'll be cheaper to license them from someone else off-site." What about content? "Damn, our content's pretty thin...maybe we should strike some deals with third-parties to provide content. Like AP or Reuters, let's have them provide news content. Gee, now we need a search engine, our content's so rich. Writing one's expensive, though...maybe we can strike a licensing deal with Yahoo or Google..." Before you know it, Brazil's internet is being managed by - of all people - US companies.

Great plan. I say let 'em secede. <_<

Yes, we can buy laptops for everyone if we ask the rich to pay "just a little bit more".

468837[/snapback]

That is what the Gates Foundation does when they give free computers to disadvantaged public libraries.

The well-off ones that participate in the program are asked to pay a premium for their computers.

I always thought Gates gave them away for free.

<_<:lol:

There's a lot of people out there that I'm not sure I would want them to have easy access. The internet hasn't done us too many favors in the third world lately.

468691[/snapback]

So does that mean if the terrorists win that it'll all be Al Gore's fault?