Leaves turning

Zona

Well, I hope they turn quickly. One of the reasons I chose early oct to come back to Buffalo with my family is to enjoy the Fall season. My kids have no idea what leaves turning is all about. I was hoping they could see it for themselves. Well, that and a Bills/fish game... :D

Out here in California, about a third of the tres lose their leaves. Those are the maples etc, brought over from the east and are usually in subdivisions. The trees in the hills and wild areas don't turn.

What we get is the hills turning green in November and then golden brown in May.

Out here in California, about a third of the tres lose their leaves. Those are the maples etc, brought over from the east and are usually in subdivisions. The trees in the hills and wild areas don't turn.

What we get is the hills turning green in November and then golden brown in May.

467560[/snapback]

Yeah. Here in Phoenix, the palm trees dont lose their leaves. They dont change color, either.

Don't worry. Today is the last day of summer. :blink: The temps could drop 40 degrees in the next 18-36 hours. A frost or two and the hills will resemble a bowl of Trix!

Well, I hope they turn quickly. One of the reasons I chose early oct to come back to Buffalo with my family is to enjoy the Fall season. My kids have no idea what leaves turning is all about. I was hoping they could see it for themselves. Well, that and a Bills/fish game...  :w00t:

467314[/snapback]

Don't worry. Today is the last day of summer.  :blink:  The temps could drop 40 degrees in the next 18-36 hours. A frost or two and the hills will resemble a bowl of Trix!

467581[/snapback]

Now your talking! Thtas exactly what I want.

You going to the game this way Rockpile? Will I see you there?

467560[/snapback]

Whaddya mean?

Don't the leaves don't turn black when they are on fire in California?

Ive been in the woods every other day to hang tree stands and scouting for deer. Its amazing how different the scenery is every day...they have started and with this cold streak were going to have it will turn into high gear.

If your realy interested, the weather channel has a Fall Foliage report...

Don't worry. Today is the last day of summer.  ;)  The temps could drop 40 degrees in the next 18-36 hours. A frost or two and the hills will resemble a bowl of Trix!

467581[/snapback]

Rock, the leaves don't change b/c of temperature drop-offs, it's actually to do with the ratio of far red light. As the duration of this light changes (increases IIRC) the chlorophyll in the leaves is drawn back into the tree (the chemicals that chl is composed of are scarce/hard to draw up into the tree so they are saved and reused), leaving the original pigments of the storage -phylls. Those other -phylls aren't needed anymore and an acid (ascissic?) is released that detaches the leaves so new ones will have space to grow next year. Lots of people attribute it to the weather, but it's false cause. Such is life when you're an autotroph --- no one understands you! :doh:

The leaves have just started to change here. We're getting some of the yellows and oranges right now, but lots of green still. We live on a lake and I'm building a stone wall at the waterfront in lieu of rent. This weather is my absolute favorite time of the year, and a big reason why I want to stay here. Yesterday there was a stunning red leaf from a maple tree in the water surrounded by yellow. That color's not abundant right now, but it soon will be and then shortly after that there will just be branches. A bowl of Trix! That's a great description.

Well, the family and I just flew in to town today. Hard to see anything with all this rain. :flirt:

So far, it looks like fall to me. Drove around town a little tonight. Drove by UB. Headed into a depressed part of town(ie seedy looking). Not sure what to do tommorrow. Depends on the weather I guess

I cant wait for the game on Sunday.

Rock, the leaves don't change b/c of temperature drop-offs, it's actually to do with the ratio of far red light. As the duration of this light changes (increases IIRC) the chlorophyll in the leaves is drawn back into the tree (the chemicals that chl is composed of are scarce/hard to draw up into the tree so they are saved and reused), leaving the original pigments of the storage -phylls. Those other -phylls aren't needed anymore and an acid (ascissic?) is released that detaches the leaves so new ones will have space to grow next year. Lots of people attribute it to the weather, but it's false cause. Such is life when you're an autotroph --- no one understands you! ;)

468858[/snapback]

I am not informed enough to argue, but why are the leavees turning so late this year? Do we get more "far red light" when it is warm? :doh: Orangephylls, redphylls? Are you on acidphylls! :blink:

The leaves have just started to change here. We're getting some of the yellows and oranges right now, but lots of green still. We live on a lake and I'm building a stone wall at the waterfront in lieu of rent.

Doesn't this piss off your landlord? You stiff him on the rent and build yourself a wall? :w00t:

This weather is my absolute favorite time of the year, and a big reason why I want to stay here. Yesterday there was a stunning red leaf from a maple tree in the water surrounded by yellow. That color's not abundant right now, but it soon will be and then shortly after that there will just be branches. A bowl of Trix! That's a great description.

I like the change of seasons too. I can close my eyes and almost smell autumn at Silver Lake on a brisk sunny day. Isn't it nice when the summer people leave?

One year I worked on the grounds crew at Letchworth Park ...pure heaven at $3.50 an hour :w00t:

When we were kids we would rake leaves and then burn them. Imagine that today, a bunch of kids raking up huge piles of leaves and starting bonfires in your yard! Adults would even PAY you to do this!

I am not informed enough to argue, but why are the leavees turning so late this year? Do we get more "far red light" when it is warm?  :w00t:  Orangephylls, redphylls? Are you on acidphylls!  ;)

Doesn't this piss off your landlord? You stiff him on the rent and build yourself a wall?  :blink:

I like the change of seasons too. I can close my eyes and almost smell autumn at Silver Lake on a brisk sunny day. Isn't it nice when the summer people leave?

One year I worked on the grounds crew at Letchworth Park ...pure heaven at $3.50 an hour  :w00t:

When we were kids we would rake leaves and then burn them. Imagine that today, a bunch of kids raking up huge piles of leaves and starting bonfires in your yard! Adults would even PAY you to do this!

471840[/snapback]

Ayup.

Looks like rain.