I think starting KH is a good move

todd

I think JP needs to be benched. He's obviously struggling, not utilizing his skills, and is completely confused and overmatched out there. He's inaccurate, his mechanics are effed up, and he's not looking at the correct WRs.

I don't think that benching him is an indication that he isn't the future of the Bills. I think it indicates that the Bills need to win NOW, and you do that by putting your best players on the field.

Right now, JP isn't playing well at his position. He needs to sit down, watch the game, get his equilibbrium back, etc. Also, there's too many idiot fans to actually think Buffalo's losing streak is all his fault.

The biggest problem with people in general is that they are incapable of understanding that blame can lie in multiple places. Generally people here curse the coaches, curse donahoe, curse the defensive players, or curse Losman. Truthfully, it's probably a bit of everything. But that isn't simple enough for some people to wrap their heads around.

JP and his development is just a piece of the puzzle. That's important, but so is winning NOW. We won't win now with a QB who misses open WRs, or takes a safety, or fails to recognize a blitz. So we need to fix that.

We also can't win with a D who can't stop the run. So we need to fix that as well.

We can't win with offensive playcalling that doesn't utilize it's best player - Willis McGahee.

Lots of things need to be fixed. It's not just Losman, but he's part of the puzzle. If KH could make two plays that JP couldn't make, we might have a better chance of winning. So benching JP for now is just a small part of what needs to change, but it certainly needs to change.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think JP needs to be benched. He's obviously struggling, not utilizing his skills, and is completely confused and overmatched out there. He's inaccurate, his mechanics are effed up, and he's not looking at the correct WRs.

I don't think that benching him is an indication that he isn't the future of the Bills. I think it indicates that the Bills need to win NOW, and you do that by putting your best players on the field.

Right now, JP isn't playing well at his position. He needs to sit down, watch the game, get his equilibbrium back, etc. Also, there's too many idiot fans to actually think Buffalo's losing streak is all his fault.

The biggest problem with people in general is that they are incapable of understanding that blame can lie in multiple places. Generally people here curse the coaches, curse donahoe, curse the defensive players, or curse Losman. Truthfully, it's probably a bit of everything. But that isn't simple enough for some people to wrap their heads around.

JP and his development is just a piece of the puzzle. That's important, but so is winning NOW. We won't win now with a QB who misses open WRs, or takes a safety, or fails to recognize a blitz. So we need to fix that.

We also can't win with a D who can't stop the run. So we need to fix that as well.

We can't win with offensive playcalling that doesn't utilize it's best player - Willis McGahee.

Lots of things need to be fixed. It's not just Losman, but he's part of the puzzle. If KH could make two plays that JP couldn't make, we might have a better chance of winning. So benching JP for now is just a small part of what needs to change, but it certainly needs to change.

467078[/snapback]

Sorry you are wrong!

You are SO wrong you may never be right again! :D

Holcomb probably is the better QB Todd. However, the whole coaches handling of this situation, from naming JP the starter without competition, to saying how great he looked, and how hard he practiced, and how he was the savior, etc..... And then we saw bunny hopping in preseason, and a deer in headlights play.

Now they are screwing with him mentally. So what physically he was having issues, and he was progressing slowly, but don't take the ball out of his hand now, it's too late. The time to do it, was when he looked like crap in preseason against other starters, not now.

The coaches are handling this all wrong, and they have continued to lie to us the fans. SO now they have hurt JP, and they have lost the fans. It really can't get much worse, then this.

467078[/snapback]

if only the D did what it should have done , keep the other team from scoring points. before the season started it was the D that was going to win us most of the games , they have not done there JOB . so JP takes the hit . and the d wins us games ???

So why not bench the over-paid, underperforming LOSERS on the defense as well?

It doesn't make any sense.

467091[/snapback]

You cant bench the whole team. The QB is the leader on offense. He gets way to much credit and way to much blame. Who would you bench on the D? The only changes could be on the D-line. The reserves in the secondary arent any better than the starters. Anyone have any suggestions on who they would bench on the D?

Holcomb probably is the better QB Todd.  However, the whole coaches handling of this situation, from naming JP the starter without competition, to saying how great he looked, and how hard he practiced, and how he was the savior, etc.....  And then we saw bunny hopping in preseason, and a deer in headlights play. 

Now they are screwing with him mentally.  So what physically he was having issues, and he was progressing slowly, but don't take the ball out of his hand now, it's too late.  The time to do it, was when he looked like crap in preseason against other starters, not now. 

The coaches are handling this all wrong, and they have continued to lie to us the fans.  SO now they have hurt JP, and they have lost the fans.  It really can't get much worse, then this.

467096[/snapback]

I'm not so sure this was Mularkey's decision.

467078[/snapback]

Young QB's would never start if every coach went by your rational. Aikman, Elway, both Mannings...all of them (and many many more) struggled and their teams sucked their first year as starters. It’s what happens, but the payoff is well worth it.

And actually, I really don't have a problem with them sitting JP down here and there...but you don't do it when the team is entering the easiest part of the remainder of the schedule. You do it if for the road games at Oakland and New England. You protect the kid, you don't prevent him from having success. Look at the success he had against a weak Texans team at home? You think he couldn't replicate that against the Jets or the Dolphins at home? That's how you build his confidence and let the kid learn. This move reeks.

Do you really think they’ll sit Holcomb if the team wins these two games? Holcomb is getting to start vs. the 2nd and 3rd easiest games on our entire schedule (the Texans game being the easiest). If the team does well (which is should) JP isn’t going to sniff the field again until this team is officially eliminated from the Playoffs which should be somewhere around week 13-14. That makes this move a giant waste of the season. Yeah, we’ll have fun next year when we have to suffer through JP’s growing pains again.

This move is horrible, period.

Good post. And lets face it, how long will Holcomb remain the starter, especially with all the other problems on the team? I'm positive JP will be starting again after a game or two.

467085[/snapback]

Yeah, let's bench JP for the easiest games left on our schedule and throw him to the wolves on some road games! That's the way to handle a young struggling QB. :D

467078[/snapback]

well, i threw over 300 td passes in the sfl but it took me awhile to get going...cant even imagine the learning curve in the nfl.......regression is the problem........maybe it's only two more games and Losman surpasses Holcomb, maybe 16 but surely a first round pick out of tulane catches up to an undrafted guy from middle tennessee state and probably in a hurry

Young QB's would never start if every coach went by your rational.  Aikman, Elway, both Mannings...all of them (and many many more) struggled and their teams sucked their first year as starters.  It’s what happens, but the payoff is well worth it.

And actually, I really don't have a problem with them sitting JP down here and there...but you don't do it when the team is entering the easiest part of the remainder of the schedule.  You do it if for the road games at Oakland and New England.  You protect the kid, you don't prevent him from having success.  Look at the success he had against a weak Texans team at home?  You think he couldn't replicate that against the Jets or the Dolphins at home?  That's how you build his confidence and let the kid learn.  This move reeks. 

Do you really think they’ll sit Holcomb if the team wins these two games?  Holcomb is getting to start vs. the 2nd and 3rd easiest games on our entire schedule (the Texans game being the easiest).  If the team does well (which is should) JP isn’t going to sniff the field again until this team is officially eliminated from the Playoffs which should be somewhere around week 13-14.  That makes this move a giant waste of the season.  Yeah, we’ll have fun next year when we have to suffer through JP’s growing pains again.

This move is horrible, period.

467106[/snapback]

It is kinda nice to see people talk civilized about this....

My two cents - since our defense has not turned out to the 80's Bears or the more recent Ravens, we therefore aren't going anywhere and we should allow the kid to take his lumps and learn. I think this offseason has proved a young QB needs more than offseason drills, loft apartments and a great attitude; you need to learn from actual game experience.

If this defense had been performing like a #1 D, then I can understand the rationale behind win now and installing Holcomb.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to my drive up Jersey on Saturday and being in the Ralph lot by 9am Sunday!

467091[/snapback]

I know I have said this before, but maybe you didn't see it. The problem on defense is twofold. One, Edwards and Adams are similar in that they like to be quick and shoot gaps. It's great if they pick the right gap, but 50/50 odds, and it lets ofeensive linemen get into the secondary and block the linebackers and safeties. This was fine when Fletcher and Spikes where in there, they are experienced and know how to shed blocks. Crowell, Posey, Stamer, who have had to pick up and play MLB and quit a bit elsewhere because of injuries to Fletch and Spikes can't. Hence the big runs, especially later when people are tired from getting hit. To help solve it, Gray had the corners, and safeties playing in and looking run first, this was real obvious against the Saints. The Saints picked up on and if the receivers could have caught the ball early on, that game wouldn't have been as close as it was.

So what happened was the Bills were basically playing 11 guys towards the box and only reading out once the play started to cover. This allowed receivers to get the delayed reaction from the D and put us on our heals. Because of it also, it opened lots of lanes up from for Brooks to scramble through when needed. I understand why Gray did it, but the better choice would have been to tell Adams and Edwards to maintain their positions and keep the Line engaged and off the in experienced linebackers. Anderson seemed to be better at it then Edwards, but Anderson isn't good enough yet to demand double teaming by the Oline.

If this defense had been performing like a #1 D, then I can understand the rationale behind win now and installing Holcomb.

467123[/snapback]

If this team had been playing like a #1 D they'd be 3-1 right now.

Holcomb probably is the better QB Todd.  However, the whole coaches handling of this situation, from naming JP the starter without competition, to saying how great he looked, and how hard he practiced, and how he was the savior, etc.....  And then we saw bunny hopping in preseason, and a deer in headlights play. 

Now they are screwing with him mentally.  So what physically he was having issues, and he was progressing slowly, but don't take the ball out of his hand now, it's too late.  The time to do it, was when he looked like crap in preseason against other starters, not now. 

The coaches are handling this all wrong, and they have continued to lie to us the fans.  SO now they have hurt JP, and they have lost the fans.  It really can't get much worse, then this.

467096[/snapback]

So what you're saying is that the coaches are doing the right thing, but by not explaining it properly to the public, they're idiots?

Sounds like the Bush administration to me :D

So what you're saying is that the coaches are doing the right thing, but by not explaining it  properly to the public, they're idiots?

Sounds like the Bush administration to me :D

467135[/snapback]

No they are doing the wrong thing at this point. If they were going to do it, the time was in preseason. Now it's too late.

467091[/snapback]

Umm, maybe because there is a history of them playing well and there isn't one of Losman playing well. It's really quite simple.