Lost 02.03 Discussion Thread

duey

Really?  I missed that.  That would be interesting.

This brings me back to the shark fin last week, where was the symbol?  On the dorsal fin or the tail fin?  I never saw it.

467404[/snapback]

It was on the tail, right before the fin starts, on a scene right before Sawyer tries to swim to the pontoon. It appears breifly, for a second, and its hard to see, but it is there.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jokeman, what do you know about Analucia? Label it SPOILER and put it in yellow text. It caught me by surprise that she was a plant. And it also kind of makes you wonder about the "Others" if they even are the same Others that took Walt, which I have doubts about. We're so caught up in them being 'the other' that it seems a conceit by the writers to show that 'others' aren't always evil, just that they're from a different group that is very similar to your own. Is anyone trying to say that beat-downs didn't happen on the beach last season?

467122[/snapback]

Spoiler: TV Guide had a special on some of the new characters that would appear on the show. One being Ana Lucia and the other as far as I could tell being the big black guy. According to the story, the character Sawyer affectionately called Shaft is infact Nigerian. Now for the speculation, it's believed he is part of the crew of drug runners that Locke & Boone found the plane for in the jungle. Hence my surprise that Ana Lucia would aligned herself with him. Granted as posted in another thread people have been known to do anything for the chance of survival and maybe somehow he convinced her to be part of his gang..

Spoiler: The character Sawyer affectionately called Shaft is Nigerian and believed to be part of the crew of drug runners that Locke & Boone found the plane. Hence my surprise that Ana Lucia would aligned herself with him. Granted as posted in another thread people have been known to do anything for the chance of survivor and maybe somehow he convinced her to be part of his gang..

467412[/snapback]

Wow, I had forgotten about that. Good theory.

It was on the tail, right before the fin starts, on a scene right before Sawyer tries to swim to the pontoon. It appears breifly, for a second, and its hard to see, but it is there.

467410[/snapback]

That "security system" might not be to keep people out, but to keep number-punchers in.

That part of the DHARMA plan to send a replacement.... they never say they'll be sending a boat or something with a willing participant. It would stand to reason that such a person wouldn't need an orientation film on what was happening. Maybe the 540 days are how often the electromagnet or whatever causes a shipwreck with a survivor who will take over, just as Desmond did.

Anyone find it strange that Desmond asked what happened to the girl (Sarah)? It seemed like an odd question....

That "security system" might not be to keep people out, but to keep number-punchers in.

That part of the DHARMA plan to send a replacement.... they never say they'll be sending a boat or something with a willing participant. It would stand to reason that such a person wouldn't need an orientation film on what was happening. Maybe the 540 days are how often the electromagnet or whatever causes a shipwreck with a survivor who will take over, just as Desmond did.

Anyone find it strange that Desmond asked what happened to the girl (Sarah)? It seemed like an odd question....

467441[/snapback]

Desmond said he had been there for more than 3 years. If a new person comes every 540 days, that would make someone's stay about 3 1/2 years. Just a thought

I didn't find it odd that Desmond asked about the girl. He was slowly putting the pieces together about that encounter. To ask about the girl seemed natural as that was the bulk of their meeting that night in the stadium.

467441[/snapback]

As posted prior I found it more strange that Jack didn't comment about her. Of course he didn't say much about her either to Ana Lucia at the bar either. Which causes me to ask, did she die or did they divorce/seperate?

Can anyone confirm my memory that the guy in the psych unit with Hurley was a former scientist -- it may just be my suspiscion that has warped into memory.

The possibility of this being a giant psych experiment would fit with making someone psycho ...

Why is the shark part of the security system? I could just be, as was said in teh movie, a zoological experiment as was the polar bear.

467441[/snapback]

What I did see was Jack looking at a photo in Desmond's living quarters of Desmond with a girl. Jack seemed interested in the picture. It was quick so I could not tell if that girl was Sarah or not. That would be interesting, eh brother?

As posted prior I found it more strange that Jack didn't comment about her. Of course he didn't say much about her either to Ana Lucia at the bar either. Which causes me to ask, did she die or did they divorce/seperate?

467469[/snapback]

My guess had been that she died in an accident that took Locke's use of his legs -- by happenstance

But now I'm wondering if Locke's paralysis was psychologically induced rather than by physical injury

Desmond said he had been there for more than 3 years.  If a new person comes every 540 days, that would make someone's stay about 3 1/2 years.  Just a thought

467464[/snapback]

How does that figure?

Why is the shark part of the security system? I could just be, as was said in teh movie, a zoological experiment as was the polar bear.

What I did see was Jack looking at a photo in Desmond's living quarters of Desmond with a girl. Jack seemed interested in the picture. It was quick so I could not tell if that girl was Sarah or not. That would be interesting, eh brother?

467474[/snapback]

This Lost forum thread has a screen capture of the pic and it clearly is not Sarah however maybe there's another connection to her and Jack we don't know about.

Desmond said he had been there for more than 3 years.  If a new person comes every 540 days, that would make someone's stay about 3 1/2 years.  Just a thought

467464[/snapback]

Actually, it would make a stay about 1 1/2 years. :blink: But, Desmond did say that Kelvin was there for a while. So, averaging b/w them.... They also never said what would happen to the replacee; how they would get back to civilization or if they would just stay on the island until they died.

My guess had been that she died in an accident that took Locke's use of his legs -- by happenstance

But now I'm wondering if Locke's paralysis was psychologically induced rather than by physical injury

467477[/snapback]

Yeah I seem to think she died more then a seperation/divorce myself but never thought of a connection to Locke. Of course another theory is perhaps maybe eventually she lost use of her legs after marrying Jack which caused him to lose any faith he gained post op and eventually he left her.

Jeez Louise...I'm getting overwhelmed here.

Say there is some sort of security system on the island of which the monster and the shark are parts...how about the system is designed to keep people from getting onto the island and disrupting the experiment?

I still think that Locke was injured in an accident, caused by him freaking out over his dad, and in that accident Sarah dies. You see that Jack appears to cry when he says they got married. If the accident theory is true, that would further drive Jack and Locke apart (assuming they find out).

How about this theory...that Jack is the focus of this entire story. We have to keep track of how all things tie into him. We already know that Sawyer ran into his father, and that Jack also ran into Desmond. And don't forget that the person Sarah killed in her car accident was Shannon's father. Three tie-ins that point to Jack. I am going to focus heavily on this theory as the weeks go on!

Jeez Louise...I'm getting overwhelmed here.

Say there is some sort of security system on the island of which the monster and the shark are parts...how about the system is designed to keep people from getting onto the island and disrupting the experiment?

I still think that Locke was injured in an accident, caused by him freaking out over his dad, and in that accident Sarah dies.  You see that Jack appears to cry when he says they got married.  If the accident theory is true, that would further drive Jack and Locke apart (assuming they find out).

How about this theory...that Jack is the focus of this entire story.  We have to keep track of how all things tie into him.  We already know that Sawyer ran into his father, and that Jack also ran into Desmond.  And don't forget that the person Sarah killed in her car accident was Shannon's father.  Three tie-ins that point to Jack.  I am going to focus heavily on this theory as the weeks go on!

467500[/snapback]

Tie Jin and Sun into this and I'll give you instant credibility.

How about this theory...that Jack is the focus of this entire story.  We have to keep track of how all things tie into him.  We already know that Sawyer ran into his father, and that Jack also ran into Desmond.  And don't forget that the person Sarah killed in her car accident was Shannon's father.  Three tie-ins that point to Jack.  I am going to focus heavily on this theory as the weeks go on!

467500[/snapback]

OK...I'm responding to my own posts, but now I'm on fire with this idea. Locke said that he needed Jack to help him with the countdown...that he had to hit the button. Could the island have directed Locke to manipulate Jack? How much of what Locke has done on the island has involved Jack in some way. Jack is always skeptical of Locke's ideas, etc., yet a lot of times he caves and goes along with Locke's plans.

Good God! I think I'm really onto something here!

Actually, it would make a stay about 1 1/2 years. :blink: But, Desmond did say that Kelvin was there for a while. So, averaging b/w them.... They also never said what would happen to the replacee; how they would get back to civilization or if they would just stay on the island until they died.

467491[/snapback]

I was going on the idea that if a new person came every 540 days, and it was a two person job, that would mean that each person's shift was 1080 days (108x10) or just under 3 years. Desmond said that he had been there about 3 years.

Sorry, I said 3 1/2 earlier. It is just under 3 years for 1080 days.

Edited by pkwwjd

Looking at that picture closer.... anyone think Desmond looks a little like RJ? :blink:

When did the ignominy of ignominies happen and he got a Super Bowl ring then dropped off the map? Wasn't that three years ago? We now know what he's been doing since.... 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42, EXECUTE.