Lost 02.03 Discussion Thread

duey

I ahve a feeling that Jin's english comes from a dream sequence, and not from actual on the island dialogue.

467179[/snapback]

You know...I thought the same thing, but couldn't figure out why that would be the case. He's been speaking Korean the entire time...why change to English in a dream.

UConn's post about Jin going on that business trip to the US makes sense. Why would he be sent to give an important associate a gift if he could not speak English (assuming that the associate was American)? I think this guy is shrewd, and knew that he would have a big advantage over the rest of the survivors if he didn't let on that he knew English.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know...I thought the same thing, but couldn't figure out why that would be the case.  He's been speaking Korean the entire time...why change to English in a dream.

UConn's post about Jin going on that business trip to the US makes sense.  Why would he be sent to give an important associate a gift if he could not speak English (assuming that the associate was American)?  I think this guy is shrewd, and knew that he would have a big advantage over the rest of the survivors if he didn't let on that he knew English.

467191[/snapback]

What if the island gave Jin the gift of English, like it gave Locke the use of his legs back? Jin is definitely going to start playing a bigger part methinks. What was it he said in the preview, "Everything is going to change"?

except his english is perfect

ever hear asian graduate students speak english? it hurts the brain (seriously...during seminars, you expend more energy trying to figure out what they're saying before you can even get to understanding the science)

perhaps Jin's a mole of some sort also?

so much silly speculation  :D

467163[/snapback]

Yeah, I had grad students like that.... :D But they were never half as bad as one guy I had in a history gen-ed. Ralph Ferraro for anyone who ever runs into the biggest a--hole alive.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is just a teaser.

You gotta admit it's funny to think that the whole island thingy was started by a couple of dorks at the University of Michigan (I think it was Michigan). And the weird guy who bankrolled their 'Utopian Society' scheme, you know he's coming back in the story somehow.

467199[/snapback]

Yeah. That guy looked too ominous, and intentionally shadowed, to not be behind some seriously dark stuff.

You gotta admit it's funny to think that the whole island thingy was started by a couple of dorks at the University of Michigan (I think it was Michigan). And the weird guy who bankrolled their 'Utopian Society' scheme, you know he's coming back in the story somehow.

467199[/snapback]

I don't think everything that is going on on the island is attributable to the Dharma project. There's too much odd crap that has happened for it all to be related to a 1980's psych experiment.

Someone needs to try and draw a big flow chart about how everything is related. Here are the groups/people I am aware of, feel free to add or correct.

1. Main Lost group with Jack, Locke, etc

2. French chick

3. Ethan (deceased?)

4. Others

5. Desmond

6. Kelvin, an unseen character who recruited Desmond to push the button and then died, who also represents the last contact with the Dharma Corporation

7. Secondary Lost group with Shaft and Cupcake, who seem to have gone primitive to stay alive

8. Unexplainable - for polar bears and invisible,whirring and seemingly mechanical devices that grab people and try to drag them down holes

Now how do they all tie together? I have no friggin clue.

operant conditioning

n. Psychology

A process of behavior modification in which the likelihood of a specific behavior is increased or decreased through positive or negative reinforcement each time the behavior is exhibited, so that the subject comes to associate the pleasure or displeasure of the reinforcement with the behavior.

This is the behavioral psychology associated with BF Skinner, who was mentioned in the DHARMA Institute Film. This is different from classical conditioning in that classical you just associate responses (Pavlov's dog food & bell). In operant conditioning, you don't learn by trial & error -- there is no error.

Check out B F Skinner page on Operant Conditioning. It mentions something that eventually the operant (test subject) "can come under the control of the stimulus".

Just passing on info ...

Someone needs to try and draw a big flow chart about how everything is related.

467285[/snapback]

Ha! When is the last time a show was so good that people were talking about making a flow chart to follow it?

By the way, the video said that the "shift" for watching the button was 540 days.

108 * 5 = 540.

The people who captured Jinn, Sawyer, and Michael aren't "The Others", they have to be the other survivors. And from the looks of it, they've been fighting "The Others" for a while now.

Where are stations 1 and 2?

467043[/snapback]

I was wondering that as well. Are they on the same island? or a neighboring island?

Also, are there other higher stations like 4, 5, 6?

I was wondering that as well. Are they on the same island? or a neighboring island?

Also, are there other higher stations like 4, 5, 6?

467323[/snapback]

Didn't the film say "Part 3 of 6"?

I loved the Locke-Jack quote:

L:"Why do you find it so hard to believe?"

J:"Why do you find it so easy?"

I also think there was a serious connection b/w Locke's need to sit outside of his father's (tho this is questionable -- the guy was rich; he could have found out who was a possible match and devised the con) house and his desire to sit in front of the computer. It's not for nothing that they showed that flashback. Some people, like Helen, believe that he is brooding with anger. That certainly is part of it. But there is an air of Locke wanting to take control back, but the manifestation of which just has him just sitting there in both scenarios. The wheelchair is the perfect euphamism by the writers for the character's personality.

Someone needs to try and draw a big flow chart about how everything is related. Here are the groups/people I am aware of, feel free to add or correct.

1. Main Lost group with Jack, Locke, etc

2. French chick

3. Ethan (deceased?)

4. Others

5. Desmond

6. Kelvin, an unseen character who recruited Desmond to push the button and then died, who also represents the last contact with the Dharma Corporation

7. Secondary Lost group with Shaft and Cupcake, who seem to have gone primitive to stay alive

8. Unexplainable - for polar bears and invisible,whirring and seemingly mechanical devices that grab people and try to drag them down holes

Now how do they all tie together? I have no friggin clue.

467285[/snapback]

Some, if not all the strange phenomena can be explained by the "Dharma Experiment." In the film they said that among the subjects explored by the Dharma project was zoology and they showed a polar bear. The "monster" i think is a system of boobytraps to protect the Dharma chamber.

Concerning Jin, what if he is from the Dharma project? As well as Clair psychic? What if the shadowy founder of Dharma is Jin's wife's father? What if he ownes Oceanic Airlines and other transnational carriers such as shipping lines?

Concerning the electromagnetic source - I think it could have been designed to bring down plans and disrupt navigation on ships. Or, what if it alters the weather around the island? Along these lines, anyone remember what the pilot told Jack what happened just prior to the crash? Could the electro magnet been so powerful (or maybe a cncentrated beam) so as to rip a plane apart? We still have no explanation as to why a plane would be torn in two in midair.

What about the possibility (thinking of the whole psychology aspect) that Locke didn't lose use of his legs because of injury, but rather some lingering psychological/anger issue? Just thinking back to my earlier post on operant conditioning.

Didn't the film say "Part 3 of 6"?

I loved the Locke-Jack quote:

L:"Why do you find it so hard to believe?"

J:"Why do you find it so easy?"

I also think there was a serious connection b/w Locke's need to sit outside of his father's (tho this is questionable -- the guy was rich; he could have found out who was a possible match and devised the con) house and his desire to sit in front of the computer. It's not for nothing that they showed that flashback. Some people, like Helen, believe that he is brooding with anger. That certainly is part of it. But there is an air of Locke wanting to take control back, but the manifestation of which just has him just sitting there in both scenarios. The wheelchair is the perfect euphamism by the writers for the character's personality.

467355[/snapback]

Remember, "Everything happens for a reason". Locke's obsession is definetly related to his experience on the island....

I dont think it was his dad either. Just a rich guy who needed a kidney. and found a match.

oh yeah, one other thought I had when I woke up this morning - The gate in front of Locke's father's house - did that gate have the same or similar "Dharma" pentagon symbol? I don't remember.

I think we are dealing with a Masons type secret society with Dharma. We may find shadowy figues all over.

What about the possibility (thinking of the whole psychology aspect) that Locke didn't lose use of his legs because of injury, but rather some lingering psychological/anger issue?  Just thinking back to my earlier post on operant conditioning.

467363[/snapback]

That's a good theory. I still see there being a massive hole in Locke's back story, with lots of info to fill in.

That's a good theory.  I still see there being a massive hole in Locke's back story, with lots of info to fill in.

467371[/snapback]

It would make the recovery of use of his leg's much easier to explain, not so mystical ...

Concerning Jin, what if he is from the Dharma project? As well as Clair psychic? What if the shadowy founder of Dharma is Jin's wife's father? What if he ownes Oceanic Airlines and other transnational carriers such as shipping lines?

467362[/snapback]

Are you talking founder or the benfactor that funded the project? Wasn't the name of the guy who funded the project 'de Groot'?

I made a mental note of that name because I recognize it from somewhere also - but it escapes me. It might have something to do with math or finance or maybe science. A quick google search didn't help me much.

oh yeah, one other thought I had when I woke up this morning - The gate in front of Locke's father's house - did that gate have the same or similar "Dharma" pentagon symbol? I don't remember.

467368[/snapback]

Really? I missed that. That would be interesting.

This brings me back to the shark fin last week, where was the symbol? On the dorsal fin or the tail fin? I never saw it.