Lost 02.03 Discussion Thread

duey

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't classify this as a spoiler as it was discussed in the TV listings of my local paper...apparently Hurley is given a job to complete in the hatch house, and his memories get in the way.

Here comes more Hurley backstory! Hugo rules!

I don't classify this as a spoiler as it was discussed in the TV listings of my local paper...apparently Hurley is given a job to complete in the hatch house, and his memories get in the way.

Here comes more Hurley backstory!  Hugo rules!

473740[/snapback]

Hurley's awesome. I know about 20 people who would probably act like he does in similar situations.

My favorite from last week was when he walked in the pantry/provision room and just said "Dude." :blink: I don't know why I find him so entertaining, maybe he's just a little more like the rest of us than Jack, Sawyer, et al.

operant conditioning

n. Psychology

A process of behavior modification in which the likelihood of a specific behavior is increased or decreased through positive or negative reinforcement each time the behavior is exhibited, so that the subject comes to associate the pleasure or displeasure of the reinforcement with the behavior.

This is the behavioral psychology associated with BF Skinner, who was mentioned in the DHARMA Institute Film.  This is different from classical conditioning in that classical you just associate responses (Pavlov's dog food & bell).  In operant conditioning, you don't learn by trial & error -- there is no error.

Check out B F Skinner page on Operant Conditioning.  It mentions something that eventually the operant (test subject) "can come under the control of the stimulus".

Just passing on info ...

467296[/snapback]

I took a psych class last semester, and the mention of BF Skinner made my ears perk up. I've got to believe that entering the code and pushing the button is an expirement in operant conditioning.

To summarize operant condidtioning, Skinner was doing some studies on rats. He ran out of their reward, food, and decided to cut back on the amount he gave them when they accomplished their specific task in the experiment.

What he found was that, although the rats were receiving less and less in terms of reward, they still completed their task in the same manner in which they did when they were being well-rewarded. The rats continued to complete their tasks even after all reward had been removed.

That, in a nutshell, is operant conditioning, and why I think the code and the button is somehow an extension of Skinner's work.

I took a psych class last semester, and the mention of BF Skinner made my ears perk up.  I've got to believe that entering the code and pushing the button is an expirement in operant conditioning.

To summarize operant condidtioning, Skinner was doing some studies on rats.  He ran out of their reward, food, and decided to cut back on the amount he gave them when they accomplished their specific task in the experiment. 

What he found was that, although the rats were receiving less and less in terms of reward, they still completed their task in the same manner in which they did when they were being well-rewarded.  The rats continued to complete their tasks even after all reward had been removed.

That, in a nutshell, is operant conditioning, and why I think the code and the button is somehow an extension of Skinner's work.

474094[/snapback]

I agree with you on the conditioning theory. As i said before, the Dharma project is one giant mind-!@#$. I think they have taken it to the extreme with the "stations" and seeing just how long people would go on pressing the code.

I believe you are slightly off on your operant conditioning tho. i've got a psych minor, and worked in a behavioral lab for over a year, and when rats arent rewarded, eventually the behavior extinguishes. (we did drug seeking studies, and when they arent getting drugs, the behavior can extinguish fairly quickly) Normally with operant conditioning, you pair the reward seeking behavior with some other random behavior. Using your example, you'd pair the rewarded lever pushing behavior with say, a buzz. Then you sound the buzz, and the rats learn to press the lever to get food. Eventually you stop rewarding them for pushing the lever during the buzz, but upon hearing it, the rats srtill press the lever. thats operant conditioning.

With Dharma, i think they were trained to enter the code every 108 minutes, just like lab rats. One big difference tho. The people it seems were told that if they didnt do it, something very bad would happen, so the Dharma project is tying fear conditioning in with the button pushing. and fear conditioning is the easiest behaviors to learn, but also the most difficult to extinguish, hence the reason they push the button for years.

With Dharma, i think they were trained to enter the code every 108 minutes, just like lab rats. One big difference tho. The people it seems were told that if they didnt do it, something very bad would happen, so the Dharma project is tying fear conditioning in with the button pushing. and fear conditioning is the easiest behaviors to learn, but also the most difficult to extinguish, hence the reason they push the button for years.

474227[/snapback]

But they arent told what happens, so this is fed by pure paranoia.

This all is really starting to reflect on/tie in with Locke's relationship with his "father."

Locke went to the house --> good feeling that he was connecting with someone, and felt good about helping him out.

Locke was used for his kidney --> positive response stimulus is removed when he sees his "father" booked from the hospital.

Locke returns to the house and is rebuffed at the gate --> waiting to see if the response will continue if he just tries hard enough,

Locke drives by and parks --> Over time, he knows there's no chance of getting the positive response anymore, but he engages in the stimulus anyway. And to show how much this has a hold on him, Locke even abandons Helen to go there.

Jack shouldn't have pushed the button.

And, what the hell is going on there that Hanso would put an Apocalypse device or whatever there, and if the code wasn't entered, BOOM? It's not possible that both people could die in a fall, a flesh-eating virus, or "some pissed off girafee"? That's one pretty sh--ty security system.