Lost 02.03 Discussion Thread

duey

Unless I'm blind as a bat, I don't see a thread for this weeks episode? Are we all agog over the Sabres opening win? Is it the Bills QB controversy that has distracted us? Nevertheless, I'll get us going with some random observations.

Pretty gripping episode, though I have to say that I was a little disappointed at a couple of things...

Peg Bundy?!?!? Yikes. That one threw me completely off.

Very upset that Jack caved and pushed the button. Shows me that he is slowly falling prey to the will of the island. Obviously Locke thinks he was meant to keep the countdown going, but Jack getting himself involved is a clear sign that he is breaking down. Now I wonder how long they are going to be caught up in hitting the button. Remembering Walt from last week..."Hit the button. All buttons aren't bad" or something to that effect I bet there is another button in there somewhere that does something very interesting.

Michelle Rodriguez being a plant in the pit was too predictable. I do like the little dynamic that is developing between her (Cupcake) and Sawyer. Obviously they'll be getting off on beating the crap out of each other.

Now my other thoughts...

The film was made in 1980, in case anyone missed the credits. Good to confirm that the whole thing isn't associated with aliens. Wonder what the incident was?

Is the electromagnetic anomaly that exists on the island the reason that the random boats, planes, etc. have made their way to the island? I keep thinking back about the reason for the Blackrock being there. I'm thinking this is the case...almost like a Bermude Triangle kind of thing. Maybe the electromagnetic force pulls you in if you have to get too close, and subtley tweaks the guidance systems of most others, keeping them away.

Hugo when he sees the food..."Dude." :D

I like Desmond...and obviously we're going to see him again. I'm glad he and Jack realized their connection...I think that is going to come into play at a latter point. Brother.

Locke's father is such a dick. I can't believe that he just let Locke sit around outside his house every night...I would have called the cops.

And thank you for the flashback of Kate's rack in the air duct. :D

The topic is the television show Lost. Discuss.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the pinned thread so wasn't sure if we were going to 1 thread or what but here's my thoughts.

Yeah seeing that Helen was a real person (not a phone sex operator) was a shock. Of course there's an outside shot the girl Locke was on the phone with wasn't the real Helen and infact is a phone sex operator. Yet I think the real case might be that Helen distanced herself from Locke but they keep their relationship through the phone but that's as far as it goes. Hence her declining John's invitation to go on the Walkabout.

I still think there's a question as to whether the guy that took Locke's kidney was his true father. As the quote was about a father figuere.

I agree about whole heartily about Jack pressing the button thing of course maybe he did it to eliviate himself of being a leader (a role he never seemed to want to begin with). Another thing that struck me was Jack's standoffish approach to Desmond about talking about his ex-wife.

I must be naive as didnt see the Ana Lucia as a plant at all of course it could be because I might know something that some of the rest of you don't. I loved Sawyer's nickname of "Shaft" :D

Though the most shocking thing to me came in the previews of next weeks episode.

Michelle Rodriguez being a plant in the pit was too predictable.  I do like the little dynamic that is developing between her (Cupcake) and Sawyer.  Obviously they'll be getting off on beating the crap out of each other.

466953[/snapback]

I thought it was pretty obvious she was a plant too. Her story about surviving on the island all that time by herself was lame.

Previews are fair game for discussion in this thread. And as such, I have one thing to say. We saw something in the preview that I KNEW was the case since early last season...Jin can speak English! HA! Good for me. :D

I think the father figure reference just meant that Locke hadn't had one, so coming back into his life would probably be pretty easy. And remember this...the dad pretty much knew that Locke could give him the kidney, meaning that it would be a match. If Locke was just some stranger that was scammed, there would be no guarantee that the kidney would be a match.

Previews are fair game for discussion in this thread.  And as such, I have one thing to say.  We saw something in the preview that I KNEW was the case since early last season...Jin can speak English!  HA!  Good for me.  :D

I think the father figure reference just meant that Locke hadn't had one, so coming back into his life would probably be pretty easy.  And remember this...the dad pretty much knew that Locke could give him the kidney, meaning that it would be a match.  If Locke was just some stranger that was scammed, there would be no guarantee that the kidney would be a match.

467005[/snapback]

Yeah the Jin speaking English thing was what I meant. I DVR'd the episode and going to have to watch it again as Locke said we need to checkout that film again.

I dont really know what to think. I really think I just need to see it again. The show's giving away too much sometimes, but as always, they give back something more. I think Analucia was getting good information for her tribe, but when she sees Jack again, the two groups will come together. Like I said, I think I need to see it again.

I dont really know what to think. I really think I just need to see it again. The show's giving away too much sometimes, but as always, they give back something more. I think Analucia was getting good information for her tribe, but when she sees Jack again, the two groups will come together. Like I said, I think I need to see it again.

467042[/snapback]

The other survivors look like they totally went the "Lord of the Flies" route, undoubtedly resulting from an assumed complete lack of food, supplies, etc. One also has to wonder if they have had on-going battles with The Others.

Oh, and Puhonix, Bills 16 Fish 7. :D

The other survivors look like they totally went the "Lord of the Flies" route, undoubtedly resulting from an assumed complete lack of food, supplies, etc.  One also has to wonder if they have had on-going battles with The Others.

Oh, and Puhonix, Bills 16 Fish 7.  :D

467060[/snapback]

I thought "Lord of the Flies" as well. And I also think that the others are constantly attacking this group, instead of the survivors we know and love (and in UCONNs case, love too much, even when the airs been let out. Honestly, two weeks in a row! Gross!).

Here's an idea: The others know there's a golden boy on the island. They attack Analucia's survivors thinking that's where he is. Ethan is in the minority and finds the other group, attacks them, and when he doesnt come back, his friends search for him and find Walt. Desmond, completely left out of this, in his hatch, safely.

Bills 16, Phins 7? I assume that's the 3 FGs approach, since two TDs and a Safety is too much to ask for? And Im tired of the Dolphins being referred to as fish.

Beef 9, Dolphins 24.

For the countdown, I was with Jack. The Institute (what was the name for it? DHARMA Institute?) did research in psychology. One of the widely known experiments in that field was to see how far people would go in doing their job according to explicit instructions --- they had to shock people with electricity when they answered a question wrong. The "subject" being shocked would yell, scream, or say they had a heart condition and it was amazing to see how many people continued to shock them at higher and higher levels. For one guy, he kept doing it after a person that yelled and complained of heart trouble fell silent. Perhaps this is a just a big experiment in seeing how far someone who may not know the whole story will go (that countdown buzzer is a classic pressure-inducing variable) when they think they're saving the world or themselves from imminent destruction; and the DHARMA people either set up the electromagnet to pull people onto the island or they set it up on this shipwreck-prone island. They also called this the third one.

I think Locke just called the phone lady "Helen" just because he wanted to pretend it was Helen. It wasn't Peg Bundy's voice, and that would be a major error.

For Phunix's theory regarding the record player setup, it's weird, b/c this week had the records lined up and the chrome player, not the wood one. I can't offer an explanation other than a goof or that Desmond, in all his spare time while holding hostages and being held hostage, changed his stereo system to accessorize in the current silver TV and kitchen appliance craze.

Jokeman, what do you know about Analucia? Label it SPOILER and put it in yellow text. It caught me by surprise that she was a plant. And it also kind of makes you wonder about the "Others" if they even are the same Others that took Walt, which I have doubts about. We're so caught up in them being 'the other' that it seems a conceit by the writers to show that 'others' aren't always evil, just that they're from a different group that is very similar to your own. Is anyone trying to say that beat-downs didn't happen on the beach last season?

So Jin can speak English. That puts a change of perspective on everything that happened last season. I wondered last year why a guy would go to America and make no plans for how to get by in language.

Bills 16, Phins 7? I assume that's the 3 FGs approach, since two TDs and a Safety is too much to ask for? And Im tired of the Dolphins being referred to as fish.

Beef 9, Dolphins 24.

467119[/snapback]

Well, of course three FGs. And don't forget that Buffalo is the trendy meet to eat. :D

What about this? Kate asks where the front door is...so we see the door...where's the quaranteen sign? Why would it be on what you would expect to be an emergency exit and not the main door?

And Im tired of the Dolphins being referred to as fish.

467119[/snapback]

Everytime I hear that I think of the Marine Biologist episode of Seinfeld where George keeps calling whales "fish" and Jerry keeps interrupting "mammal".

But now we're getting way off topic.

It caught me by surprise that she was a plant. And it also kind of makes you wonder about the "Others" if they even are the same Others that took Walt, which I have doubts about. We're so caught up in them being 'the other' that it seems a conceit by the writers to show that 'others' aren't always evil, just that they're from a different group that is very similar to your own.

So Jin can speak English. That puts a change of perspective on everything that happened last season. I wondered last year why a guy would go to America and make no plans for how to get by in language.

467122[/snapback]

I think "the others" and the other 815 survivors are two separate groups. It looks like the other survivors have been living a pretty tough existence (Shaft looks like a Zulu warrior!), while the ones on the boat looked pretty healthy (plus they had a boat).

Everytime I hear that I think of the Marine Biologist episode of Seinfeld where George keeps calling whales "fish" and Jerry keeps interrupting "mammal".

But now we're getting way off topic.

467146[/snapback]

Even for the off topic group.

467122[/snapback]

except his english is perfect

ever hear asian graduate students speak english? it hurts the brain (seriously...during seminars, you expend more energy trying to figure out what they're saying before you can even get to understanding the science)

perhaps Jin's a mole of some sort also?

so much silly speculation :D

except his english is perfect

ever hear asian graduate students speak english? it hurts the brain (seriously...during seminars, you expend more energy trying to figure out what they're saying before you can even get to understanding the science)

perhaps Jin's a mole of some sort also?

so much silly speculation  :D

467163[/snapback]

I ahve a feeling that Jin's english comes from a dream sequence, and not from actual on the island dialogue.