Kelly Holcomb and the '91 Skins

ajzepp

First of all, just because we (may) start Holcomb this week doesn't mean JP is done as the starter this year. So many people on here are catastrophizing extremists that it's ridiculous!! :blink:

Okay, here's the deal: Anyone remember the '91 Skins that went like 13-3 and whipped us in the Metrodome come the following January? Remeber their QB? It was a guy named Mark Rypien. Why do I bring up Mark Rypien? Cause aside from that super bowl year, he really didn't amount to much of anything. For most of his career, he was a journeyman QB who threw a good long ball. He was just the right guy for the job in Washington that year.

Enter Kelly Holcomb - journeyman QB. Regardless of what some of you doomsdayers think, there IS talent on this team....a damn LOT of talent. How do you know that plugging in a QB like Holcomb will not end up allowing us to really take a shot at the postseason? How do you know we don't have a '91 Redskins type year in us? I can tell you how we can know we DON'T have that in us, and that's by allowing a few more losses to tally up before pulling out of the nosedive. We get solid QB play, our wideouts are happy, Willis gets even more yardage, our defense plays better, and our ST and coaching follow suit.....WHY NOT???

Lachey and co. had more to do with it than Rypien. I don't think our offensive line has many things in common with the hogs

466685[/snapback]

True, I thought about that....but they didn't have a back like Willis either. To me, Willis can do more for this team than the coaches have allowed him to do this year. That 'skins line was damn good, though....can't argue with that.

True, I thought about that....but they didn't have a back like Willis either. To me, Willis can do more for this team than the coaches have allowed him to do this year. That 'skins line was damn good, though....can't argue with that.

466691[/snapback]

Ernest Byner was a great running back- I won't say hall of famer, but I think the fumble tarnished his image more than it should have- a missed block gave a defender an open shot at the ball. In his prime, he was fast, and a load.

That's a great and positive post. I definitely love that attitude. The major difference between us and that team, though, was the o-line. I believe they still had some members of the Hogs. Our line, not so much. But that said, our division is defintitely winnable this year, especially with the first place Dolphins coming to town (that is one of the most awful things I could ever say, sorry :blink: ). Anyways, it might be the spark we need. I just wanna get into the playoffs again. Then, I can get my heart broken :( . But i'm with you, the season ain't over. Go Bills!!!

That's a great and positive post.  I definitely love that attitude.  The major difference between us and that team, though, was the o-line.  I believe they still had some members of the Hogs.  Our line, not so much.  But that said, our division is defintitely winnable this year, especially with the first place Dolphins coming to town (that is one of the most awful things I could ever say, sorry  :blink: ).  Anyways, it might be the spark we need.  I just wanna get into the playoffs again.  Then, I can get my heart broken  :( .  But i'm with you, the season ain't over.  Go Bills!!!

466694[/snapback]

I hear ya about the Dolphins....I think I'm still preventing myself from taking them seriously, so I haven't really validated their first place status in my mind yet LOL. I think I just really expected our defense to be BETTER than it was last year, and I figured we'd be winning games like the 2000 Ravens won games....but now that we're 1-3, I've really become scared at the idea of being out of the playoff race by midseason, you know? We went through that crap last year.....maybe Kelly isn't the answer, but if there's even a chance that he can at least get us a seat at the final table (so to speak), I'm in favor of taking it. Like most others, I still feel JP is going to end up getting it together and turning into a good, solid QB....but we have enought talent on this team right now to take a shot. The Pats are ripe, the Fins are smoke and mirrors, and the jets are in disarray. I just want us to take a shot, that's all. JP's ego will be fine....heck, he may even benefit from a few weeks off.

Ernest Byner was a great running back- I won't say hall of famer, but I think the fumble tarnished his image more than it should have- a missed block gave a defender an open shot at the ball. In his prime, he was fast, and a load.

466692[/snapback]

He and Kevin Mack were the last duo to rush for 1,000+ yards each, if memory serves.

You're right - Byner was one tough hombre.

The Kosar Browns were fine clubs. So were some that Sipe qb'd.

He and Kevin Mack were the last duo to rush for 1,000+ yards each, if memory serves.

466706[/snapback]

I remember Mack truck- Kosar was a stud, but I never got to see Sipe, unfortunately

466706[/snapback]

Kevin Mack...wow, I haven't thought about that guy in a while. Sipe was the QB when I was a kid, so I have some recollection of him, too. But yeah, Mack was a damn beast of a back. Byner was really good, too....I just think Willis is better.

Kevin Mack...wow, I haven't thought about that guy in a while. Sipe was the QB when I was a kid, so I have some recollection of him, too. But yeah, Mack was a damn beast of a back. Byner was really good, too....I just think Willis is better.

466710[/snapback]

Mack Truck was tougher than a $1 steak

WHY NOT???

Because the Bills don't have a single O-Lineman that could've started on that team, and probably some that would not make the roster at all. Rypien didn't have anyone within 5-6 yards or more from him for 5-6 seconds after the snap. The OL would often have the defense engaged exactly where they started before the play.