an annoying trend

the claim that cornerbacks are easy to find and aren't as important as defensive linemen or offensive linemen or even linebackers is so wrong. i'm cynical enough to believe that people say this because the bills are relatively solid at cb, and they can't really B word that much. so instead they B word about what they *can* B word about and claim it's the most important aspect of a team.

if you want proof, look at teams with very solid talent on the defensive line in the past 6-7 who had lousy secondaries: New Orleans, St. Louis, and even Minnesota. Bad secondaries have killed them. you need guys who can cover - that's why personnel people like donohoe, john butler, jimmy johnson, parcells, rich mckay, belicheck/pioli, and banner/reid draft so many of them in the early rounds and pay relatively big bucks for free agents.

on an unrelated note, i've seen i think 3 posts claiming that lindell missed a "pressure kick" against NO. um, no. it was the first half, and the bills were down 10-7. in fact, lindell didn't miss a pressure kick against the steelers last year - the bills were ahead at the time. a pressure kick is a kick at or near the end of the game with the game on the line. all kickers miss kicks, although lindell, who is 33-38 (87%) since the beginning of last year, misses fewer than most.

all kickers miss kicks, although lindell, who is 33-38 (87%) since the beginning of last year, misses fewer than most.

466429[/snapback]

Well, as long as they keep asking him to kick FGs of 40 yards or less, he'll do fine.

on an unrelated note, i've seen i think 3 posts claiming that lindell missed a "pressure kick" against NO. um, no. it was the first half, and the bills were down 10-7.

466429[/snapback]

Uh, Dave, I almost always agree with your football stuff. But, the way the Bills offense has been playing, any field goal attempt from Lindell, at this point, is a "pressure" kick! :blink:

Or, as TMQ put it this week:

Stats of the Week No. 7: Buffalo kicker Rian Lindell, who missed a key 45-yard field-goal attempt in the Bills-Saints game, has not hit a field goal from beyond 44 yards since November 2002.

We're rapidly approaching 3 years.

Or, as TMQ put it this week:

We're rapidly approaching 3 years.

466475[/snapback]

God bless ya rubes, this guy sucks. At least with Norwood, you knew automatic inside 40, questionable outsie 40, but money when the kick mattered. This guy, ya just never know.

God bless ya rubes, this guy sucks. At least with Norwood, you knew automatic inside 40, questionable outsie 40, but money when the kick mattered. This guy, ya just never know.

466489[/snapback]

i actually buy some of the criticism of lindell - you do want a guy who can make a long kick. but norwood was money? remember that raiders game in 91 where he missed like 3 kicks (one as time expired) and an extra point? and - dare i say it -, super bowl XXV? christie is a better example. he'd miss some, but he was pretty darn good with the game on the line.

on an unrelated note, i've seen i think 3 posts claiming that lindell missed a "pressure kick" against NO. um, no. it was the first half, and the bills were down 10-7. in fact, lindell didn't miss a pressure kick against the steelers last year - the bills were ahead at the time. a pressure kick is a kick at or near the end of the game with the game on the line.  all kickers miss kicks, although lindell, who is 33-38 (87%) since the beginning of last year, misses fewer than most.

466429[/snapback]

I think most kickers would have a 87% if their coach rarely called for them to kick from beyond 40 yards (which was a disturbing trend last year). What's Lindell's % from 40+ yards out?

the claim that cornerbacks are easy to find and aren't as important as defensive linemen or offensive linemen or even linebackers is so wrong. i'm cynical enough to believe that people say this because the bills are relatively solid at cb, and they can't really B word that much. so instead they B word about what they *can* B word about and claim it's the most important aspect of a team.

if you want proof, look at teams with very solid talent on the defensive line in the past 6-7 who had lousy secondaries: New Orleans, St. Louis, and even Minnesota. Bad secondaries have killed them. you need guys who can cover - that's why personnel people like donohoe, john butler, jimmy johnson, parcells, rich mckay, belicheck/pioli, and banner/reid draft so many of them in the early rounds and pay relatively big bucks for free agents. 

on an unrelated note, i've seen i think 3 posts claiming that lindell missed a "pressure kick" against NO. um, no. it was the first half, and the bills were down 10-7. in fact, lindell didn't miss a pressure kick against the steelers last year - the bills were ahead at the time. a pressure kick is a kick at or near the end of the game with the game on the line.  all kickers miss kicks, although lindell, who is 33-38 (87%) since the beginning of last year, misses fewer than most.

466429[/snapback]

It's balance. You can have 4 sticky-buns in your secondary, but if your DL and LB's get ragdolled, any team with an ounce of brains will run you to death and eat up the clock to the point that the defenders, even the shining backfield stars, are tripping on their tongue.

Top flight db's become mediocre when any qb gets an extra second or two.

It's balance. You can have 4 sticky-buns in your secondary, but if your DL and LB's get ragdolled, any team with an ounce of brains will run you to death and eat up the clock to the point that the defenders, even the shining backfield stars, are tripping on their tongue.

Top flight db's become mediocre when any qb gets an extra second or two.

466532[/snapback]

and top flight defensive linemen are useless against good passing teams if the secondary can't cover. that's why DTs, pass rushing defensive ends, and cover corners are the most highly prized commodities, and why they are at the top of the salary scale.

and top flight defensive linemen are useless against good passing teams if the secondary can't cover. that's why DTs, pass rushing defensive ends, and cover corners are the most highly prized commodities, and why they are at the top of the salary scale.

466567[/snapback]

Like I said..balance. My preference is being solid in the DL and then LB. I'll take my chances in the secondary under today's "He frowned at me - where's the flag!!" rules.