Is benching JP the correct development tool

Like all Bills fans I am really disappointed in the lack of production by JPL as our QB.

There seem to be two reasons primarily for this being the case. I express them in no particular order of import because both things NECESSARILY must occur in order for the Bills to get the production we need at QB and neither is SUFFICIENT in and of itself to work if the other item is missing.

1. JP must simply play better-

He is at fault and the blame is correctly on him for not performing the items necessary to be successful in the NFL. He is a great athlete no doubt. He has a strong will also. His running for his life, improvising and still suceeding at Tulane are real indicators of his athletic talent. However, this style will not suceed in the long run against the faster, bigger. amarter pro players.

I have no doubts that JP is a great athlete and so much better than those who wail in the media or on TSW that he is a bad athlete that the comparison ain't even funny.

However, JP simply develop and show productive playing a more under control game and not free-lancing. If he has the skill to rein it in a bit and still be effective then he will be good. If not, the mistake is the Bills braintrust and though understandable we will pay the cost.

2. The braintrust needs to simply coach better-

What JP is being asked to do is a lot but other QBs have done this so it is not an unreasonable request. He has the athletic skills, is working hard and showing good diligence and seems to have the mental ability to see things and answer questions (Jim Kelly has demonstrated you do not need to be a mental giant or even a high quality person to be successful at QB). A large share of the blame falls to the coaching staff which simply has not called productive games given JPs strengths and limitations.

The O is so bad and the team has been so non-competitive, that if one is looking to answer the question of where do you start first, the player or the coaches, i think these coaches made a decision to go with a young player at QB rather than a vet specifically so they could do exactly what they wanted.

If one is looking to play the blame game, you have to blame the coaches first. I think they have made this bed and we are going to have to stay the course with JP to try to make it work.

Guest BackInDaDay
Jim Kelly has demonstrated you do not need to be a mental giant or even a high quality person to be successful at QB.

466184[/snapback]

Did he steal your girl? :D