Miami Wins Big At Buffalo

Puhonix

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't this the game that Ricky Williams is coming back?  For some reason, that is ringing in my head.  I do see Ronnie Brown getting some yards on us, but if he has a BIG DAY... it will be more how Deuce McCallister did it and not like his Auburn teammate did.

464934[/snapback]

Ricky was suspended for 4 games, Miami had their bye last week, so this is Miami's 4th game -- no Ricky

Guest BackInDaDay
Expect an improved run defense with Anderson playing now for Edwards. Had we split TOP with the Saints this past week the run defense would have had a very good outing, and look for the same. Bottom line, I expect the D to give us 30 minutes of good football. If our offense can take the other side of that by holding the ball for an equal amount of time we'll have a good day. If the offense needs the D to play 35-40 minutes our lack of DT depth will once again cause us to fail to meet the test.

464909[/snapback]

Anderson is playing because Edwards is injured. I'm well aware of your opinion of Edwards and how the Bills' coaches have him playing out of position, but it took an injury to bench him... more ammo for your attacks on our coaches.

As far as 'splitting the TOP' , that's a two way street. With the game still up for grabs, it was our D that caved, not NO's. You have a valid argument in how we attacked (or didn't attack) their D, but I don't recall anyone connected with the Bills ever suggested that by week 4 the O would be capable of doing anything more than managing the game. Our dominant D and ST units were going to create turnovers and favorable field position for the O. Our STs have begun to pull that weight, the D still hasn't.

On their side of the 50 opposing Ds cannot give up the yards between the tackles to Willis that they're willing to concede in our end. What they will do is tighten things up in the middle, as not to concede a battle of field position. This will lead to more access to their flanks. Simply put, softer man or zone coverages against our wide-outs which JP may be ready to exploit.

And a word to the wise, this Miami front seven is quick aggressive group coached by a sophisticated staff that would laugh at such one-dimensional 'run the damn ball' gameplans as I've read about on this board for the last couple days. Our coaches are well aware of what Saban's guys will give our O and their gameplan will be a compromise between what the Dolphins give and what they feel their young QB can take. It ain't rocket surgery.

I don't know if JP can make plays this Sunday, anymore than last, but looking at the numbers suggests that Miami's Achille's heel is their secondary. If we can't mix the pass with the run, we'll never get our O untracked against them. Our D has to help give the O some short field situations in which to work things out.

From the Fox Power Rankings:  — The Dolphins will give Bills fans "Frerotte Envy."

465746[/snapback]

Oh, your crow will be FUN to serve, Puhonix.

You're not the first (and certainly not the last) of the Dullfans around here that will feel the heat :)

From the Fox Power Rankings:  — The Dolphins will give Bills fans "Frerotte Envy."

465746[/snapback]

We're talking Fox here. The National Enquirer of sports analysis.

Oh, your crow will be FUN to serve, Puhonix.

You're not the first (and certainly not the last) of the Dullfans around here that will feel the heat :)

465751[/snapback]

But I will be here to take that heat. Though honestly, I think I'll be here to collect apologies from the likes of you.

We're talking Fox here.  The National Enquirer of sports analysis.

465755[/snapback]

Not just sports...

465746[/snapback]

This would be the same "Power Rankings" that had the Bills up at #7 last week, and still at #14 and one spot below your beloved Dolphins... :D You might want to choose your quoted sources more carefully next time... :D

With the game still up for grabs, it was our D that caved, not NO's.

465538[/snapback]

An NFL defense that holds their opponent to less than 20 points would typically be spared being fingered by fans as the culprit in a loss- especially a defense who was forced onto the field for at least two extra series by their ineffective offense. I think you give too little credit to a DLine who played a solid 30 minutes with virtually no quality depth behind them. It's hard to ignore that Duece McAlister racked up over 45% of his rushing yardage on their final drive.

If we can simply put together 20 first downs on offense, the D we're fielding now is capable of making the Fish look inept. Problem we've been having though is our offense since week 2 has been averaging about 13 first downs a game.

Yeah yeah yeah, its me. And while I really dont think we'll win big, I do think the Fins can come back with a W when all is said and done.

And since this is my first Fins-Bills week since I've joined TBD, I thought I needed to add some spice to the board. After all the brigejumpers left, it got quiet in here, and a little too boring for a weekend when you're playing your hated rival.

So Frerotte is going to pick apart the secondary, and if you double cover McMichael, that'll leave Chambers open. And don't count out Welker, the kid is fast. And speaking of fast, look out for Ronnie Brown to tear up the D running up the gap and picking up 4, 5, 6 yards per carry. Probably break a few big ones, at least one for a TD.

The D will feast on JP's passing attempts, and I expect 3 picks, and possibly a fumble. Sacks will be taken generously, and often. MaGahee can only do so much, and 40 carries will tire him out when you need him in the second half.

Now fellow posters, and So-called Bills fans. ANSWER! :D

464743[/snapback]

que?

This week the bills will break out...1st divisional game of the year, coming off 3 straight losses...if you think this team isnt gonna be fired up you have got another thing coming! Spikes is prolly in the locker room threatening to break his injured foot off in someone's azz if they dont win!

say all you want about JP, but hes currently brandishing an 89.9 rating in starts against AFC teams...

And for gus...its gus frerotte...thats all that needs to be said...with him you are 1 goalpost away from having to start aj feely (now there was a great way to spend a 2nd rounder)

:D  :D  :D

465928[/snapback]

Like a hyena, the fan with the 29th rated passer facing the top pass defense in the league sees cackling as an appropriate retort to conventional NFL wisdom.

Guest BackInDaDay
An NFL defense that holds their opponent to less than 20 points would typically be spared being fingered by fans as the culprit in a loss- especially a defense who was forced onto the field for at least two extra series by their ineffective offense. I think you give too little credit to a DLine who played a solid 30 minutes with virtually no quality depth behind them. It's hard to ignore that Duece McAlister racked up over 45% of his rushing yardage on their final drive.

If we can simply put together 20 first downs on offense, the D we're fielding now is capable of making the Fish look inept. Problem we've been having though is our offense since week 2 has been averaging about 13 first downs a game.

465923[/snapback]

I respect your opinions AKC, but I can't agree with all of them. Though at first glance this may seem to be a 'chicken or the egg' argument. It's probably not much different than the dialog going on between coaches Gray and Clements. So I'll give you an answer Clements might give Gray, "Can you please give me a short field to work on?".

Why do I believe this is so important? Apart from the obvious, let me put in in the context of our current O capabilities and our need to bring our QB up to a productive speed.

Our O, with JP, is not capable of sustaining long scoring drives.

With the game close and us in our own end, the D can (option A) take away our medium to deep passing routes by dropping their LBs a little deeper, and giving help to the CBs with the Safeties. This frees the CBs for containment on running plays. I think this accounts for our success running between the OTs and also accounts for Willis' lack of a big gainer. We're being dictated to. We can attack that middle until they commit to stopping us by (option B) bringing their LBs upfield and adding run support from their Safeties. That reduces their medium to long range coverages to zones and man, and this is where we're missing the boat.

Although the D may seem to be conceding the medium/long pass to defend our rushes, they can bring pressure to varying degrees and also confuse our young QB with rotations. This can screw up a vet's timing on those routes, let alone JP's. He's either not recognising things quick enough to deliver the ball, or he's wound so tight into 'manage' mode that he doesn't trust himself to make te throw. Either way, he's not comfortable enough yet to take advantage of that scheme.

If we can get him more looks from the opponents half of the field, I think he may see less of option A, and more of option B because the D cannot concede those rushing yards in their own end. Surrendering FGs is not considered a win in the field position battle. No, from there they'll take their chances with rattling the kid into misses and mistakes.

So it's my thinking that the more chances we give him to succeed in these situations, the sooner he'll develope. Then we'll have a productive O and begin hitting on all cylinders.

I respect your opinions AKC, but I can't agree with all of them. 

465998[/snapback]

Nor would I ask you to. One of the great things that attracts fans of the strategy side of football to this board is the ability to explore our opinions and then come back to discuss whether these have played out on the field during the game. As with a handful of other posters, I appreciate your consideration of your own opinions and your willingness to turn it into cohesive text and discussion.

As far as QB, I believe he has an utter lack of confidence in his time and that leaves him absolutelu out of control. He's like a kid with hyperactive ADD and he is of little use, but at the same time he has to get it out of his system. Typically an OC will give him easy sideline outs ot let him gain some rythym and confidence. We have one of the best WRs in the league to throw these to in Moulds, it might be the strength of Moulds game at this point in time. But the desire to go downfield seems to obsess the coaching strategy each week.

I'd like to see them give the kid a little confidence by using the field along the sidelines, which also loosens up the running game. Evans will still draw consume 2 up top while Eric keeps the O moving. Forget downfield for one freaking quarter and let us get s good start, maybe even a good balanced start considering the opponent. And with a little confidence in his line we could have the kind of caretaker Sunday we were expecting coming into 05 from the QB position.

Guest BackInDaDay
Nor would I ask you to. One of the great things that attracts fans of the strategy side of football to this board is the ability to explore our opinions and then come back to discuss whether these have played out on the field during the game. As with a handful of other posters, I appreciate your consideration of your own opinions and your willingness to turn it into cohesive text and discussion.

466020[/snapback]

Well said.

As I've posted elsewhere on this great board, I think the obvious way to defend us is from the outside in. We have good, to very good skills at Wide-out, and a RB that can do alot of damage coming around the end. (This is source of another discussion - why we went after 'maulers' at the OG spots when some light-footed guys could help lead Willis to the CBs. :D )

These are the greatest threats we have. Take them away and defensively you can manage our 'managed' offense.

I'd love to talk to Coach Wyche about JP's thought process, or see game film and draw my own conclusions, but who the hell am I?

JP's pre-snap reads, and his attempts to execute the play that the read dictates, are in an un-coordianted state. I don't think we're helping him by giving our opponents options in how to defend us. Field position, down, distance, and risk/reward are the ingredients of sound defensive decision making. When any or all of these favor the D, our O is in big trouble. Unfortunately, at this point, our D and STs have to do more than their fair share to put the opponent in places they're more conservative in defending. I'm hoping that a more vanilla flavored defense would be easier for the kid to digest. :D

I'd like to see them give the kid a little confidence by using the field along the sidelines

The danger here though, unless thrown really well and timely, these are the same patterns that are easy for the defense to step in front of, especially playing tight.