Oooooooops.

My anectode about FEMA's bureaucracy: A few weeks ago I applied for an in-house (Orlando) IT job there - spent all day filling out application paperwork, fingerprints, FBI background investigation - THEN was told there were no IT jobs in-house, but that I would definitely be called the next day about a field position. Two days later I called to find out the status of my app, and was told I'd be called later that day. Didn't happen. The heck with it, I continued my search elsewhere.

A couple days later the recruiters that provided that particular lead called to congratulate me on my new job - FEMA reported to them they had hired me. I told the recruiters FEMA had not, and asked if they could find out what the story was. Thirty minutes later I received a call from FEMA:

FEMA: May I speak to <my name>?

Me: Speaking; what can I do for you?

FEMA: I'm <name> from FEMA. I'm calling to see if you are working for FEMA at this time?

Me: (stunned) You're calling from FEMA, to ask me if I work for FEMA?

FEMA: Yes. (rather quickly annoyed here) Are you currently working for FEMA?

Me: No, I (explained I applied, but was told I would be called back about a field position).

FEMA: (interrupting) So you never took the oath?

Me: No.

FEMA: Okay - <CLICK>

Me: (WTF?)

A few weeks ago I would have gladly taken any IT job; I'm currently very glad it wasn't this one.

My anectode about FEMA's bureaucracy: A few weeks ago I applied for an in-house (Orlando) IT job there - spent all day filling out application paperwork, fingerprints, FBI background investigation - THEN was told there were no IT jobs in-house, but that I would definitely be called the next day about a field position. Two days later I called to find out the status of my app, and was told I'd be called later that day. Didn't happen. The heck with it, I continued my search elsewhere.

A couple days later the recruiters that provided that particular lead called to congratulate me on my new job - FEMA reported to them they had hired me. I told the recruiters FEMA had not, and asked if they could find out what the story was. Thirty minutes later I received a call from FEMA:

FEMA: May I speak to <my name>?

Me: Speaking; what can I do for you?

FEMA: I'm <name> from FEMA. I'm calling to see if you are working for FEMA at this time?

Me: (stunned) You're calling from FEMA, to ask me if I work for FEMA?

FEMA: Yes. (rather quickly annoyed here) Are you currently working for FEMA?

Me: No, I (explained I applied, but was told I would be called back about a field position).

Me: No.

FEMA: Okay - <CLICK>

Me: (WTF?)

A few weeks ago I would have gladly taken any IT job; I'm currently very glad it wasn't this one.

464547[/snapback]

Damn. :)

I think I'd call <names> Boss and find out whats up. You should be able to get some kind of explanation, regardless if you want the job or not. IMO...

The oath??? :)

You have to take an oath to work for the government? An oath to do what? Waste money?

p.s. Obviously this is Bush's fault. He doesn't even know what is happening with the IT hiring at FEMA.

The oath???  :)

You have to take an oath to work for the government?  An oath to do what?  Waste money?

p.s.  Obviously this is Bush's fault.  He doesn't even know what is happening with the IT hiring at FEMA.

465424[/snapback]

Yes, for federal government jobs. Standard loyalty oath. Support and defend the constitution; affirm you do not belong to a organization that advocates the overthrow of the US government, etc.