Saw A History of Violence yesterday

Wacka

Went to this movie last night. You can yell the basic plot from the commercial. Ed Harris is a good bad guy, but the movie just sort of ends. You don't find really find out why Ed Harris was looking for him. The violence is gory and more realistic than in most movies. The final shooting scenes got laughs, which I don't think they were supposed to due to the bad acting of William Hurt. The female lead (his wife) had one frontal nudity shot, and a few sex scenes, but really no nudity during those.

Went to this movie last night. You can yell the basic plot from the commercial. Ed Harris is a good bad guy, but the movie just sort of ends.  You don't find really find out why Ed Harris was looking for him. The violence is gory and more realistic than in most movies. The final shooting scenes got laughs, which I don't think they were supposed to due to the bad acting of William Hurt.  The female lead (his wife) had one frontal nudity shot,  and a few sex scenes, but really no nudity during those.

463932[/snapback]

Perhaps warning before giving spoilers??

No spoilers here. But a word of warning.

If you go to this film expecting a rush of violence and action you'll be disappointed.

This movie was a superb, in my view, effort to combine film noir with arthouse cinema. The overall effect is a bizarre spectacle of modern america with a very heavy 1950s tinge to the shot composition, colours, set, wardrobe and pretty much everything else. The violence it portrays is sudden, gratuitous and graphic, but over very quickly and conducted (as I suppose is part of the fils moral - if it has one) in a very unglamorous, understated way.

The overall effect of the film is one that keeps you guessing, keeps you feeling tense and leaves you to conclude what you will.

It's not for everyone. Most people in the packed cinema I visited left with cries of derision - but what are you going to expect from an audience in Streatham Odeon?? I feel they may have preferred something a little more mainstream in approach.

I'd give it a B. Go watch it, but be prepared for something a little alternative.

I rarely see movies without good special effects/visuals in the theatre anymore, so this definitely sounds like a rental. Does sound interesting, although there's something about Viggo that just screams "Dipschit" to me.

The story must be pretty good if there are very few boobie scenes. Usually the more boobies are shown on the screen the more apt the story is to suck out loud. But hey, at least you get to see boobies.

What was sickening was the previews. There is a movie coming out where two guys are fishing buddies and it has them in gay scenes. The preview had them kissing and hugging.

Lots of "Ugh.... and Bleahs in the audience. Looks like a one week run. Audience will be gays and PW guys dragged by their girlfriends.

What was sickening was the previews. There is a movie coming out where two guys are fishing buddies and it has them in gay scenes. The preview had them kissing and hugging.

Lots of "Ugh.... and Bleahs in the audience. Looks like a one week run. Audience will be gays and PW guys dragged by their girlfriends.

Difinitely saw a preview for that when I saw Flightplan the other day (save your $ btw). My girlfriend and I gave each other the "wtf?" look. I think your right on with your probable audience for when that movie "comes out". I certainly won't be watching any gay cowboys prance around. That is unless by some miracle we play Drew & co. in the Super Bowl...

Went to this movie last night. You can yell the basic plot from the commercial. Ed Harris is a good bad guy, but the movie just sort of ends.  You don't find really find out why Ed Harris was looking for him. The violence is gory and more realistic than in most movies. The final shooting scenes got laughs, which I don't think they were supposed to due to the bad acting of William Hurt.  The female lead (his wife) had one frontal nudity shot,  and a few sex scenes, but really no nudity during those.

463932[/snapback]

Any fights in the theater? The parking lot?

463932[/snapback]

I go into every David Cronenberg film thinking this is going to be great from all I've read and then leave it thinking this was terrible. Scanners, Naked Lunch, Crash, etc., and I'm sure it will be the same this time. I'm really thinking it will be good. :) The one I REALLY want to see he is making now, called "London Fields" which is an awesome Martin Amis novel.

I go into every David Cronenberg film thinking this is going to be great from all I've read and then leave it thinking this was terrible. Scanners, Naked Lunch, Crash, etc., and I'm sure it will be the same this time. I'm really thinking it will be good. :) The one I  REALLY want to see he is making now, called "London Fields" which is an awesome Martin Amis novel.

464605[/snapback]

I've been reenacting a scene from Scanners in my living room every Sunday afternoon, if anyone is a fan of the movie.

• 3 weeks later...
No spoilers here. But a word of warning.

If you go to this film expecting a rush of violence and action you'll be disappointed.

This movie was a superb, in my view, effort to combine film noir with arthouse cinema. The overall effect is a bizarre spectacle of modern america with a very heavy 1950s tinge to the shot composition, colours, set, wardrobe and pretty much everything else. The violence it portrays is sudden, gratuitous and graphic, but over very quickly and conducted (as I suppose is part of the fils moral - if it has one) in a very unglamorous, understated way.

The overall effect of the film is one that keeps you guessing, keeps you feeling tense and leaves you to conclude what you will.

It's not for everyone. Most people in the packed cinema I visited left with cries of derision - but what are you going to expect from an audience in Streatham Odeon?? I feel they may have preferred something a little more mainstream in approach.

I'd give it a B. Go watch it, but be prepared for something a little alternative.

464221[/snapback]

I just had a free afternoon and went to see this flick. I left feeling pretty good about the movie and still chuckling from Hurt's "how could you f** that up??". I'd give it a B.

You don't find really find out why Ed Harris was looking for him.

463932[/snapback]

they were playing cards, something went wrong and Viggo decided to go apestevestojan on him and gouge his eye out with barbed wire

then he ran off to the desert, hid there for 3 years and emerged as tom stall