Okay, geniuses...

Imaging that Ben Rothlisberger was the Bills starting quarterback in the four games we just played. In his first games as a pro. With our line, with our coaches, with our calls, with our injuries, with our defense. Would he be playing great, like he did last year, leading his team to four victories? Would he be average but way better than Losman because he's such a greater talent and probably have us 3-1? Would he be just as far in over his head that JP is because he doesn't have nearly the escapability as JP and would be getting crushed because he has zero time? What?

Imaging that Ben Rothlisberger was the Bills starting quarterback in the four games we just played. In his first games as a pro. With our line, with our coaches, with our calls, with our injuries, with our defense. Would he be playing great, like he did last year, leading his team to four victories? Would he be average but way better than Losman because he's such a greater talent and probably have us 3-1? Would he be just as far in over his head that JP is because he doesn't have nearly the escapability as JP and would be getting crushed because he has zero time? What?

463674[/snapback]

he'd be taller. hasn't this always been a buffalo measure for quarterback proficiency?

JP is not nearly the problem. Big Ben would struggle just as bad, and he did not play that great last year (check his stats). He managed games and did not lose them. He had an o-line that gave him the time he needed to succeed and the coaches called the right plays. If JP played with Pitt last year I bet you would have seen a totally different QB than you are seeing right now. JP is just one in a laundry list of problems we have here.

JP is not nearly the problem.  Big Ben would struggle just as bad, and he did not play that great last year (check his stats).  He managed games and did not lose them.  He had an o-line that gave him the time he needed to succeed and the coaches called the right plays.  If JP played with Pitt last year I bet you would have seen a totally different QB than you are seeing right now.  JP is just one in a laundry list of problems we have here.

463693[/snapback]

Yea, but big Ben would in fact be taller.

He would be just as bad if not worse because you are only as good as your line is. Look at Drew this year with Dallas, even though I can't stand him, he's doing very well. Because his line allows him to hold on to the ball forever and make his throws. At least JP can run pretty well.

463674[/snapback]

I don't know, but your point is well taken. Big Ben succeeded because of the talent around him, and that fact seemed to elude a lot of people in Buffalo. I wish I had nickel for every starry eyed optimist who said "why can't JP take us to the playoffs, look what Rothlesberger did last year", and totally missed the point that the Bills don't have nearly as much talent as the Steelers, especially on the OL and DL...where games are won and lost.

I'm a huge JP support and I say give him time.

But god, this really is bringing back memories of RJ. Didn't we say the same thing about RJ time and time again. I know it's different, but the same.

463713[/snapback]

One difference is that Darren Howard's blindside on JP yesterday would have been a career ender for the tin man.....