Silver Lining

plenzmd1

Okay, heres my take from the Norman Vincent Peale school of thought.

The AFC East is second to the NFC North in terms of winnability. Miami sits atop the division right now and we get them next week in our house. We win that game and the Pats lose to the Falcons(in Atlanta), and lo and behold we are only 1/2 game outa first place. And lets not forget all of our losses have been to NFC teams, and Miami has lost to the Jets, so we are in good position there as far as conferance records.

Now, I must admit I am going to the game this week and looking for reasons why it is a HUGE game for us, so I can convince myself of practically anything this week.

Okay, heres my take from the Norman Vincent Peale school of thought.

The AFC East is second to the NFC North in terms of winnability. Miami sits atop the division right now and we get them next week in our house. We win that game and the Pats lose to the Falcons(in Atlanta), and lo and behold we are only 1/2 game outa first place. And lets not forget all of our losses have been to NFC teams, and Miami has lost to the Jets, so we are in good position there as far as conferance records.

Now, I must admit I am going to the game this week and looking for reasons why it is a HUGE game for us, so I can convince myself of practically anything this week.

462748[/snapback]

LOL, I hear ya. I tried that angle too, but I am so pissed off that I went out and bought the Thurman Thomas replithenic, and plan to just relive the glory days when #34 joins the wall on Sunday.

Well, I guess if you want to look at the bright side, you can look no further than last year at this time. Offensively, we had scored fewer points in our first 4 games than we have this year (44 vs. 48). Our only points in the opener last year came on drives of 18 (TD) and -4 (FG) yards. After four games last year many were counting the season as toast and were counting the days until Losman could come in and get some starts under his belt, because our starting QB looked completely lost.

Defensively, the "robust/killer" defense from last year (that was keeping us in the games despite the loser offense) allowed only 3 fewer points than our "sieve" of a defense this year (that is allowing teams to score at will, giving our offense no chance to stay in it), though last year's team did provide the turnovers that gave us all our points in the above-mentioned opener against Jax..

Special teams were better last year, as we had already scored a special teams TD by this time. Of course we came 4 yards shy of that this weekend...

Overall, we have one less loss than we did last year at this time, and when we stared down at the "playoff chances" at the end of the year last year (and yes we did, even starting as putrid as we had) the four opening losses within the conference (2 in the division) were killer. This year we are 0-3 against the NFC, which wouldn't count in the long run. Last year we picked up victories against the "weakest division in the NFL" with the NFC teams. This year the NFC division we faced looks like the toughest (did you see Atlanta lay nearly 300 yards rushing (and Vick-less for 3 quarters) against our former DC and former Bills defensive stars?) Based on how things are looking so far, we could actually be in the softest division in the AFC.

When did we turn it around last year? Our 5th game, at home, vs. the Dolphins...We still didn't score much on offense, but we cranked out a victory...

When did we turn it around last year?  Our 5th game, at home, vs. the Dolphins...

462815[/snapback]

And this year we get the Jests after playing the Dolphins, whereas last year we had to contend with New England coming in.

No reason why we can't be 3-3 after six games with a 2-0 division record.

Also no reason, given the way we played yesterday, why we can't be 1-5.

Well, I guess if you want to look at the bright side, you can look no further than last year at this time.  Offensively, we had scored fewer points in our first 4 games than we have this year (44 vs. 48).  Our only points in the opener last year came on drives of 18 (TD) and -4 (FG) yards.  After four games last year many were counting the season as toast and were counting the days until Losman could come in and get some starts under his belt, because our starting QB looked completely lost.

Defensively, the "robust/killer" defense from last year (that was keeping us in the games despite the loser offense) allowed only 3 fewer points than our "sieve" of a defense this year (that is allowing teams to score at will, giving our offense no chance to stay in it), though last year's team did provide the turnovers that gave us all our points in the above-mentioned opener against Jax.. 

Special teams were better last year, as we had already scored a special teams TD by this time.  Of course we came 4 yards shy of that this weekend...

Overall, we have one less loss than we did last year at this time, and when we stared down at the "playoff chances" at the end of the year last year (and yes we did, even starting as putrid as we had)  the four opening losses within the conference (2 in the division) were killer.  This year we are 0-3 against the NFC, which wouldn't count in the long run.  Last year we picked up victories against the "weakest division in the NFL" with the NFC teams.  This year the NFC division we faced looks like the toughest (did you see Atlanta lay nearly 300 yards rushing (and Vick-less for 3 quarters) against our former DC and former Bills defensive stars?)  Based  on how things are looking so far, we could actually be in the softest division in the AFC.

When did we turn it around last year?  Our 5th game, at home, vs. the Dolphins...We still didn't score much on offense, but we cranked out a victory...

462815[/snapback]

You could also say this. We have pretty much sucked under Tom Donahoe. And the one year we had a winning record (last year) the offense and DEFENSE both padded their stats against a GOD AWFUL (beneficial to the Bills) schedule last year.

While I agree, if we play perfect, we can beat the Phins and Jets....there will be no turnaround this year. It's not nearly as easy a schedule, which was the primary reason for last years turnaround.

I love your show of optimism, but let me also remind you that everyone was pretty much counting the Saints game as a win too.

So.... Miami rolls into Buffalo, in a game where I honestly wouldn't put any money on either team, it's pretty much a pick em. No line yet, but I wouldnt be shocked if there's no line at all.

But the Jets are a beast of a different matter. Wow, I wish that fins had played them when they were down like this. Enjoy that game, becasue you should get a W out of that one, regardless if the QB is Bollinger, Testeverde, or Section 4 Aisle 8 Seat 15.

I love your show of optimism, but let me also remind you that everyone was pretty much counting the Saints game as a win too.

So.... Miami rolls into Buffalo, in a game where I honestly wouldn't put any money on either team, it's pretty much a pick em. No line yet, but I wouldnt be shocked if there's no line at all.

But the Jets are a beast of a different matter. Wow, I wish that fins had played them when they were down like this. Enjoy that game, becasue you should get a W out of that one, regardless if the QB is Bollinger, Testeverde, or Section 4 Aisle 8 Seat 15.

462853[/snapback]

Oh, I think without a doubt Miami comes in as the favorite. I have not seen to much of the Miami games, but sure seems to me like they have taken on the personality of their coach.

Cheeseburgers at home this week, thats the ticket

It might not be as bad as everybody makes it out to be. The past 3 weeks the Bills have been in every single game despite playing horribly on both O and D. Just a little improvement with either/both will put them in a position to win games. Granted, I have no faith that we'll see any improvement but it wouldn't take much to get this team on the winning track.

It might not be as bad as everybody makes it out to be.  The past 3 weeks the Bills have been in every single despite playing horribly on both O and D.  Just a little improvement with either/both will put them in a position to win games.  Granted, I have no faith that we'll see any improvement but it wouldn't take much to get this team on the winning track.

462897[/snapback]

IMO, that's what makes all the more difficult to swallow. We are horrible, and the games are still winnable. How sickening is that?

IMO, that's what makes all the more difficult to swallow.  We are horrible, and the games are still winnable.  How sickening is that?

462912[/snapback]

I guess it says the league as a whole must suck, or I guess at least the NFC South... :lol:

IMO, that's what makes all the more difficult to swallow.  We are horrible, and the games are still winnable.  How sickening is that?

462912[/snapback]

God, isn't that nuts. I agree, as pathetic as they have been on all sides of the ball, we are still in the games. And maybe, just maybe, Tampa and Atlanta are that good.Plus, I said it last week, NO is not a bad team, just making too many mistakes, so they might roll now too. And to get NO in their first home game put the icing on the cake so to speak.

While every one thought that three game stint agaisn't the NFC South was the easier part of the schedule, maybe, just maybe, the easy part of schedule is coming up with six winnable games agaisn't the weak AFC East teams.

I mean outside of San Diego and Cincinnatti, who looks unbeatable on our schedule right now? Put the blinders on, drink the kool aid, and every game looks winnable to me.11- 5 here we come

OK let me try...........phewww...OK here goes.......breath........Our first loss came against a high flying Tampa team in 100 degree heat, while we wore dark jerseys...OK so far so good.....breath......The second loss came against a team that last year played in the NFC Championship game and some folks have them in the Super Bowl this season........................Phewwwwwwwwwwww....OK keep going.....and Sundays loss came in strange city against a team coming home, albeit, a temporary home, for the first time this season. While our teams dissapointed QB who had been looking forward to playing this game in his old college town had to play in central Texas.

Now that wasn't too bad......And hey we are undefeated in our conference as well as our division.

Yea baby.......here we come Superbowl 40.....errrr.....6 :lol:

OK let me try...........phewww...OK here goes.......breath........Our first loss came against a high flying Tampa team in 100 degree heat, while we wore dark jerseys...OK so far so good.....breath......The second loss came against a team that last year played in the NFC Championship game and some folks have them in the Super Bowl this season........................Phewwwwwwwwwwww....OK keep going.....and Sundays loss came in strange city against a team coming home, albeit, a temporary home, for the first time this season.  While our teams dissapointed QB who had been looking forward to playing this game in his old college town had to play in central Texas.

Now that wasn't too bad......And hey we are undefeated in our conference as well as our division.

Yea baby.......here we come Superbowl 40.....errrr.....6 :lol:

462955[/snapback]

Now your getting it, just delete your last sentence and your officially on the bandwagon :lol::lol::lol: