Bills OL 2006

I say we draft a magic genie. The magic genie will grant all of our wishes and then we can just magically win all of the games instead of having to play them.

Can we save this crap for the offseason.

463022[/snapback]

A good coach will gameplan according to his players abilities and put them in position to make plays and play to their strengths.

462592[/snapback]

I agree with your assessment and like your suggestions, but there's one key problem: who's going to be drafting and signing these OL players next year?! Surely I hope you're not suggesting TD...

Looking at his draft record to date:

2001: JJ, 3rd round

2001: Marques Sullivan, 5th round

2002: MW, 1st round

2002: Mike Pukecillo, 7th round,

2003: Ben Sobieski, 5th round

2004: Dylan McFarland, 7th round

2005: Duke Preston, 4th round

2005: Justin Geisinger, 6th round

8 of his 42 draft picks in 5 years went to the OL. Only 2 of these were Day 1 picks, and only 1 went within the first 2 rounds. Furthermore, no Day 1 pick has been made on the OL for 3 straight years.

Only 3 of TD's OL picks remain on the current roster: 1 underachieving starter (MW) and 2 rookie backups (Preston and Geisinger). McFarland can't put on enough weight to make the roster (he's on our PS), Sobieski has found a permanent niche on our IR team, Pukey plays (poorly) for the Browns, JJ misses games with the 49ers over paper cuts, and Sullivan was promoted to Chief Custodian at your neighborhood Arby's.

This draft record wouldn't be so miserable if TD was some sort of free agent whiz. But he's not. Looking at his free agent pickups currently on the team (and I can't think of any great ones in his first 4 years, though Marcus Price was a good backup):

Trey Teague (2002)

Chris Villarial (2004)

Jasen Esposito (2004) - PS

Lawrence Smith (2004) - IR

Jason Peters (2004)

Bennie Anderson (2005)

Mike Gandy (2005)

Greg Jerman (2005)

Only 1 is a legitimate starter (Villarial, though at least for this year he's overpaid for the production), and only 1 other (Peters) has any real potential to become a consistent NFL starter. The others are either no better than backups in this league (Gandy and Teague) or shouldn't even be in this league in the first place (German and the two Ravens castoffs - Anderson and Lawrence Smith).

Honestly now, can anyone say with a straight face that this OL is improved over the OL that TD inherited 5 offseasons ago? I can't. Fina, Brown, Ostroski, and the likes never looked so good :lol:

But anyway, whoever the GM this offseason may be - TD, Modrak, Lori, Bill from NYC, etc... - my suggestion for a Bills line in 2006 looks something like this:

LT: 1st rounder

LG: Hutchinson

C: 2nd rounder

RG: CV or 3rd rounder if he doesn't step up his play this year

RT: MW or free agent if he doesn't take a pay cut

backups: Gandy, Geisinger, Peters, Preston

I like the potential of Peters and Preston, but I still need to see more from them this year.

I agree with your assessment and like your suggestions, but there's one key problem: who's going to be drafting and signing these OL players next year?! Surely I hope you're not suggesting TD...

8 of his 42 draft picks in 5 years went to the OL. Only 2 of these were Day 1 picks, and only 1 went within the first 2 rounds. Furthermore, no Day 1 pick has been made on the OL for 3 straight years.

Only 3 of TD's OL picks remain on the current roster: 1 underachieving starter (MW) and 2 rookie backups (Preston and Geisinger). McFarland can't put on enough weight to make the roster (he's on our PS), Sobieski has found a permanent niche on our IR team, Pukey plays (poorly) for the Browns, JJ misses games with the 49ers over paper cuts, and Sullivan was promoted to Chief Custodian at your neighborhood Arby's.

This draft record wouldn't be so miserable if TD was some sort of free agent whiz. But he's not. Looking at his free agent pickups currently on the team (and I can't think of any great ones in his first 4 years, though Marcus Price was a good backup):

Trey Teague (2002)

Chris Villarial (2004)

Jason Peters (2004)

Bennie Anderson (2005)

Mike Gandy (2005)

Greg Jerman (2005)

Only 1 is a legitimate starter (Villarial, though at least for this year he's overpaid for the production), and only 1 other (Peters) has any real potential to become a consistent NFL starter. The others are either no better than backups in this league (Gandy and Teague) or shouldn't even be in this league in the first place (German and the two Ravens castoffs - Anderson and Lawrence Smith).

Honestly now, can anyone say with a straight face that this OL is improved over the OL that TD inherited 5 offseasons ago? I can't. Fina, Brown, Ostroski, and the likes never looked so good  :blink:

But anyway, whoever the GM this offseason may be - TD, Modrak, Lori, Bill from NYC, etc... - my suggestion for a Bills line in 2006 looks something like this:

I like the potential of Peters and Preston, but I still need to see more from them this year.

463245[/snapback]

Bravo KH, a simply wonderful post! :)

My point is that if TD wants to build an OL, the time will be right in 06, or so it would seem. It was a brutal mistake to place an excitable, very questionable rookie in there behind this motley crew.

TD needs to be held accountable for this absolute mess.

462592[/snapback]

The way this team is playing...they will be needing lots of Defensive help too

Teague will be a ufa, and will almost certainly be gone imo. Anderson, a HUGE dropoff from Tucker, should probably be cut now (not that I expect this).

As for Mike Williams, he is at the point of his contract where his signing bonus might not be too brutal to absorb. Either way, imo, paying him 9 million dollars in 06 should not be an option.

This guy Jerman is as bad as it gets.

Anything can happen, but it looks like we will be drafting often and early. Next year there are supposed to be as many as 4 LTs that are said to be first round picks.

Steve Hutchinson is said to be a ufa, and he is probably one of the top 5 Guards in the NFL. There will probably be other options as well.

We already have Preston and Geisenger, who might be good football players by next season, who knows.

My point is that if TD wants to build an OL, the time will be right in 06, or so it would seem. It was a brutal mistake to place an excitable, very questionable rookie in there behind this motley crew.

TD needs to be held accountable for this absolute mess.

462592[/snapback]

Bill right, this raps it all up in a nutshell. There nothing really more that needs to be said. Puting a brand new Rookie QB behind an inexpereinced line that is below average is a costly mistake.

Trey Teague (2002)

Chris Villarial (2004)

Jason Peters (2004)

Bennie Anderson (2005)

Mike Gandy (2005)

Greg Jerman (2005)

Honestly now, can anyone say with a straight face that this OL is improved over the OL that TD inherited 5 offseasons ago? I can't. Fina, Brown, Ostroski, and the likes never looked so good  :blink:

463245[/snapback]

Post of the day!