TD is in a box

jahnyc

That was bugging me too, but when you look at the TOP versus scoring, for as long as they have been on the field ( average 31.32) , they haven't given up many points.

The offense needs to control the game, and I don't see that happening.

Why did they abandon the run after the first drive?

462850[/snapback]

TOP is precisely why the opponants don't have many points:they're grinding it out with the run game. Our D is dying the death of a thousand cuts.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While you are right....the offense contributes to their being on the field so long, they also had plenty of chances to get their asses off the field on 3rd downs too.  This happened all through the game, not just the 4th quarter.

See "The Baltimore" plan.

462907[/snapback]

This horrible D has given up 7 , 19 , 24 , 19 points, those should be winning numbers.

The O-Line is the problem.

TOP is precisely why the opponants don't have many points:they're grinding it out with the run game. Our D is dying the death of a thousand cuts.

462909[/snapback]

And when the O has the ball, 3 and out.

They are a whopping 32.1% on third down.

So the 3 and outs in the 2nd and 3rd quarter have nothing to do with the D being worn out by the 4th quarter?

462901[/snapback]

So the D not being able to get off the field on 3rd downs has nothing to do with the D being worn out by the 4th quarter?

It's not a black and white issue. It's a combination of both the O and the D sucking. The entire team in in collapse, to simplify it and blame the O isn't right.

So the D not being able to get off the field on 3rd downs has nothing to do with the D being worn out by the 4th quarter?

It's not a black and white issue.  It's a combination of both the O and the D sucking.  The entire team in in collapse, to simplify it and blame the O isn't right.

462917[/snapback]

That sir, was a very accurate post.

Is it the talent or the coaching (or both)?  TD had a second chance to get his guy.  This time it was MM, and I have doubts about his abilities.  ... too many penalties. 

462465[/snapback]

MM is not the one to blame on the penalties.

On Sunday there were penalties by Fletcher and Clements that helps to extend drives. These guys are vets that know what penalties are and know better.

This horrible D has given up 7 , 19 , 24 , 19 points, those should be winning numbers.

462914[/snapback]

The D has given up 95, 191, 236, 167 yards rushing this year. When you let team's grind it out on you like that they control the clock and end up winning low scoring games (kinda like what we're SUPPOSED to be doing). The low scores speak to what teams are trying to do against us not that our D is preventing them from putting up big points. Why throw the ball (which is what you do to put up big points) when you can run all over this D? Even when our D was stopping the run NO kept stuffing it in there, controling the clock and getting first downs. That's why you're seeing low scores.

It's not a black and white issue.  It's a combination of both the O and the D sucking.  The entire team in in collapse, to simplify it and blame the O isn't right.

462917[/snapback]

What I'm trying to say is the D does not suck, they are the victim of the O;s failure.

Just like last year when this team was 0-4, everyone said the D was not that good, when the O started producing the D was a lot better.

Bottom line is scoring and this D holds teams to under 20 points weak after weak, but the O can't score more.

462909[/snapback]

Mainly by their own doing.

How many 3rd and 7+ situations did they allow the Saints to convert yesterday?

They'd be a hell of a lot more rested if they could actually stuff a drive before it starts.

The D has given up 95, 191, 236, 167 yards rushing this year.  When you let team's grind it out on you like that they control the clock and end up winning low scoring games (kinda like what we're SUPPOSED to be doing).  The low scores speak to what teams are trying to do against us not that our D is preventing them from putting up big points.  Why throw the ball (which is what you do to put up big points) when you can run all over this D?  Even when our D was stopping the run NO kept stuffing it in there, controling the clock and getting first downs.  That's why you're seeing low scores.

462940[/snapback]

Because they know the Bills can't score.

Get the lead and see if that works.

How about their innate ability to stop teams on 3rd and long?

:lol:

462621[/snapback]

You've nailed the biggest reason for the 1-3 record, IMO, coupled with the lack of takeaways. The D can't get off the field, and it's killing them.

Teams have figured out the Bills blitzing schemes, apparently, and they're not getting enough pressure from the DEs (to be fair, this may be by design the last two weeks - to contain a running QB rather than doing a hard rush from the outside).

Sigh....

Mainly by their own doing.

How many 3rd and 7+ situations did they allow the Saints to convert yesterday?

They'd be a hell of a lot more rested if they could actually stuff a drive before it starts.

462945[/snapback]

I agree. Our D has been exposed. It's now up to Gray to make some adjustments or be ready for a pink slip at the end of the season.

You've nailed the biggest reason for the 1-3 record, IMO, coupled with the lack of takeaways.  The D can't get off the field, and it's killing them.

Teams have figured out the Bills blitzing schemes, apparently, and they're not getting enough pressure from the DEs (to be fair, this may be by design the last two weeks - to contain a running QB rather than doing a hard rush from the outside).

Sigh....

462947[/snapback]

I've said it before and I'll say it again....

OVER-RATED.

Because they know the Bills can't score.

Get the lead and see if they works.

462946[/snapback]

True, the Bills O can't score. However, if the Bills D actually stopped teams on 3rd downs it would give the O more opportunities to score while, at the same time, letting the D rest. The two things go hand and hand. Obviously the O can help the D out, but this D could be helping this O out a lot more too (turnovers anyone?) I wonder what the average team score is when they produce zero turnovers? My guess is that it isn't high.

462914[/snapback]

I could agree with you to a point. Again, this team is supposedly built around this great defense. This is TD's plan. This great defense continually lets this team down when it has a chance to bury good teams.

Houston sucks. Tampa Bay is the worst offensive 4-0 team maybe in the history of football. Atlanta manhandled our run defense. And the Saints torched them on almost every important 3rd down.

And the reason alot of our scores are lower, is because both the Bills and their opponents are running the ball so much, the clock is always running.

The D has given up 95, 191, 236, 167 yards rushing this year.  When you let team's grind it out on you like that they control the clock and end up winning low scoring games (kinda like what we're SUPPOSED to be doing).  The low scores speak to what teams are trying to do against us not that our D is preventing them from putting up big points.  Why throw the ball (which is what you do to put up big points) when you can run all over this D?  Even when our D was stopping the run NO kept stuffing it in there, controling the clock and getting first downs.  That's why you're seeing low scores.

462940[/snapback]

70 of those 167 this weekend came on the final NO drive, after MM conceded the game by punting. Otherwise the run D was allowing under 3 ypc.

What I'm trying to say is the D does not suck, they are the victim of the O;s failure.

Just like last year when this team was 0-4, everyone said the D was not that good, when the O started producing the D was a lot better.

Bottom line is scoring and this D holds teams to under 20 points weak after weak, but the O can't score more.

462944[/snapback]

I hate this. I really do. THE DEFENSE GOT GOOD LAST YEAR WHEN THEY RAN UP THEIR STATS AGAINST THE CRAP 2ND HALF SCHEDULE WE PLAYED LAST YEAR.

I don't get how that isn't easy to see. They choked with the lead vs. Jax. The choked with the late lead vs. the Jets. They were torched twice by NE. The also got their asses handed to them by Pittsburgh's backups.

Gimmie a break. Our defense, which this team is supposedly built around, continually comes up short. Continually. But hey, have no fear, they ran the 9'ers, Browns, Cardinals, Cincinnati's and Miami's into the ground last year. And most of those teams, were lead by even their backup QB's. Newsflash, so did every other defense that played those teams.

How did they do against the best? They were either awful or had a very good game until it was up to them to win it for us. Almost always they fail. It's sickening. So, judging by all of that, and throwing out the puke we played last year, why is this a surprise. I was actually praying someone would hire Gray last year. Praying.

Schedule, schedule, schedule.

I could agree with you to a point.  Again, this team is supposedly built around this great defense.  This is TD's plan.  This great defense continually lets this team down when it has a chance to bury good teams.

Houston sucks.  Tampa Bay is the worst offensive 4-0 team maybe in the history of football.  Atlanta manhandled our run defense.  And the Saints torched them on almost every important 3rd down.

And the reason alot of our scores are lower, is because both the Bills and their opponents are running the ball so much, the clock is always running.

463088[/snapback]

It is also built to be a "smashmouth" running team with a weak offensive line. This too is TD's plan. :lol:

It is also built to be a "smashmouth" running team with a weak offensive line. This too is TD's plan.  :lol:

463103[/snapback]

Exactly right. That's why I'm done with TD. Seriously, I tried. I really did. I just can't anymore. I have no faith in him. I have zero faith that our offense will ever score points more than once a game. I also have always thought our defense, while solid, is wayyyyyyyyyyy over-rated.

And I'm not even saying that I didn't like or support all of his moves he has made. But this is sickening. It's painful to watch our team play.

Ugh. This team has no identity. Even right down to the ghetto uniforms we now play in. Oh, TD did that one too. Decided he'd ride in give us some new god awful uniforms made of non-Bills colors.

Gimme a new regime, go back to the old uni's.....1990 style or throwbacks, and let's get a new vision and outlook on this roster.

Yesterday was my breaking point.

God, I'm so done with T-fuggin-D.