Lake George Disaster

KD in CA

What a horrible story.  But how does a 40 foot boat capsize that easily?  I mean, there aren't ocean liners cruising Lake George.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9569812/

462211[/snapback]

It happens. Top-heavy, weight off-balance, catches a wave wrong...the boat goes over. There's not even remotely enough information to tell what happened in this case...but it does happen.

Im 15 minutes from Lake George. I hear they didnt have enough life vests for all the old folks either.

462226[/snapback]

But THAT is criminal. Literally, I think...aren't boats like that required to have life vests/PFDs for all passengers?

It happens.  Top-heavy, weight off-balance, catches a wave wrong...the boat goes over.  There's not even remotely enough information to tell what happened in this case...but it does happen.

But THAT is criminal.  Literally, I think...aren't boats like that required to have life vests/PFDs for all passengers?

462261[/snapback]

It all depends on the size of the vessel. You would think they'd (Life Vests) be required for all passengers but thats not the way the laws are. How many vests are set by the size of the vessel.

It happens.  Top-heavy, weight off-balance, catches a wave wrong...the boat goes over.  There's not even remotely enough information to tell what happened in this case...but it does happen.

But THAT is criminal.  Literally, I think...aren't boats like that required to have life vests/PFDs for all passengers?

462261[/snapback]

Remember the one we were on? The vests were stowed behind the seats. I can't see a bunch of old people pulling the seatbacks down and grabbing a vest in an upside down boat. Even if they did, glass enclosed means not too many ways out.