Mularkey Hates The Run, Lives For Gadget Plays

Mark VI

According to just the numbers, JP/Holcombe threw 21 balls while Willis/Shaud had 18 carries.

I don't think 18:21 is unreasonable balance for a game in which you were playing from behind for nearly the last 3qrtrs.

Cya

In " Ask The Coach " this week, the question is obvious.

" Coach, why do you abhor the run ?  "

461514[/snapback]

Oh the answer to that is easy.

Clements..."well we stopped trying to run even though Willis was doing a pretty good job early in the game because of the little faith we have in our offensive line. We didn't want to risk an injury to McGahee and put it on Losman's shoulders to run for his life; but gee wiz NO's defensive players are just so fast!!!! We talked about trying something different, but as I stand here I can honestly tell all of you that we just couldn't think. You know the deer in the headlights thing...sort of".

According to just the numbers, JP/Holcombe threw 21 balls while Willis/Shaud had 18 carries.

I don't think 18:21 is unreasonable balance for a game in which you were playing from behind for nearly the last 3qrtrs.

Cya

461682[/snapback]

Buffalo Bills at 14:53 1st Quarter

1-10-BUF25 (14:53) W.McGahee up the middle to 50 for 25 yards (M.McKenzie).

1-10-50 (14:08) W.McGahee left end to BUF 45 for -5 yards (C.Bockwoldt).

2-15-BUF45 (13:22) (Shotgun) J.Losman left end to NO 46 for 9 yards (J.Craft).

3-6-NO46 (12:34) (Shotgun) J.Losman up the middle ran ob at NO 32 for 14 yards (J.Bullocks).

1-10-NO32 (12:05) W.McGahee up the middle to NO 30 for 2 yards (B.Young).

2-8-NO30 (11:24) J.Losman pass to L.Evans to NO 15 for 15 yards (M.McKenzie, J.Bullocks). (9 yards after catch.)

1-10-NO15 (10:46) W.McGahee right tackle to NO 14 for 1 yard (D.Smith).

2-9-NO14 (10:03) J.Losman pass incomplete to D.Shelton. (BUF #71 Peters reported as an eligible receiver.)

3-9-NO14 (9:59) (Shotgun) J.Losman pass to L.Evans to NO 2 for 12 yards (F.Thomas; C.Watson). (1 yard after catch.)

PENALTY on NO-W.Smith, Roughing the Passer, 1 yard, enforced at NO 2.

1-1-NO1 (9:43) W.McGahee left guard for 1 yard, TOUCHDOWN.

R.Lindell extra point is GOOD, Center-M.Schneck, Holder-B.Moorman.

BUF 7 NO 0, Plays: 10 Yards: 75 Possession: 5:20.

Buffalo Bills at 08:00

1-10-BUF8 (8:00) J.Losman pass incomplete to D.Shelton (C.Grant).

2-10-BUF8 (7:54) W.McGahee left guard to BUF 10 for 2 yards (C.Grant).

3-8-BUF10 (7:06) (Shotgun)

PENALTY on BUF-J.Losman, Delay of Game, 5 yards, enforced at BUF 10 - No Play.

3-13-BUF5 (6:45) (Shotgun) J.Losman pass incomplete to J.Smith (J.Bullocks).

4-13-BUF5 (6:40) B.Moorman punts 56 yards to NO 39, Center-M.Schneck. D.Stallworth to BUF 50 for 11 yards (S.Aiken).

Buffalo Bills at 04:15

1-10-BUF11 (4:15) W.McGahee right tackle to BUF 14 for 3 yards (W.Smith, C.Watson).

2-7-BUF14 (3:31) J.Losman sacked at BUF 4 for -10 yards (D.Howard).

3-17-BUF4 (2:56) (Shotgun) S.Williams up the middle to BUF 11 for 7 yards (T.Bryant).

4-10-BUF11 (2:20) B.Moorman punts 51 yards to NO 38, Center-M.Schneck. D.Stallworth to NO 39 for 1 yard (J.Greer).

2nd Quarter

Buffalo Bills at 08:58

1-10-BUF18 (8:58) J.Losman pass intended for E.Moulds INTERCEPTED by J.Craft at NO 38. J.Craft to BUF 23 for 39 yards (L.Evans).

Buffalo Bills at 05:29

1-10-BUF30 (5:29) J.Losman pass incomplete to W.McGahee.

2-10-BUF30 (5:24) PENALTY on BUF-B.Anderson, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at BUF 30 - No Play.

2-15-BUF25 (5:24) J.Losman up the middle to BUF 33 for 8 yards (M.McKenzie).

3-7-BUF33 (4:42) (Shotgun) J.Losman pass incomplete to L.Evans.

PENALTY on NO-M.McKenzie, Illegal Contact, 5 yards, enforced at BUF 33 - No Play.

1-10-BUF38 (4:36) J.Losman pass to W.McGahee to BUF 36 for -2 yards (S.Hodge). (2 yards after catch.)

PENALTY on BUF-B.Anderson, Offensive Holding, 12 yards, enforced at BUF 38 - No Play.

1-22-BUF26 (4:08) (Shotgun) J.Losman pass to E.Moulds to BUF 29 for 3 yards (M.McKenzie). (No yards after catch.)

2-19-BUF29 (3:19) (Shotgun) J.Losman pass to E.Moulds to BUF 40 for 11 yards (M.McKenzie). (No yards after catch.)

3-8-BUF40 (2:38) (Shotgun) J.Losman pass to J.Smith to NO 41 for 19 yards (C.Watson). (3 yards after catch.)

1-10-NO41 (2:07) J.Losman pass incomplete to R.Neufeld (D.Smith).

2-10-NO41 (2:04) (Shotgun) S.Williams up the middle to NO 29 for 12 yards (D.Smith, J.Bullocks).

1-10-NO29 (1:58) W.McGahee right tackle to NO 28 for 1 yard (C.Grant).

2-9-NO28 (1:45) (Shotgun) J.Losman pass incomplete to E.Moulds.

3-9-NO28 (1:42) (Shotgun) J.Losman pass to S.Williams to NO 27 for 1 yard (F.Thomas). (No yards after catch.)

4-8-NO27 (1:27) R.Lindell 45 yard field goal is No Good, Wide Right, Center-M.Schneck, Holder-B.Moorman.

New Orleans Saints at 01:23

3rd Quarter

Buffalo Bills at 07:57

1-10-BUF23 (7:57) W.McGahee left guard to BUF 37 for 14 yards (J.Bullocks). (Ball spot changes from last play due to change of possession.)

1-10-BUF37 (7:20) J.Losman sacked at BUF 28 for -9 yards (D.Howard). FUMBLES (D.Howard), and recovers at BUF 28. J.Losman to BUF 28 for no gain (W.Whitehead).

2-19-BUF28 (6:39) (Shotgun) J.Losman left guard to BUF 35 for 7 yards (F.Thomas).

3-12-BUF35 (5:53) (Shotgun) J.Losman sacked at BUF 24 for -11 yards (W.Smith).

4-23-BUF24 (5:29) B.Moorman punts 43 yards to NO 33, Center-M.Schneck. A.Hakim to NO 41 for 8 yards (G.Wilson).

So I see Willis running well early. Then a couple 3,4 yard carries on 1st down. A 14 yarder on 1st down in the 3rd quarter.

Show me where else you see a balanced running attack ?

Buffalo Bills at 14:53  1st Quarter

[snip]

So I see Willis running well early. Then a couple 3,4 yard carries on 1st down. A 14 yarder on 1st down in the 3rd quarter.

Show me where else you see a balanced running attack ?

461784[/snapback]

And this is exactly where you get the pattented "execution" answer. I bet when you read the headlines tomorrow, some idiot will say that Deuce ran all over the Bills, when it's not true. Difference is that NO converted critical 3rd downs and didn't make critical mistakes to keep the lead early on.

Bills shot themselves in the foot, that largely took them out of a game plan where they could give it to Willis 2/3 of the time.

The play mix should be a 50/50 balance early on to keep the D honest. Bills got some success moving the ball when Losman had a good opening drive. Once he settled into his uncomfort zone, Saints brought the safeties up.

I also see a drive in which Willis contributed a grand total of -1 yard yet Losman still managed to overcome multiple Bennie Anderson penalties to put together a 14play drive.

I didn't see the game so have no feel for what happened or how the Saints were defending us. I just thought that looking at the numbers which said 18runs:21throws in a game which we spent most of playing from behind wasn't all that unreasonable. At least not enough to say that our headcoach hates the run.

Cya

The game plans this year have been down right disgusting except for Game 1. In game 1, we rightly came out throwing to back the Texans off the line and then started running Willis. Every game since it seems we establish absolutely nothing, no rhythm, nothing, even when we've got a back who has hit the holes excellently since being called out in week 2.

There is absolutely no reason to run bullsh-- gadget plays when you have not established either the run or the pass. The defense does not bite and it smacks of fear.

Where the hell was Willis the past 2 games? If they don't have 8 in the box, run the damn ball. When they bring up 8, have JP toss some short to medium routes. Take a shot down field on a play action once in a while. IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE. We are victims of overcoaching.

When the other team is getting pressure with 4 men you have to either run the ball or throw short routes. WHERE IS THE TE?

The fourth down call this week was horrible both in timing and execution. Down by 6, if you don't make it and the Saints get a FG the game is over. That's exactly what happened. If you can't get 8 inches when you need it, your team is in big trouble. How do you not just fall over Anderson's fat ass for 8 inches?

Pulling JP at that time was ridiculous. Your starter is down by 6 points and you pull him? How's he going to develop without playing? Make the change in the middle of the week, not at that point of the game.

Sickening. Just run the damn ball please.

RTB

I guess he's stubborn and hates handing the ball to #21. It worked well on the first drive and that seemed to irk him. So Willis received 3 carries over the next 2 quarters and we didn't see a first down for a long time. Disgusting.

The Bills deserve every bit of this 1-3 record and Mularkey cannot defend his obvious hatred for a low risk run based offense that may be our best chance to win with our current roster.

So continue running pass plays that have zero chance of succeeding. Keep calling flea ficker hook & ladders.

NFL = Not For Long . It applies to coaches and also GM's.

461450[/snapback]

When he was mentioned as a potential coach I thought way too many gimmicks. Charlie Weiss sure sounds good now. The Notre Dame offense has been pretty good this year.

Cya

461682[/snapback]

not to nitpick, but you're not including 4 sacks and the scrambles by losman (three were scrambles, i think; one was a planned qb draw). that makes it 28 passes to 19 runs.