Looks like Pennington is done for

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor..._len&id=2176813

"There are no current players, former players or orthopedic surgeons -- at least among the dozen or so people interviewed by ESPN.com this week -- who could readily identify a quarterback who has even undergone two rotator cuff procedures, let alone come back from them."

"It was the most miserable time of my life and there's really no other word to describe it," Miller said. "Unless you've been there, it's hard to explain, really. But you keep telling yourself: 'I owe it to the team. They're paying me to go out and play. I've got to go out there and try it.' And all you really do is make it worse, to be honest. Worse for yourself. Worse for the team. Worse for everybody."

Majkowski said. "I mean, it's excruciating. People don't understand, maybe, unless they've had it. But the shoulder is the biggest range-of-motion part of anyone's body. Bigger than the knee even. Just to get back that range of motion -- to get it to the point where you can just function, and I'm not even talking about the football part, but more like everyday stuff -- takes an enormous amount of work and pain."

Now with a second injury, even if it's not another torn rotator cuff, he's as good as done as an elite QB. The Jets now need to find a long term starting QB.

Hell of a cap hit for the Jets. When I saw the huge extension he signed, I thought it was a terrible leap of faith. I just didn't view him as special and deserving of that obscene amount of $$.

That will hurt their cap for a couple years, at least.

[The message that Miller, Majkowski, Danielson, Couch and Buffalo Bills backup Kelly Holcomb would have for Pennington, if they were asked to counsel him: Take your time in recovering and don't try to play again until 100 percent rehabilitated. No matter how long and frustrating a process that entails.

460173[/snapback]

Holcomb has it too?

Ya know what? !@#$ Pennington. The guy thought the world owned him something. Now hes got to deal with life, just like the rest of us.

460169[/snapback]

He has a hell of a lot of money and isn't he a Rhodes Scholar? I don't think he'll be digging ditches. <_<

I feel for these guys... although not an NFL QB, I can relate.

I had my rotator cuff repaired by the Bills orth. surgeon Dr. John Marzo. I had a complete tear that needed to be re-attached. I had many, many sleepless nights as the aches and pains seemed to never subside. Simple things like pushing a screen door open could drop me to my knees. It was a very long road back. The worst part was trying to regain the range of motion you once had. It took a lot of painful stretching and therapy, but I am able to do the same free-weight training I did before, and actually my shoulder is much stronger now.

Ya know what? !@#$ Pennington. The guy thought the world owned him something. Now hes got to deal with life, just like the rest of us.

460169[/snapback]

One has to love the class and empathy you display. Nice job.

[The message that Miller, Majkowski, Danielson, Couch and Buffalo Bills backup Kelly Holcomb would have for Pennington, if they were asked to counsel him: Take your time in recovering and don't try to play again until 100 percent rehabilitated. No matter how long and frustrating a process that entails.

460173[/snapback]

Holcomb has it too?

460182[/snapback]

Saw that too. Was confused by it since I don't ever remember that. (I lived in cleveland for 4 years so I kinda follow what's going on with the Browns)

It really explains what happened to Jim Miller. He was playing pretty well and then dropped off a cliff.

QUOTE(RkFast @ Sep 30 2005, 03:57 PM)

green is an ugly color on you.  B-)

460185[/snapback]

Word. Pretty sad reflection on you if you hate someone and wish them ill merely because they earn more than you or because they play for a competing team.

"There are no current players, former players or orthopedic surgeons -- at least among the dozen or so people interviewed by ESPN.com this week -- who could readily identify a quarterback who has even undergone two rotator cuff procedures, let alone come back from them."

"It was the most miserable time of my life and there's really no other word to describe it," Miller said. "Unless you've been there, it's hard to explain, really. But you keep telling yourself: 'I owe it to the team. They're paying me to go out and play. I've got to go out there and try it.' And all you really do is make it worse, to be honest. Worse for yourself. Worse for the team. Worse for everybody."

Majkowski said. "I mean, it's excruciating. People don't understand, maybe, unless they've had it. But the shoulder is the biggest range-of-motion part of anyone's body. Bigger than the knee even. Just to get back that range of motion -- to get it to the point where you can just function, and I'm not even talking about the football part, but more like everyday stuff -- takes an enormous amount of work and pain."

Now with a second injury, even if it's not another torn rotator cuff, he's as good as done as an elite QB.  The Jets now need to find a long term starting QB.

460153[/snapback]

i'm obviously an enemy of the jets, but i live in ny and follow them somewhat by default. bottom line: pennington is really, really likeable, and i feel really bad for him. sure, he's got a lot of money socked away, so he'll be ok. but all the same it's sad. he was the classic example of a guy who had physical limitations but who made up for it with smarts, accuracy, leadership, and mastering the little details.

Now with a second injury, even if it's not another torn rotator cuff, he's as good as done as an elite QB.  The Jets now need to find a long term starting QB.

460153[/snapback]

Pennington was never, ever, an elite QB. He's the most overrated QB in the last 10 years. He's had more smoke blown up his ass than Tom Brady but at least Brady could back up the hype. He was hyped up the wazoo by the NYC market who seem to think the Jets will be in the SuperBowl every single year. The guy sat behind Vinne-freakin-Testaverde for 4 years and had ONE good year. Sorry you're hurt Chad, seeya.

RTB

i'm obviously an enemy of the jets, but i live in ny and follow them somewhat by default.  bottom line: pennington is really, really likeable, and i feel really bad for him. sure, he's got a lot of money socked away, so he'll be ok. but all the same it's sad. he was the classic example of a guy who had physical limitations but who made up for it with smarts, accuracy, leadership, and mastering the little details.

460216[/snapback]

I always thought Pennington was a good quarterback who, somehow, was underrated and overrated at the same time, no small feat. He got the most out of his limited abilities, and really put the ball where it needed to be a lot, and won some games with his smarts, but was a huge liability and would often get his receivers killed because of his rag arm that wasn't a premiere quarterback. He seemed like a nice enough guy and I don't wish this kind of injury, especially a career threatening on on him. It's a shame.

i'm obviously an enemy of the jets, but i live in ny and follow them somewhat by default.  bottom line: pennington is really, really likeable, and i feel really bad for him. sure, he's got a lot of money socked away, so he'll be ok. but all the same it's sad. he was the classic example of a guy who had physical limitations but who made up for it with smarts, accuracy, leadership, and mastering the little details.

460216[/snapback]

Agreed. Having been forced to watch a lot of Jet games, I've always liked Pennington, even if I usually was rooting against him.

460153[/snapback]

Majkowski was the first guy I thought of last year when he was hurt. DM could have had a HOF type career. It's probably the worst injury a QB can have. Pennington should be just entering his prime, but instead he'll be lucky to be able to even sleep properly...