Symptom: Poor school grades

A typical report card by a troubled video game player:

Computer Education Excellent

English Poor

Mathemathics Poor

Science Poor

Social Studies Poor

Physical Education Poor

Never assume drugs or otherwise is the problem for your child's poor academic performance. Video game addiction is not to be under-estimated. It is a serious epidemic plaguing our children nationwide. We recommend getting professional psychiatric help.

I love this part:

459172[/snapback]

I like this one...

Symptom: Child spending numerous amount of time in their bedroom and at home

Perhaps he is ummm... doing another unholy activity but still working on his motor skills. Amen!

1. The video game industry has a pretty effective ratings system. Take five minutes and learn about it and then only allow your child to purchase games that you deem appropriate based on the ratings system.

2. Monitor how much your kid is playing video games. Like anything else, including doing homework, there is such a thing as too much. Of course this requires that the parent take an active role in their child's life.

/problem solved

I throw my support to No Ma'am.

BUNDYISMS:

9 SACRED COMMANDMENTS

1. It's okay to call hooters "knockers" and sometimes "snack trays."

2. It is wrong to be French.

3. It's okay to put all bad people in a giant meat grinder.

4. Lawyers: see rule three.

5. It is okay to drive a gas guzzler if it helps you get babes.

6. Everyone should car pool except me.

7. Bring back the word "stewardesses".

8. Synchronized Swimming is not a sport.

9. Mudwrestling is a sport.

You know, I personally know some adults that have had their lives go to hell because they haven't had the ability to control their gaming time.

I used to carpool with a guy who would stay up all night playing these games. I'd show up at his house at a quarter of six in the morning and he'd be doing laundry on no sleep. His house would be covered in garbage and his dog would have left a pair or three "surprises" that he'd subsequently ignore as he was too busy to step away from his keyboard. Piles of diapers 6 high in the corner of the living room - but he'd be damned not to get a new level a night. Him and his wife both.

(Notice I said "control their gaming time" as oppose to "break free of the addictive game X")

Two former co-workers used to play 'em at work all day. When the boss would walk over, they'd shut the laptops and look busy. The ironic part? The boss would go into HIS office and play the same damn game!

I'm talking series consequences. Divorce, lost jobs, houses covered in dog piss, child welfare agencies. Some nuts stuff. Some of these guys would get home from the office at 4 (leaving early to get back to leveling) and sit in a smoke filled basement until well past midnight.

It's interesting to hear these guys talk, too. They get so intense about "The Power Sword of Slaughter" and whatnot. Not getting enough playing time in will really ruin their day.

Now that said, I'm sure there are problems regardless of video games and that EQ/WoW/DaoC just happens to be the outlet they set their sights on. Most people can control it, other people simply over-indulge in *everything* they do. You know, the type that can't have one beer, one chicken wing, or one night out a week. It's a personality issue in my opinion and not a video game problem. It does exist, though!

Did a bit of reading on the topic. A lot of people relate EQ with Skinner's Box (Google it). While the theory holds water, I doubt it was an intentional design decision.

So yeah... people really get hooked on this crap, regardless of fault. I, however, enjoy an hour or so a week of World of Warcraft and then go spend time with my family.

-Jeff