Is Mularkey Meathead II?

Wiz

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to quote Mike Florio, but is Mularkey a competent head coach.  He seems to be a real likable guy, but in talking to Pittsburgh fans, they weren't sad to see him or Clements go.

458384[/snapback]

Call me crazy, but despite the way things look now, I still think Mularkey is going to be a great coach. The team has made a number of personel moves I haven't cared for (letting Bledsoe and Pat Williams go with no replacement in mind, come immediately to mind), but I can't complain too much about Mularkey as a coach. I am also not sure how responsible he is for those moves. All coaches "make lousy calls' when things don't work. I am not sure what Mularkey has done so far that anyone could say he incompetnet...

Call me crazy, but despite the way things look now, I still think Mularkey is going to be a great coach.  The team has made a number of personel moves I haven't cared for (letting Bledsoe and Pat Williams go with no replacement in mind, come immediately to mind), but I can't complain too much about Mularkey as a coach.  I am also not sure how responsible he is for those moves.    All coaches "make lousy calls' when things don't work.  I am not sure what Mularkey has done so far that anyone could say he incompetnet...

458426[/snapback]

MM seems to have escaped any blame for the past two losses while everybody has placed the blame on TD for his personnel moves. From a personnel standpoint, this team has above average talent. Yeah, he's hamstrung with a rookie qb who can't hit the broad side of a barn. However, he had to tell TD after last season that they could win with JP, otherwise TD would have brought in another veteran to start. Mularkey is responsible for getting the team prepared for Sunday and developing a game plan. In the past two weeks, MM hasn't gotten the job done.

Don't get me wrong, Mularkey deserves a lot more time, but his name has been largely absent from any threads critical of the team's performance.

Sure, but I wonder how great Cowher was in his very first year.

I am thinking that MM has good decision making skills, but lacks experience.

I think that MM will be around as a head coach for a long time in the NFL.

Jmo.

458545[/snapback]

Problem is, I called out meathead last year and people said give him a break it's his first year, he'll be much better next year after watching film and seeing where he messed up.

Guess what, I think he got worse.

Cowhar BTW, made the playoffs his first year, and went to the AFC Championship game and had 12 regular season wins his second year.

Problem is, I called out meathead last year and people said give him a break it's his first year, he'll be much better next year after watching film and seeing where he messed up. 

Guess what, I think he got worse. 

Cowhar BTW, made the playoffs his first year, and went to the AFC Championship game and had 12 regular season wins his second year.

458566[/snapback]

Good response VA. The thing is, MM is now saddled with a "rookie" qb who plays behind an OL which is perhaps average, injured, and thin.

Pitt. as I recall had a bad year when their OL was almost totally out due to injury.

Btw, I do not give MM a complete "pass" because of JP. I still have a crappy feeling that MM and TD were SOOO put upon by the Pitt debacle that the decision to go with JP was based far too much on this one game. Of course, we will never know if this is true.

I just like the way MM handles the team, and calls the game (trick plays and 4th downs, etc.). GW seemed to have no clue. Honsetly, I thought that Wade was a better head coach than GW by far.

Are you unhappy with MM?

Good response VA. The thing is, MM is now saddled with a "rookie" qb who plays behind an OL which is perhaps average, injured, and thin.

Pitt. as I recall had a bad year when their OL was almost totally out due to injury.

Btw, I do not give MM a complete "pass" because of JP. I still have a crappy feeling that MM and TD were SOOO put upon by the Pitt debacle that the decision to go with JP was based far too much on this one game. Of course, we will never know if this is true.

I just like the way MM handles the team, and calls the game (trick plays and 4th downs, etc.). GW seemed to have no clue. Honsetly, I thought that Wade was a better head coach than GW by far.

Are you unhappy with MM?

458584[/snapback]

Trick plays and 4th down going for it, are a large part of his problem. They aren't good trick plays. That mickey mouse end around flea flicker !@#$ed up throw back and loss 20 yards that he has run a couple times has got to go. The going for it on 4th is Maddenish and even when he does that QB sneak when the RB is playing great was flat out stupid.

As far as steel chin goes He has coached for 13 years, made 9 playoffs and won his division 8 times. Remember, he had Kordell, and some other screwed up picks in there as well. He has made several QBs look like super stars.

Trick plays and 4th down going for it, are a large part of his problem.  They aren't good trick plays.  That mickey mouse end around flea flicker !@#$ed up throw back and loss 20 yards that he has run a couple times has got to go.  The going for it on 4th is Maddenish and even when he does that QB sneak when the RB is playing great was flat out stupid. 

As far as steel chin goes He has coached for 13 years, made 9 playoffs and won his division 8 times.  Remember, he had Kordell, and some other screwed up picks in there as well.  He has made several QBs look like super stars.

458594[/snapback]

So do you think that coaching is the biggest reason that the Steelers have a better record than the Bills in the last 10 years?

So do you think that coaching is the biggest reason that the Steelers have a better record than the Bills in the last 10 years?

458598[/snapback]

I think that is part of it. Yeah I know Mularkey and Clements were there during some of that time. But I think steel chin is a little bit of a control freak and takes responsibility for stuff, hence his run-ins with Donahoe and the forcing of TD out. I think he is commited to winning and oversees things much better. He also seems to have a better feel for the games.

458598[/snapback]

They are a very good business organization that likes stability. Noll was HC for 23 years, and now Cowher in his 13th year.

Whether one likes them or despises them, their teams always show up and hit hard regardless of talent level.

They are a very good business organization that likes stability. Noll was HC for 23 years, and now Cowher in his 13th year.

Whether one likes them or despises them, their teams always show up and hit hard regardless of talent level.

458658[/snapback]

Yes, and TD was there in a similar spot as he is here.....running a football team for one of the less wealthy owners, in a cold weather, blue collar town.

A major difference is that over there, he brought in good blockers. :devil:

I hate to quote Mike Florio, but is Mularkey a competent head coach.  He seems to be a real likable guy, but in talking to Pittsburgh fans, they weren't sad to see him or Clements go.

458384[/snapback]

Now why would anyone quote that azzho Florio on this site, let alone read anything by him. Furthermore, taking what this guy says as even remotely true is effen stupid. STUPID!