Some D perspective

Can't stop the run---that is the biggest problem with this team right now. I don't care about the overall rank--we are last or second to last in the whole NFL against the run. Run and stop the run! We can do the one on offense.

I do agree JP has looked abysmal but the D was awful Sunday.

The Defense is dead last in the NFL in rushing yardage allowed.

Draft another TE, TD.

457606[/snapback]

Exactly. Teams that are last in defense typically are the ones that either defense the run well or are just plain bad against the pass. We only look good because it is difficult to run up enough yards on the ground against a defense to have them be "too bad" on paper. The tell tale sign is the last against the run.

Teams don't have to pass and run up the yards that way.

Exactly.  Teams that are last in defense typically are the ones that either defense the run well or are just plain bad against the pass.  We only look good because it is difficult to run up enough yards on the ground against a defense to have them be "too bad" on paper.  The tell tale sign is the last against the run. 

Teams don't have to pass and run up the yards that way.

457610[/snapback]

:w00t:

As the Bengals wandered in the desert for over a decade, they were fond of saying one year they were strong against the run, and the following year they were good in stopping the pass.

It was another way of saying that one year, opposing teams could sign Ray Charles or Jose Feliciano and hit 'em for big ones over the middle - and the following year send Grandma Moses off-tackle, confident she would run for daylight.

:w00t:

As the Bengals wandered in the desert for over a decade, they were fond of saying one year they were strong against the run, and the following year they were good in stopping the pass.

It was another way of saying that one year, opposing teams could sign Ray Charles or Jose Feliciano and hit 'em for big ones over the middle -  and the following year send Grandma Moses off-tackle, confident she would run for daylight.

457624[/snapback]

Kind of.

Go back to our Super Bowl years. I am not sure we were ever ranked in the top 15 defenses in the league. That was because we didn't have the best corners or safeties and therefore somewhat easy to throw against us. But run defense we were pretty solid by then, including Bruce who had struggled earlier on in his career. But in addition out offense scored so quickly and so much that teams had to air it out more to play catch-up.

Kind of like Indy as well. Their defense probably wasn't as bad as the stats showed, but this year they are also probably all of a sudden not as good either. The truth lies somewhere in between.

We are the 7th ranked D in the NFL. Lowest Passing YPG, only 50PA and 2nd overall in the AFC.

Our O on the other had.....

31st - ahead of Houston.  :lol:

457602[/snapback]

bear in mind that our defensive stats are totally inflated by the houston game, in which the texans barely gained 100 total yards.

Can't stop the run---that is the biggest problem with this team right now.  I don't care about the overall rank--we are last or second to last in the whole NFL against the run.  Run and stop the run!  We can do the one on offense. 

I do agree JP has looked abysmal but the D was awful Sunday.

457605[/snapback]

Stopping the run is definitely the problem, something we were strong at last year. It's time for Tim Anderson to get a look in the starting lineup.