Why the Spikes injury doesn't change anything

Guest BackInDaDay
scheme a good scheme

457724[/snapback]

I loved that song.. or was it 'to scheme the impossible scheme' ? ... or 'scheme a little scheme for me'?... or maybe 'scheme weaver'? :lol:

The OP has a point. I'm not trying to diminish the loss of Spikes. Anytime you lose a Pro Bowler it hurts. However, many times it forces a team to rethink strategy and players to rethink commitment to the team. I wouldn't be surprised to see the D completely shutdown the next 2 or 3 opponents.

Then again....

This defense is vastly overrated and could completely collapse for the rest of the season.

Guest BackInDaDay
The OP has a point.  I'm not trying to diminish the loss of Spikes.  Anytime you lose a Pro Bowler it hurts.  However, many times it forces a team to rethink strategy and players to rethink commitment to the team.  I wouldn't be surprised to see the D completely shutdown the next 2 or 3 opponents. 

Then again....

This defense is vastly overrated and could completely collapse for the rest of the season.

457787[/snapback]

John Kerry, don't you have other things to do, besides posting here? :lol:

Amazingly though, I remember people making the same argument that losing Phat Pat wasn't going to hurt either.

457600[/snapback]

What amazes me is that so many Bills fans believe Phat Pat is the reason we cant seem to stop the run right now. Put yourself in TD shoes for once and answer me truely that you would have paid this guy the money he wanted for someone beyond peek in his career? I really dont think loosing Pat is what is hurting the run. I think that Gray has taken a more aggressive approach to the play calling trying to force turnovers etc and the resuts are far down from last year. I Think that crazy brit summed it up perfectly that loosing Spikes may actually force others to step it up and grey to go a little more conservative on the run blitzing.

I also see the point that Nick is making and have had the same thoughts myself. is the injury to Spikes a big loss of a incredibly talented player?

Yes.

Can he be replaced and the team actually perform better against the run?

Yes to that also?

In fact, if onlu because we have produiced so badly in the last two games, one irony is that even with worse play with loss of Spikes we will probably perform better.

The fact is that AT led the league in rushing last year with the singular and unique abilities and threats that vick provided. Even with the murderer's row of good rushers we are set to face in the next 4 games, i think I would much rather face a Fuece McCallister led rushing attack from a discombobulated NO team, a Miami team that has been surprising but Wickry will not be back and it is in our house, Curtis Martin leding a discombobulated Jets team into our house and whatever the Raiders are throwing against the wall when we take our cheesburgers to the left coast in 4 weeks than face Michael Vick (or the emerging cadillac for that matter).

In addition to the competition being tough over the next 4 but probably not as tough, there are other ways to make up for the loss of Spikes:

1. Players have to step up- The best caser occurence in real life was that in 2001 NE lost their 1st round drafted, multiple Pro Bowl recipient, former player in the SB Drew Bledsoe to a sudden injury. They replaced him with a 2nd year player who showed no (sero, zippo, nada) signs of being a pick to guide them to the SB. I think Spikes is far better than Bledsoe but whatever a Bill will have to step-up and surprising thimgs can happen.

2. The Scheme is Key- A good scheme does not make a good team, but a good scheme can make a team better. There is a challenge here the Bills can profit from and the coaches will simply have to put the players in the best position foor them to make plays. Can the team actually perform better because the coaches do not use the extraordinary skills of Spikes as a crutch and actually cheat the LBs more to support the run stffening it and the pressure then falls on asking more one/one coverage from Clements/McGee? Could be we will see.

3. Is our team a TEAM?- The reason that NE has won so much in my mind is that the way they announced themselves in the first SB was key. The bagged the individual announcements of a feature unit and instead introduced themselves as a TEAM. At crunch tiime this made the difference.

I am I happy about losing Spikes? No.

Do i think Spikes cam be replaced and the Bills actually will perform better?

Yes. it will be hard for it to be worse and in the end players imply have to step up. Left to norma;ity some will and some won't. but if we are a TEAM we will.

Do i think Spikes cam be replaced and the Bills actually will perform better?

Yes. it will be hard for it to be worse and in the end players imply have to step up.  Left to norma;ity some will and some won't. but if we are a TEAM we will.

457901[/snapback]

I'd like to see if they can pick up an older vet with a bit of gas left in his tank. They obviously can't snap their fingers and find someone with Spikes' physical abilities, but when Spikes was lost, so was a lot of football savvy.

Quite a time ago, the Bills got good mileage out of Phil Villapiano (sp).

I'm a bit of a Mario Haggan fan, also. Perhaps he'll get some playing time.

What amazes me is that so many Bills fans believe Phat Pat is the reason we cant seem to stop the run right now.  Put yourself in TD shoes for once and answer me truely that you would have paid this guy the money he wanted for someone beyond peek in his career?    I really dont think loosing Pat is what is hurting the run.  I think that Gray has taken a more aggressive approach to the play calling trying to force turnovers etc and the resuts are far down from last year.  I Think that crazy brit summed it up perfectly that loosing Spikes may actually force others to step it up and grey to go a little more conservative on the run blitzing.

457866[/snapback]

it's not just about whether to pay pat or not.......there were other options available.....if you decide your not going to pay the guy you need to adequately replace him and the last 2 games have shown that the bills did not do this effectively.......

that being said, many seem to view pat purely at what he does on the field, ignoring the impact he had in the locker room and the message it sent to the rest of the team when the bills made a lowball effort to sign him......