Re-watched the game......

ajzepp

After watching most of the game for a second time, I am left with some pretty strong feelings about our defense. I'm going to focus on the positive, though, cause that's what inspired me to post this.....

Does anyone doubt that if the QB was ANYONE other than Vick, we'd have had about 6 sacks? The way we were coming on defense reminded me of the Buddy Ryan-coached unit of the Oilers from the early 90s. It took arguably the greatest QB of all time - Joe Montana - to knock them out of the playoffs...but that defense was BRUTAL. Vick was just too damn quick though, and many times the 'out' he found was right up the damn middle of our defense. I really think if we bring the same kind of pressure as we did against Atlanta, our D will get back on track. We'll get sacks and we'll get turnovers.

The only QB I can think of other than Vick that we may want to NOT play this aggressively against is Brady. Aside from those two, I say we keep bringing the damn house. It didn't work out for us last weekend, but I really liked how aggressive we were on that side of the ball.

Yea, I watched it too. Or at least the parts I could stomach. I'm repeating myself here, but hey. What pisses me off is that the Eagles showed the world how to shut down Vick and the Falcons in the championship game last season:

YOU DON'T BLITZ HIM AT ALL. You play disciplined gap control defense and force his RECEIVERS to beat you, which they won't.

What does Jerry Gray do? He blitzes Vick on EVERY FUGGIN PLAY. I blame the coaches first, players second. This is a coach's game. The chess pieces carry out orders. If their orders are flawed, they will appear to be flawed themselves. But that's not necessarily the case.

POSITIVES: And there were some.

After watching the TB and Falcons game closely, one thing is certain: The Bills DID indeed find a real gem in Mike Gandy. THERE IS NO DROP OFF at LT, folks. NONE. He's given up One sack through 3 games, and it was really Benny's man. He stood up Simeon Rice all game. He has one penalty in 3 games. He came at 1/10th the cost of the often injured Jennings. Only 3 games in, and Gandy has arrived. He's proven himself. We should all be happy about this.

Benny Anderson is also a major upgrade over the stiffs we've had there for years. He's not real fast picking up some of the line stunts but he holds his ground man up as good as anyone, and if you're going to beat him you're going to have to bring a blitzer. We should be happy about this.

Most of our sacks are coming from the right side. I like Villarial but he's not exactly the dominant force I expected him to be. He's solid and dependable and unspectacular.

I'm unimpressed with the play of Greg Jerman and to a lesser extent Trey teague. The falcons pressured Losman quickly because they had it easy. They were in "pin your ears back" mode, and let's face it...Coleman is one of the best DLinemen in the league. I'm not surprised he had a great day.

Losman is missing open receivers and you can see the frustration in the WR's body language. He seems to stare them down and say to himself, "he's open". But he still has the ball and then he runs to the right, finds nobody, and tosses it away.

Many of Losman's incompletions are intentional throw aways. It tells a story. And the story is, I believe he's taken in so much information that he's forgotten how to just play football. Just PLAY. If he shows an inability to pull the trigger on time for another game, I do believe that it'll be time to play Holcomb. We want to WIN, not DEVELOP. Last year the Giants did it with a bigger investment than Losman, so why not us? They pulled Eli's ass on the grounds that he simply was not ready for all that the NFL would present.

Losman isn't either.

Oh, and by the way...If there's one guy who has shown me NOTHING through 3 games, it's Ron Edwards. Some contract year, huh Ron? Slacker...

You want to know what is funny. After the first game I remember reading a post about how Edwards was a beast and is just as good as P. Williams. Anyway, after Losman got sacked and fumbled at the end of the game, Losman came to the sideline with his helmet off and looked helpless. I was actually kind of glad to see him like that, because I think it will be better for him in the long run. You have to prove something before you can be cocky, and he was way too cocky to begin with.

You want to know what is funny.  After the first game I remember reading a post about how Edwards was a beast and is just as good as P. Williams.  Anyway, after Losman got sacked and fumbled at the end of the game, Losman came to the sideline with his helmet off and looked helpless.  I was actually kind of glad to see him like that, because I think it will be better for him in the long run.  You have to prove something before you can be cocky, and he was way too cocky to begin with.

457225[/snapback]

I don't think JP has been cocky at all....he's worked hard and he's given every indication he's committed to the Buffalo area and to this team....If I were a betting man, I'd put money on the fact that he'll end up being a quality starting QB.

Thanks. I agree with everything that Jim just stated. WTF is with all the fans leaving so early in the game? They call themselves Bills fans?

Good point with the short passes. Get the rythm going early. Does anyone recall seeing crossing pattern this season? I don't at all. He threw a hell of a quick slant in the preseason alot and accurate. Roll the kid out more too.. Arghhhhh!

God I love JIMBO! God Bless the Kelly family.

After watching most of the game for a second time, I am left with some pretty strong feelings about our defense. I'm going to focus on the positive, though, cause that's what inspired me to post this.....

Does anyone doubt that if the QB was ANYONE other than Vick, we'd have had about 6 sacks? The way we were coming on defense reminded me of the Buddy Ryan-coached unit of the Oilers from the early 90s. It took arguably the greatest QB of all time - Joe Montana - to knock them out of the playoffs...but that defense was BRUTAL. Vick was just too damn quick though, and many times the 'out' he found was right up the damn middle of our defense.  I really think if we bring the same kind of pressure as we did against Atlanta, our D will get back on track. We'll get sacks and we'll get turnovers.

The only QB I can think of other than Vick that we may want to NOT play this aggressively against is Brady. Aside from those two, I say we keep bringing the damn house. It didn't work out for us last weekend, but I really liked how aggressive we were on that side of the ball.

457141[/snapback]

Bills defense did rattle Vick early and would have stopped the Falcons if they don't hit Vick in the head.

With Vick having a gimpy hamstring, all out pressure was the correct call.

Agree with some short passes to get both Losman and the WR into the flow of the game. When their CBs are giving you a 10-15 yard cushion take the 5 yard out, the WR screen and run with it. Make them play you tighter! Also it is an easier pass to complete and safer. Get your QB some confidence.

I heard most of the game on radio, since for the third straight week (frustration) I had either a family or job related commitment that would not let me watch most of the game live. I taped it, but couldn't bring myself to watch the tape. I have heard, that teams have been more successful versus Vick when the keep eight men in the box, but then play gap control as you said. The idea is you simply don't let him break containment.

Based on last year, you have to say Jerry Gray is a good coordinator, but even good coordinators sometimes make mistakes. Maybe this time it was the scheme.

Thanks, Buddy! I think that's something that all the fans need to hear, when you listen to those words from the greatest QB in Bills history telling us to be patient with this kid it shows me that if Jimbo billieves in JP who the hell are we not to? I'm sure that Jim must see something in this guy in order to endorse him the way he does!

I heard most of the game on radio, since for the third straight week (frustration) I had either a family or job related commitment that would not let me watch most of the game live.  I taped it, but couldn't bring myself to watch the tape.  I have heard, that teams have been more successful versus Vick when the keep eight men in the box, but then play gap control as you said.  The idea is you simply don't let him break containment.

Based on last year, you have to say Jerry Gray is a good coordinator, but even good coordinators sometimes make mistakes.  Maybe this time it was the scheme.

457561[/snapback]

I think Gray (in this case) was a victim of circumstance in his playcalling against Atlanta, after he admitted to being less aggressive against Tampa the week prior he vowed to blitz more and go back to attacking on defense which unfortunately was not the right decision against Vick and co. :w00t:

Many of Losman's incompletions are intentional throw aways. It tells a story. And the story is, I believe he's taken in so much information that he's forgotten how to just play football. Just PLAY. I would present.

457188[/snapback]

He's also heard that all he has to do is "not lose games" a million times. That probably isn't helping him pull the trigger either.