Surprises and Disappointments

AKC

There were enough indications this past offseason that we should expect drop offs in play on both sides of the ball that it would be unfair for me to express disappointment in those right now. For instance, as mentioned many times here, if Ron Edwards were starting in our rushing down package we should expect to drop about 10-15 total spots in our rush defense ranking. Another result of Edwards porous run play, again as outlined on numerous occasions here, would be a cumulative degeneration of our linebacking corp's health. The season has so far mirrored those predictions.

On the offensive side of the ball it was clear we would be asking a kid with no good pocket experience in college and no real experience in the pros to come out and play sound football as the point guard in our offense. It was unrealistic before the season to expect him to be effective and he surely hasn’t disappointed on that count. He’s likely to be 3 years from even beginning to realize his potential and the time getting there will be tough for all of us. Again though, hardly unexpected from many of our seats.

Where I can say I’ve been surprisingly disappointed has been in sideline coaching decisions- I predicted we would finish about .500 with Edwards and Losman holding their spots but I really based that on entering week 5 at 3 and 1, something that won’t happen now. We face too many good running teams this year to expect to have a favorable record at the end of the season.

Overall I’ve been happy with Mularkey’s growth as a head coach, but his scolding of McGahee in the press after last week’s game was a major disappointment. Where was he during the game, when so many of us were observing and deriding the same trepidation by Willis? I expect a coach to react DURING a game when there’s a clear situation unfolding, especially one that might be effectively addressed on the sidelines in real time. Not to mention that addressing it in real time might just tip the game in your team’s favor.

Yesterday Jerry Gray kept pressuring the middle against a poor passer who is most dangerous when he gets into space with his feet. Pressuring Vick is arguably playing to his strength. But more so, Atlanta clearly felt that they could simply swing balls to the sides and make us pay for all the blitzing. When it was far too clear early on that their strategy was trumping ours, where was the decision to adjust our D? We were so predictable defensively that for a second week, with a simple adjustment that could have tipped the game in our favor, we just didn’t appear capable of reacting.

Of all the things that doomed this season from the beginning, our refusal to consider shoring up the DLine seemed the most obvious- while other teams like NE, Philly and San Diego were using 1st round picks to help their playoff teams on the defensive side of the ball, other teams were picking us free agents like Jason Ferguson, a legitimate starting talent in the defensive interior like the player we lost who requires a second body if you want to run his direction. Other teams like Miami added Keith Traylor and Kevin Carter. Indy did them all one better by bringing in the talented Corey Simon. We sat on our thumbs, apparently looking for some way to overpay a very talented CB next year; a guy playing at the single position our management team has shown a special ability to uncover talent via that draft at.

But even outside of the roster we’re fielding, the coaches are failing at their sideline jobs too. Just some decent coaching in the past two games might very well have led us to a 2-1 start. Problem is, we’re 1-2. After we’ve seen Priest, LaDanian, Rickey and Rudi plus Corey and Curtis a couple times we’ll all get to see if the trend of playing our Bill’s continues to bounce running backs up the Yards Gained board.

A word to the wise- don’t bet against it.

Yesterday Jerry Gray kept pressuring the middle against a poor passer who is most dangerous when he gets into space with his feet. Pressuring Vick is arguably playing to his strength. But more so, Atlanta clearly felt that they could simply swing balls to the sides and make us pay for all the blitzing. When it was far too clear early on that their strategy was trumping ours, where was the decision to adjust our D? We were so predictable defensively that for a second week, with a simple adjustment that could have tipped the game in our favor, we just didn’t appear capable of reacting.

455654[/snapback]

That's the biggest problem I had with the D game plan as well. Why do I have the feeling that if it was New England, BB would've played the old 2-7-2 flood the passing/running lane defense and confuse the hell out of Mr. Mexico.

After the fifth up-the-middle blizt that didn't work, I started to wonder what Grey was thinking. After the tenth, I think I had an idea...and it wasn't good.

There were enough indications this past offseason that we should expect drop offs in play on both sides of the ball that it would be unfair for me to express disappointment in those right now. For instance, as mentioned many times here, if Ron Edwards were starting in our rushing down package we should expect to drop about 10-15 total spots in our rush defense ranking. Another result of Edwards porous run play, again as outlined on numerous occasions here, would be a cumulative degeneration of our linebacking corp's health. The season has so far mirrored those predictions.

On the offensive side of the ball it was clear we would be asking a kid with no good pocket experience in college and no real experience in the pros to come out and play sound football as the point guard in our offense. It was unrealistic before the season to expect him to be effective and he surely hasn’t disappointed on that count. He’s likely to be 3 years from even beginning to realize his potential and the time getting there will be tough for all of us. Again though, hardly unexpected from many of our seats.

Where I can say I’ve been surprisingly disappointed has been in sideline coaching decisions- I predicted we would finish about .500 with Edwards and Losman holding their spots but I really based that on entering week 5 at 3 and 1, something that won’t happen now. We face too many good running teams this year to expect to have a favorable record at the end of the season.

It indeed looks like your predictions have come to fruition so far, although I'm seeing it as more of a team thing on defense still than just one man (Edwards, who you accurately portrayed as a liability in run support). The whole front seven failed at different times yesterday in gap control for example.

Overall I’ve been happy with Mularkey’s growth as a head coach, but his scolding of McGahee in the press after last week’s game was a major disappointment. Where was he during the game, when so many of us were observing and deriding the same trepidation by Willis? I expect a coach to react DURING a game when there’s a clear situation unfolding, especially one that might be effectively addressed on the sidelines in real time. Not to mention that addressing it in real time might just tip the game in your team’s favor.

I feel nearly certain that it was addressed in-game by both Mularkey and the RB coach vs. Tampa. Also, I don't think I was the only one who noticed Willis running with much more decisiveness yesterday on his way to a career high. Looks like that worked out for Mularkey.

I totally agree with every word of that. I was waiting for us to contain and make him feel "comfortable" in the pocket and drop into zones. Never happened. :devil:

Of all the things that doomed this season from the beginning, our refusal to consider shoring up the DLine seemed the most obvious- while other teams like NE, Philly and San Diego were using 1st round picks to help their playoff teams on the defensive side of the ball, other teams were picking us free agents like Jason Ferguson, a legitimate starting talent in the defensive interior like the player we lost who requires a second body if you want to run his direction. Other teams like Miami added Keith Traylor and Kevin Carter. Indy did them all one better by bringing in the talented Corey Simon. We sat on our thumbs, apparently looking for some way to overpay a very talented CB next year; a guy playing at the single position our management team has shown a special ability to uncover talent via that draft at.

I can't argue with that at all either. I would, however, like to see what our offense looks like once Parish and Everett get going.

Nice post AKC

I would, however, like to see what our offense looks like once Parish and Everett get going.

Nice post AKC

455696[/snapback]

I don't know about the additions of another speed WR and a rookie TE, it seems offensively a veteran blocking TE might be more impactive. JP looks to me like he's too scared to go through his reads and he's locking on to a target every play. That will take time to correct, both time on the field and time behind the line. Next week I'd expect him to improve if he can stay in the pocket; the Saints bring pressure from their DEs and using corner blitzes- the interior guys shouldn't get a push on us. If JP can stay disciplined in the pocket he should have his best pro outing against the third most generous D in the league at giving up points.

I don't know about the additions of another speed WR and a rookie TE, it seems offensively a veteran blocking TE might be more impactive. JP looks to me like he's too scared to go through his reads and he's locking on to a target every play. That will take time to correct, both time on the field and time behind the line. Next week I'd expect him to improve if he can stay in the pocket; the Saints bring pressure from their DEs and using corner blitzes- the interior guys shouldn't get a push on us. If JP can stay disciplined in the pocket he should have his best pro outing against the third most generous D in the league at giving up points.

455731[/snapback]

I guess what I was getting at there is a slot WR with speed and a TE that can exploit creases in zone coverage and actually beat Lb's it may open up the outside a little bit, although in Everett's case he would obviously need to be able to block as well.

I guess what I was getting at there is a slot WR with speed and a TE that can exploit creases in zone coverage and actually beat Lb's it may open up the outside a little bit, although in Everett's case he would obviously need to be able to block as well.

455746[/snapback]

JP would still have to be able to see them, however. Right now, it seems like he's looking more at the pass rush than down field.

455746[/snapback]

When I think of the examples where that's been an effective contemporary strategy I think of the Vermiel/Martz models. The thing about those is they built pass blocking OLines, whereas we've gone in the exact opposite direction, in fact letting our best pass blocker leave in FA. Maybe we're suffering a bit of an identity crisis in this, or perhaps I'm overlooking somebody with modern success predicated on power running and blazing speed at the 2 and 3 spot. Got anybody in mind?

When I think of the examples where that's been an effective contemporary strategy I think of the Vermiel/Martz models. The thing about those is they built pass blocking OLines, whereas we've gone in the exact opposite direction, in fact letting our best pass blocker leave in FA. Maybe we're suffering a bit of an identity crisis in this, or perhaps I'm overlooking somebody with modern success predicated on power running and blazing speed at the 2 and 3 spot. Got anybody in mind?

455782[/snapback]

Not really in the current landscape, but I do recall a high degree of success with a former Buffalo team :devil: not that I'm comparing. Although the chiefs are certainly built for power running if and when they choose to implore it...

LOT has not been the problem over the past two games.

455799[/snapback]

No doubt, my reference was simply to the type of blocker the team sees fitting our offense, and clearly they've chosen beer run blocking linemen in Free Agency while allowing the run-blocking challenged JJennings to move on.

No doubt, my reference was simply to the type of blocker the team sees fitting our offense, and clearly they've chosen beer run blocking linemen in Free Agency while allowing the run-blocking challenged JJennings to move on.

455867[/snapback]

I'd look at it as more of a budget / who's available decision. No affordable pass pro guys vs. a few bargain run guys like Bennie Anderson. Of course, the old addage about getting what you paid for comes to mind...

THANK YOU for pointing out the real problem with yesterday's game (and perhaps the Bucs game) - our coaches' lack of halftime adjustments. These coaches will not last long in this league if they continue to fail to make the proper adjustments - that is what separates great coaches from all others. Not only did Gray continue to blitz Vick up the middle, he also did little to keep his blitzers from ending up BEHIND Vick. Once you get behind Vick, you are out of the play - done, and your defense has 1 less player defending the play. I yelled about it all day.

The problem was NOT the o-line, contrary to what many people here seem to stubbornly insist. Other than a couple of horrid plays by Teague, the line did more than enough to win the game yesterday. Any time you run for that much yardage, you are playing physical enough to win. It was not the line's fault that they failed to convert that 4th down - it was a dumb call (same exact play as earlier, and shoulda gone to Willis, who I suspect would have made a guy or two miss and taken it all the way to the hosue), and JP slipped and fell.

THANK YOU for pointing out the real problem with yesterday's game (and perhaps the Bucs game) - our coaches' lack of halftime adjustments.  These coaches will not last long in this league if they continue to fail to make the proper adjustments - that is what separates great coaches from all others.  Not only did Gray continue to blitz Vick up the middle, he also did little to keep his blitzers from ending up BEHIND Vick.  Once you get behind Vick, you are out of the play - done, and your defense has 1 less player defending the play.  I yelled about it all day.

The problem was NOT the o-line, contrary to what many people here seem to stubbornly insist.  Other than a couple of horrid plays by Teague, the line did more than enough to win the game yesterday.  Any time you run for that much yardage, you are playing physical enough to win.  It was not the line's fault that they failed to convert that 4th down - it was a dumb call (same exact play as earlier, and shoulda gone to Willis, who I suspect would have made a guy or two miss and taken it all the way to the hosue), and JP slipped and fell.

455923[/snapback]

That's just the thing that bugs me most though because last year, on both sides of the ball with multiple games to use as examples, they DID make some really nice adjustments scheme-wise to take advantage of the opposition or atleast to prevent the areas they were getting attacked in.

That's just the thing that bugs me most though because last year, on both sides of the ball with multiple games to use as examples, they DID make some really nice adjustments scheme-wise to take advantage of the opposition or atleast to prevent the areas they were getting attacked in.

456143[/snapback]

Could be it's just better opposing teams, better coaching staffs the last two weeks. I'm pretty impressed with Mora the Younger in what I've seen so far. Chuckie's, well...Chuckie.

We sat on our thumbs, apparently looking for some way to overpay a very talented CB next year; a guy playing at the single position our management team has shown a special ability to uncover talent via that draft at.

455654[/snapback]

I disagree with most of what you said, but since I'm tired of arguing...

I just wanted to say that this excerpt is remarkably accurate.

Seriously, do we have separate scouts for each position? And if so, can we give the CB scout a raise and fire everyone else?

But even outside of the roster we’re fielding, the coaches are failing at their sideline jobs too. Just some decent coaching in the past two games might very well have led us to a 2-1 start. Problem is, we’re 1-2. After we’ve seen Priest, LaDanian, Rickey and Rudi plus Corey and Curtis a couple times we’ll all get to see if the trend of playing our Bill’s continues to bounce running backs up the  Yards Gained board.

A word to the wise- don’t bet against it.

455654[/snapback]

Well said. What you mentioned is right on the mark.

THANK YOU for pointing out the real problem with yesterday's game (and perhaps the Bucs game) - our coaches' lack of halftime adjustments.  These coaches will not last long in this league if they continue to fail to make the proper adjustments - that is what separates great coaches from all others.  Not only did Gray continue to blitz Vick up the middle, he also did little to keep his blitzers from ending up BEHIND Vick.  Once you get behind Vick, you are out of the play - done, and your defense has 1 less player defending the play.  I yelled about it all day.

The problem was NOT the o-line, contrary to what many people here seem to stubbornly insist.  Other than a couple of horrid plays by Teague, the line did more than enough to win the game yesterday.  Any time you run for that much yardage, you are playing physical enough to win.  It was not the line's fault that they failed to convert that 4th down - it was a dumb call (same exact play as earlier, and shoulda gone to Willis, who I suspect would have made a guy or two miss and taken it all the way to the hosue), and JP slipped and fell.

455923[/snapback]

I strongly disagree with you about the OL. The OL blocking was below average the entire game. JP didn't have very much time to throw and when he did, as he put it- was hesitant. I think he was hesitant because he was thinking he was going to get hit. The quarterback sneak was not the greatest of calls but to pick up a yard you've got to get the push against that DL

I disagree with most of what you said, but since I'm tired of arguing...

I just wanted to say that this excerpt is remarkably accurate. 

Seriously, do we have separate scouts for each position?  And if so, can we give the CB scout a raise and fire everyone else?

456171[/snapback]

Pro Scouts are typically region-based. We have a personell department of 17 employees, of which probably 8 are assigned to specific regions and the colleges within those regions. The talent at picking low round corner talent is most likely happening at one of the upper levels of the personell department- for instance each scout provides lists of the top players in their region including film they've requested from the school/conference on those players. These players are then vetted by the personell department on a broad scale. Some of the top management like Don Majeski and John Guy oversee compiling their scouts data for TD, but this all includes some amount of "we REALLY like this guy"-

Somewhere in the process someone appears very good at eyeing lower round talent at the corner spot. Who that person or persons might be has never been publicly suggested from any media I've ever read.