Will we ever see Willis on 3rd down this year?

smokinandjokin

I was not expecting Shaud Williams to be the full-time 3rd down back. Have we ever heard an explanation for this? Is it because Willis is not interested in blocking? Doesn't catch well? I don't know, Willis can be the most dangerous player on offense. Just the threat of him in the backfield seems like a good enough reason to have him in there. Does anyone know why he comes out every 3rd down? Was this ever mentioned during the preseason as an offensive plan?

Mularkey was asked about it after the game. He said they take McGahee out on 3rd down to give him a rest, since most of the time they were going to pass, and the runner would just be blocking. I'm getting real tired of how the players today have to take a rest after a few plays. It used to be that players played every down unless they got hurt. Leaving McGahee out there would give another option that the defense had to worry about.

Mularkey was asked about it after the game.  He said they take McGahee out on 3rd down to give him a rest, since most of the time they were going to pass, and the runner would just be blocking.  I'm getting real tired of how the players today have to take a rest after a few plays.  It used to be that players played every down unless they got hurt.  Leaving McGahee out there would give another option that the defense had to worry about.

455190[/snapback]

Well that makes sense. Other teams won't pick up on that trend. :(

I agree with those that say he should be out there. I understand the value of "packages" but I don't think that Shaud offers anything that Willis does not. It's hard to tell if he is any better at blitz pickup than Willis but I doubt he is. Willis needs to be in there unless he's coming off a long run or something.

Mularkey was asked about it after the game.  He said they take McGahee out on 3rd down to give him a rest, since most of the time they were going to pass, and the runner would just be blocking.  I'm getting real tired of how the players today have to take a rest after a few plays.  It used to be that players played every down unless they got hurt.  Leaving McGahee out there would give another option that the defense had to worry about.

455190[/snapback]

Geez then why have Willis out there on first down then, since we pass most of the time then as well. :(

I was not expecting Shaud Williams to be the full-time 3rd down back.  Have we ever heard an explanation for this?  Is it because Willis is not interested in blocking?  Doesn't catch well?  I don't know, Willis can be the most dangerous player on offense.  Just the threat of him in the backfield seems like a good enough reason to have him in there.  Does anyone know why he comes out every 3rd down?  Was this ever mentioned during the preseason as an offensive plan?

455168[/snapback]

because the coaches are really stupid.

it could be that Shaud runs the screen pass better, but we will never know because the coaches never call it.

maybe a draw on 3rd down ??

oh wait- that's a running play and Willis is on the bench.

I have been wondering this myself. I can't find a way to look at this so it makes sense. Even from a blocking standpoint, isn't the 230 lb Willis a better option over the smallish Shaud?

MM needs to give a better explanation for this other than "Willis needs a rest." From every strategic standpoint, it seems better to have WM in there (running, receiving, blocking, decoy, etc.) I just don't get it. Perhaps that's an underlying reason for our poor conversion % on 3rd down (along with having a first-year QB). I don't think there are any RB's in the NFL who want to come off the field at all, unless they just finished a 50-yard jaunt.