Vick is a mediocre passer

Kelly the Dog

He also won this game because he is a very good and maybe great quarterback. Another in an endless series of reasons why stats are way overrated. The guy made 15 plays in this game and was the single most important player in the game. Virtually any other QB for the Falcons, including Brady and Manning, and the Bills probably win this game. How many times did the Bills have him contained on 3rd down and he single-handedly made a first a down to keep a drive alive? How many times did his simple elusiveness and athleticism make the play that allowed for a TE or a WR to be wide open or a drive to be continued? Michael Vick was by far the MVP this game. And he makes it a lot easier for the RBs to run wild, too.

He also won this game because he is a very good and maybe great quarterback. Another in an endless series of reasons why stats are way overrated. The guy made 15 plays in this game and was the single most important player in the game. Virtually any other QB for the Falcons, including Brady and Manning, and the Bills probably win this game. How many times did the Bills have him contained on 3rd down and he single-handedly made a first a down to keep a drive alive? How many times did his simple elusiveness and athleticism make the play that allowed for a TE or a WR to be wide open or a drive to be continued? Michael Vick was by far the MVP this game. And he makes it a lot easier for the RBs to run wild, too.

454501[/snapback]

He has horrible games against top quality defenses. We don't have one now or ever did, I'm afraid.

The age of the defense is showing. Time to dump them all and start fresh.

Well you're nuts if you don't think ATL wins that game with Brady or Manning....

But yeah, I became less of an anti-Vick guy and more of a "stats are overrated" guy after today's game. His numbers won't look great in the newspaper, but he clearly helped his team win the football game.

454501[/snapback]

If Jerry Gray stops all out blitzing Vick on 3rd downs and makes him pass to beat us this game might have turned out differently. They played right into Atlanta's strength by blitzing the way they did.

Well you're nuts if you don't think ATL wins that game with Brady or Manning....

But yeah, I became less of an anti-Vick guy and more of a "stats are overrated" guy after today's game.  His numbers won't look great in the newspaper, but he clearly helped his team win the football game.

454534[/snapback]

I don't know about that. Don't think about whether or not they are great quarterbacks. They are. Think of the actual plays and circumstances in this game. The Bills had an excellent rush most of the game. There were not receivers wide open all over the field, in fact, just the opposite. The Bills defense forced a lot of third and longs or second and longs, covered the receivers and the only way to combat or beat that is to scramble and run the way Vick does. Even a guy like Culpepper or McNair, who are pretty good runners, may not have been able to make those plays. The passing plays we were beat on were almost all Vick plays: Roll outs, reverse roll outs, scrambles. I stand by that opinion, although realizing it is just an opinion and there is no way of knowing for sure.

If Jerry Gray stops all out blitzing Vick on 3rd downs and makes him pass to beat us this game might have turned out differently.  They played right into Atlanta's strength by blitzing the way they did.

454541[/snapback]

I was pissed about that all game. I mean how many times did we give Vick natural running lanes by coming in uncontrolled on the blitz? I understand JG likes to play an attacking defense, but today we would have been much better off using some of those blitzers as spies.

454501[/snapback]

Agreed- look at his third downs if you want to know how he played- he was excellent

What else do you do? Do you really think that a guy not blitzing that is just shadowing Vick is going to tackle him one on one when he breaks through the pocket? He's probably as good or better than any RB in the league at running by, around, through, or juking an LB in the open field. We had chances, we just didn't make the plays and he did. That's why he is a great player and I don't understand why a lot of fans cannot see that. We may have over-pursued a little, and maybe went a little too hard on him at times, but he just seemed to make the exact move when he needed to, and we didn't make the tackle when we needed to, even when we were in position to.

What else do you do? Do you really think that a guy not blitzing that is just shadowing Vick is going to tackle him one on one when he breaks through the pocket? He's probably as good or better than any RB in the league at running by, around, through, or juking an LB in the open field. We had chances, we just didn't make the plays and he did. That's why he is a great player and I don't understand why a lot of fans cannot see that. We may have over-pursued a little, and maybe went a little too hard on him at times, but he just seemed to make the exact move when he needed to, and we didn't make the tackle when we needed to, even when we were in position to.

454552[/snapback]

You drop back and play zone against them on 3rd and long. Rush 4, maybe even 3, making sure they stay in their lanes. If Vick takes off you have a much better shot at containing him with this D than you do with 6+ rushers running up-field. In the later scenario all Vick has to do is get by the initial rush and the first down is pretty much guaranteed (as we saw). I don't blame JG for trying something different against Vick, but once he saw it wasn't working he should have taken the more conventional approach.

You drop back and play zone against them on 3rd and long.  Rush 4, maybe even 3, making sure they stay in their lanes.  If Vick takes off you have a much better shot at containing him with this D than you do with 6+ rushers running up-field.  In the later scenario all Vick has to do is get by the initial rush and the first down is pretty much guaranteed (as we saw).  I don't blame JG for trying something different against Vick, but once he saw it wasn't working he should have taken the more conventional approach.

454559[/snapback]

I contend that every time there was a guy or even two in front of him he juked them or out ran them or was able to get just as many yards as he needed to anyway. It wasn't only or even mostly when we rushed past him and he stepped up into the pocket and found it wide open.

454552[/snapback]

I'm not sure if that LB would make the tackle on Vick, like you said he is one of the most elusive players in the league. But I'm positive that a player being blocked with all of his momentum going forward has zero chance of tackling him. I just think we played to his strengths today by forcing the issue and making the plays breakdown.

JG was emphatic about playing more aggressive on defense after last week. Perhaps last week was a good time to play that role, but this week it sure didn’t appear to be.

did losman at any time today attempt a pass15-20 yards in the middle of the field - it seemed as if the passes were going to the 5-10 yard flats or the loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong fades - what happened to attacking the middle of the field? - also, the play calling was lacking a certain creative edge we saw last year or even in the preseason - what are your thoughts?

I'm not sure if that LB would make the tackle on Vick, like you said he is one of the most elusive players in the league. But I'm positive that a player being blocked with all of his momentum going forward has zero chance of tackling him. I just think we played to his strengths today by forcing the issue and making the plays breakdown. 

JG was emphatic about playing more aggressive on defense after last week. Perhaps last week was a good time to play that role, but this week it sure didn’t appear to be.

454568[/snapback]

The one play he killed us on, the play before the Duckett TD, he was contained and he went by or around five defenders.

The one play he killed us on, the play before the Duckett TD, he was contained and he went by or around five defenders.

454576[/snapback]

He's going to get his, that’s why he's so incredible to watch. But with any great player you just hope to limit how effective they are the best you can.

454501[/snapback]

This just in: the Facons are a pretty good team that went to the NFC championship game last year. The majority of the posters here tonight seem to be lumping them in with the chump change of the NFL for some reason.

This just in:  the Facons are a pretty good team that went to the NFC championship game last year.  The majority of the posters here tonight seem to be lumping them in with the chump change of the NFL for some reason.

454598[/snapback]

The NFC sucks theory is carrying over from last year. In the meantime we might just have played the two teams that seem the most viable contenders to the Eagles at this point.

did losman at any time today attempt a pass15-20 yards in the middle of the field - it seemed as if the passes were going to the 5-10 yard flats or the loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong fades - what happened to attacking the middle of the field? - also, the play calling was lacking a certain creative edge we saw last year or even in the preseason - what are your thoughts?

454574[/snapback]

Need Roscoe and Everett. A slot receiver and an athletic TE to expose the middle.

Vick passed better and more accurratly then I have probably ever seen him yesterday. That said though, Dunn and Duckett really won that game for Atlanta. They were lights out burning our d all day. Vick wasn;t great yesterday, but he was efficient, and with those backs are a solid offense.

454501[/snapback]

I disagree. Look at the RB stats. Atlanta's zone blocking dominated our front seven on virtually every play we didn't house blitz. It was terrifying to watch.