F McNally..... Our OL Blows!

Tom

Maybe we should lock Gandy, Teague and Jerman into long term contracts and build the team around this solid foundation.

454508[/snapback]

It's all relative I guess.

I'm not saying they played 'NFL OL' good.

But I think they played 'Buffalo Bills OL' servicable. It's not going to get much better with this group, and I didn't think they played any worse than they did vs. Houston.

We lost this game at QB and on defense.

WTF!    :P

Don't blame him.  He did his best with what he was given.  TD deserves all the blame for this and coach too for not realizing this line couldn't block last year.  An overhaul was needed.  Why should Willis kill his career and sacrifice his body for 3 painful yards each and every carry?

454510[/snapback]

Willis is averaging 4.7 yards a carry this year (62-291), without any long runs to distort it. That's an excellent average. Try again.

It's all relative I guess.

I'm not saying they played 'NFL OL' good. 

But I think they played 'Buffalo Bills OL' servicable.  It's not going to get much better with this group, and I didn't think they played any worse than they did vs. Houston. 

We lost this game at QB and on defense.

454518[/snapback]

Do you think that Big Ben has FAR more talent than JP? I know that it is an unfair question. I don't pretend to know the answer, but Pitt won a ton of games with this kid because of their splendid, deep OL.

JP can move better than Big Ben, and he can hand off to Willis, a truly gifted RB. That said, there HAS to be a balance. The Bills OL cannot pass block. CV is good; a great run blocker and at least adequate on pass plays. Williams is said to be "improving" after 3 seasons (while making an obscene LT salary), and that is where it ends.

Anderson appears to be plodding, Teague is smallish and not too strong, and Gandy is pedestrian at best; a castoff from a team of losers. They are unable to offer consistent pass protection. Jerman at RT was enough to make a Bills fan weep.

Bills management fails to addresss this problem year after friggin year. It matters little who is head coach or GM. What good is Roscoe Parrish when his qb is laying on his ass, dazed and injured?

JP is in for a rough ride. :P

Willis is averaging 4.7 yards a carry this year (62-291), without any long runs to distort it. That's an excellent average. Try again.

454519[/snapback]

You really can't judge the offense by stats- just about every team can effectively move the ball between the 20's most of the time. Its when the field gets compressed in the red zone, and inside your own 20- that the game tends to change, and how good your OL is will be shown more clearly.

Thats why we held ourselves to fieldgoals against Houston- and today.

You really can't judge the offense by stats- just about every team can effectively move the ball between the 20's most of the time. Its when the field gets compressed in the red zone, and inside your own 20- that the game tends to change, and how good your OL is will be shown more clearly.

454553[/snapback]

Very true. But we ran effectively in two of the three games. Frankly, I think the pass protection was decent today, even with arguably our best OL out. JP had a crappy game, and that I contend is clearly due to inexperience. He just didn't make good decisions or good passes or good plays when he needed to. We could have easily had 25-30 points this game with the blocking we had, and that's enough to be 12-4.

Guest BackInDaDay

454553[/snapback]

JP's having a tough time finding his receivers when they're getting less seperation due to the condensed field position. Not surprising, considering he's having the same problem at mid-field.

I still believe all of our O problems will decrease as JP learns how to make plays.