Blame this on on Mularkey

muddy waters

I don't get it. The Bills were consistently getting positive yardage with the running game, but so often they get a first down and then start with a first down pass. Why?

When the running game is working, and you have a struggling and inexperienced qb, why would they even consider calling a pass on first down and then second down?

The offensive line was making holes for McGahee, and he showed heart and power and speed, so why not use him to control the offense?

I still think Losman will be okay, but isn't the season plan to rely on the defense and running game, and not make hime throw so much?

Frustrating to watch.

I don't get it. The Bills were consistently getting positive yardage with the running game, but so often they get a first down and then start with a first down pass. Why?

When the running game is working, and you have a struggling and inexperienced qb, why would they even consider calling a pass on first down and then second down?

The offensive line was making holes for McGahee, and he showed heart and power and speed, so why not use him to control the offense?

I still think Losman will be okay, but isn't the season plan to rely on the defense and running game, and not make hime throw so much? 

Frustrating to watch.

453482[/snapback]

I've been venting this very same sentiment for the past hour....I don't get it either.....McGahee is our proven star and he was gaining chunks of yards....WTF was Mularkey thinking???

Frustrating to watch.

453482[/snapback]

I understand your frustration, but MaGahee got more carries than I originally thought- he quietly had 15 carries in the 1st half. Until I saw that, I had no idea why Shaud Williams got so many carries.

Our coaches do all the scouting, and game planning, and throwing on 1st down probably was a big part of it. They had a very depleted secondary as well.

Frustrating to watch.

453482[/snapback]

No passing...now THAT'S brilliant. No defense can prepare for that! :doh:

PTR

I understand your frustration, but MaGahee got more carries than I originally thought- he quietly had 15 carries in the 1st half.

453496[/snapback]

25 more in the second half and we win that game

No passing...now THAT'S brilliant.  No defense can prepare for that!  :doh:

PTR

453501[/snapback]

I find it creepy and unnerving that WM averaged 5.19 yards per touch, while the passing game averaged 3.25 yards per attempt.

On the other hand, before we get two excted about WM (27 for 140) remember that the Falcon tandem went 27 for 172, 6.37 yards per carry. Throw in Vick and they went 36 for 236, 6.56 ypc. So I wouldn't rush to proclaim him a difference maker just yet. Good, but no better than the other legit backs around the league. Give him 10 more carries, and another 50 yards - so what? We still lose this one.

453482[/snapback]

Not sure where you're coming from-- we had 35 rushes. I actually thought we needed to get in more 4 wr sets and air it our more. They had 4th stringers playing CB. Yeah, Losman wan't hitting anybody--but every time we threw down field, we were at least getting PI calls.

I think the game plan was fine--Losman just made enough rookie mistakes to lose the game for us.

I find it creepy and unnerving that WM averaged 5.19 yards per touch,  while the passing game averaged 3.25 yards per attempt.

On the other hand,  before we get two excted about WM (27 for 140) remember that the Falcon tandem went 27 for 172,  6.37 yards per carry.  Throw in Vick and they went 36 for 236,  6.56 ypc.  So I wouldn't rush to proclaim him a difference maker just yet.  Good,  but no better than the other legit backs around the league.  Give him 10 more carries, and another 50 yards - so what?  We still lose this one.

453577[/snapback]

Considering That Mcgahee did it by himself and was the only offensive player on the bills who made anything happen, makes it more impressive then the falcons trio. Willis is the truth and if/when we ever get an oline and losman develops or we get a real qb he'll be even better.

Not sure where you're coming from-- we had 35 rushes. I actually thought we needed to get in more 4 wr sets and air it our more. They had 4th stringers playing CB. Yeah, Losman wan't hitting anybody--but every time we threw down field, we were at least getting PI calls.

I think the game plan was fine--Losman just made enough rookie mistakes to lose the game for us.

453586[/snapback]

Why would you want to stick with the pass if it wasn't working? Even with their street scrubs back there we couldn't hit anyone....Willis was running rampant....I don't understand why anyone would want to pass and not make any yards instead of RUN and pick them up in chunks? If Willis gets tired, put Gates in there and let him pound away, then go back to Willis. If our running game wasn't working, then that's different....but it was the only aspect of our team that WAS working!

Why would you want to stick with the pass if it wasn't working? Even with their street scrubs back there we couldn't hit anyone....Willis was running rampant....I don't understand why anyone would want to pass and not make any yards instead of RUN and pick them up in chunks? If Willis gets tired, put Gates in there and let him pound away, then go back to Willis. If our running game wasn't working, then that's different....but it was the only aspect of our team that WAS working!

453600[/snapback]

I just don't know what you wanted--running the ball every single down? There were times in the game when we were in 3rd and long--run then too? I thought we did a lot of running on first and second downs. Losman's going to have to make some throws. And I'm guessing the throws he did make were keeping the defense honest so we could run.

That said, I think one area where we need to run more is in the red zone.

I just don't know what you wanted--running the ball every single down? There were times in the game when we were in 3rd and long--run then too? I thought we did a lot of running on first and second downs. Losman's going to have to make some throws. And I'm guessing the throws he did make were keeping the defense honest so we could run. 

453639[/snapback]

I don't mean this disrespectfully, but did you watch the game??

excellent post

Frustrating to watch.

453482[/snapback]

453639[/snapback]

We had 25 first down plays. 13 were runs and 12 were passing plays. The way we were running that should have been closer to 15-17 running plays on first down.

I don't mean this disrespectfully, but did you watch the game??

453652[/snapback]

Yes he did. Like it or not, there had to be some 3rd and long passing plays that JP had to hit...and didn't. The run-pass mix on play calling wasn't the problem. It was JP missing when he had to make throws.

MM and TC had a much better mix of passing plays called today and it worked in backing the 8-man fronts off to give WM the running lanes he needed. But if they went to a total run offense, we've seen a repeat of last week's TB game with the whole D crouding the line and Willis having nowhere to run.

Nobody likes to hear it but JP's just not executing and the coaches appear to be scrambling to find out what they can and can't do with him yet. Sort of like Carson Palmer during the first half of last year in Cincy.

Yes he did.  Like it or not, there had to be some 3rd and long passing plays that JP had to hit...and didn't.  The run-pass mix on play calling wasn't the problem.  It was JP missing when he had to make throws.

MM and TC had a much better mix of passing plays called today and it worked in backing the 8-man fronts off to give WM the running lanes he needed.  But if they went to a total run offense, we've seen a repeat of last week's TB game with the whole D crouding the line and Willis having nowhere to run.

Nobody likes to hear it but JP's just not executing and the coaches appear to be scrambling to find out what they can and can't do with him yet.  Sort of like Carson Palmer during the first half of last year in Cincy.

453691[/snapback]

We wouldn't have BEEN in 3rd and long if we weren't passing on first and second.....Six carries for Willis in the 4th quarter is way too few when he's running like he was. We CANNOT rely on JP to win games for us yet.....yet until today we ALWAYS win when Willis goes over 100 yards.....why can't you people see this? Willis is the key!

We wouldn't have BEEN in 3rd and long if we weren't passing on first and second.....Six carries for Willis in the 4th quarter is way too few when he's running like he was. We CANNOT rely on JP to win games for us yet.....yet until today we ALWAYS win when Willis goes over 100 yards.....why can't you people see this? Willis is the key!

453706[/snapback]

And there has to be a THREAT of a passing game to keep the D honest. I take it you don't agree.

And there has to be a THREAT of a passing game to keep the D honest.  I take it you don't agree.

453719[/snapback]

Um, JP had like 70 yards lol.....I think it's safe to assume we weren't exactly threatening them with killer passes, yet Willis was still running all over the place.

I dunno....whatever lol.....I guess to me it just makes sense to keep doing something that is working instead of trying to find new ways to fail at something that's not. Call me crazy <_<