Tagliabue: No small markets

PromoTheRobot

Here's a quote from the commish: Although San Antonio is serving as temporary Saints headquarters and will be their home field for three games later this season, NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue told the New Orleans media this week that San Antonio is unlikely to get the Saints on a full-time basis if they are unable to return to New Orleans.

"Ever since we approved the move of the Raiders and the Rams, I've been saying that our goal is to get a team back to L.A., either through expansion or whatever, and we're not going to be moving any teams into small markets," Tagliabue said. "We're going to be moving up in market size, not either down or flat. That's our goal. So that's been my mindset."

http://www.startribune.com/stories/136/5631941.html (half way down)

No matter what kind of fan support or football tradition Buffalo has, there would be ZERO chance of a replacement franchise if the Bills ever left. As sad as it is for Saints fans, I think this may be a blessing for Buffalo if they wound up in L.A.

PTR

Here's a quote from the commish: Although San Antonio is serving as temporary Saints headquarters and will be their home field for three games later this season, NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue told the New Orleans media this week that San Antonio is unlikely to get the Saints on a full-time basis if they are unable to return to New Orleans.

"Ever since we approved the move of the Raiders and the Rams, I've been saying that our goal is to get a team back to L.A., either through expansion or whatever, and we're not going to be moving any teams into small markets," Tagliabue said. "We're going to be moving up in market size, not either down or flat. That's our goal. So that's been my mindset."

No matter what kind of fan support or football tradition Buffalo has, there would be ZERO chance of a replacement franchise if the Bills ever left.  As sad as it is for Saints fans, I think this may be a blessing for Buffalo if they wound up in L.A. 

PTR

452643[/snapback]

You've gotta respect what the commish said. Lets face facts here: the NFL is missing out on tens, if not hundreds of millions of untapped dollars in the LA market. However, i do see the saints, colts, and vikings as potential teams to move well before the bills. Very unfortunate for the saints and their fans as it looks like katrina hammered home another nail. I'd say the only thing that could keep the saints in NO, is the promise of a new, corporate friendly, stadium. new orleans is the NFL's #1 super bowl city, so that alone could keep the saints in NO.

However, i do not see the bills moving to LA before those other mentioned teams.

"We're going to be moving up in market size, not either down or flat.

And you explain awarding a replacement francise to Cleveland.... how?

You look like an a-hole when you try to smack people like RW and small-market teams that are the backbone of NFL tradition but only manage to hit air and fan the stench of the BS that comes out of your mouth. Respectfully, STFU Mr. Tagliabue.

I don't think it's any surprise that the Bills would not be replaced. I never thought it would. We are not Cleveland or Houston in terms of intangibles. Buffalo hopefully has a plan to keep the Bills in town forever and not have to deal with the whole issue.

I'll lose all respect for the NFL if they allow the Saints to move to LA. I realize that they currently have no home stadium, but why can't the other 31 owners chip in and help fund a new one for NO?

And what kind of reassurance was that to the loyal New Orleans fans? Don't worry about your team moving to San Antonio permanently...because it's LA you have to worry about??? :flirt: Way to be compassionate to the hurricane victims, Paulie!

Also, FWIW I've heard of the Vikings, Chiefs, Chargers, Colts, and Cards each as possible franchises to relocate to LA along with the Saints and our Bills. So if the Chiefs are in genuine danger of moving, you've got to think that the Bills are not untouchable :( .