Why does Cattaraugus have a disaster plan?

VABills

and NOLA didn't have one? They have charts, FEMA input, etc.... but they detail that all responsibility is on village, town, city, and county government with some crontrol and responsibility going to state. Nowhere does it say, everything is federal or FEMA responsibility, even in major disasters.

http://www.co.cattaraugus.ny.us/ems/index.asp

http://www.co.cattaraugus.ny.us/ems/CattCo...tPlan_Draft.pdf

and NOLA didn't have one?  They have charts, FEMA input, etc....  but they detail that all responsibility is on village, town, city, and county government with some crontrol and responsibility going to state.  Nowhere does it say, everything is federal or FEMA responsibility, even in major disasters.

450405[/snapback]

Same thing here on the south shore of Long Island. All put onto paper after Hurricane Gloria.

Why isnt the media covering this, really? Because "Bush Bad" sells these days.

and NOLA didn't have one?  They have charts, FEMA input, etc....  but they detail that all responsibility is on village, town, city, and county government with some crontrol and responsibility going to state.  Nowhere does it say, everything is federal or FEMA responsibility, even in major disasters.

450405[/snapback]

La. had a statewide plan and plans for SE and SW La. which is how they decided to split things up.

The plans actually focus at the Parish level and the authority to get things done actually starts with Parish Presidents. Mayors of cities, towns and villages are not granted any or very much emergency power under the plans, those go first to Parish Presidents and even their authority is pretty much just within their Parishes. I don't believe that Nagin for example, is a Parish President. A Parish President I believe under the plans would have the authority to commandeer equipment and vehicles, etc. but I am not sure a mayor could. I don't really understand though whether the city itself was the equivalent of a Parish.

Louisiana Emergency Plans

La. had a statewide plan and plans for SE and SW La. which is how they decided to split things up.

The plans actually focus at the Parish level and the authority to get things done actually starts with Parish Presidents.  Mayors of cities, towns and villages are not granted any or very much emergency power under the plans, those go first to Parish Presidents and even their authority is pretty much just within their Parishes.  I don't believe that Nagin for example, is a Parish President.  A Parish President I believe under the plans would have the authority to commandeer equipment and vehicles, etc. but I am not sure a mayor could.  I don't really understand though whether the city itself was the equivalent of a Parish. 

Louisiana Emergency Plans

450482[/snapback]

Way to miss the point Mickey. The point that the towns, village, cities of a small county like Cattaraugus have plans, responsibilities, etc... for every imaginable disaster spelled out, contact points.etc... and nowhere does it have FEMA responsible for anything other then help in defining the plan, providing charts, graphics. They state it is local, county and state responsibility.

And what does a link to NFl stats have to do with the LA plans.

Way to miss the point Mickey.  The point that the towns, village, cities of a small county like Cattaraugus have plans, responsibilities, etc... for every imaginable disaster spelled out, contact points.etc... and nowhere does it have FEMA responsible for anything other then help in defining the plan, providing charts, graphics.  They state it is local, county and state responsibility.

450504[/snapback]

It shows that JP is rated 24th in the NFL, which is a greater disaster than NOLA's Brooks in the 17th slot.

Read between the lines, man! :D

Way to miss the point Mickey.  The point that the towns, village, cities of a small county like Cattaraugus have plans, responsibilities, etc... for every imaginable disaster spelled out, contact points.etc... and nowhere does it have FEMA responsible for anything other then help in defining the plan, providing charts, graphics.  They state it is local, county and state responsibility.

450504[/snapback]

They do have plans VA but I didn't think you'd bother reading them, you didn't bother looking them to begin with, hence the link to something you would read. :D

If you are really interested though:

Plans and more plans

Each Parish is supposed to have a plan and an EOC, Emergency Operations Center. They divide between risk and host parishes. Parishes in La. are the equivalent of counties here in NY and most states. Their idea was to move people from the risk, ie "wet" parishes to the host, ie "dry" parishes. They even had extensive plans for transportation, command and control and all of that.

If you want to be critical of their execution or the types of plans, fine but don't imply that they had no plan, they did. As it turns out, the water rose faster than their abilities.

By the way, all these plans had to be submitted to the feds for approval. The plan La. had didn't depend on FEMA but it did have provisions for the governor to call them in if needed. The whole reason there is a FEMA is because any idiot knows there are disasters which exceed the ability of the local populace to handle especially since they are the ones being flooded, burned out or shook to death in a quake. The federal response was abyssmal and the local response was just as bad. At least they had an excuse, they were under water.

The disaster was a disaster and the response at multiple levels was a disaster.