MM's calling out players

Peter

Doesn't sound to me like coach M singled anyone out, it was reporters who drew a bead on McGahee.

From within this article:

Mularkey also admitted that he and offensive coordinator Tom Clements have to do a better job of calling plays to establish the run.

Mularkey said his comments about McGahee's play should not be interpreted harshly.

"I've talked to everybody I've felt could've had a better game; that was a lot of players and a lot of coaches," he said. "I wasn't picking on Willis. He was part of it, and I've addressed everybody who was a part of it."

Sounds reasonable enough. But the article headline? "McGahee's play under fire from coach"

Doesn't sound to me like coach M singled anyone out, it was reporters who drew a bead on McGahee.

Mularkey also admitted that he and offensive coordinator Tom Clements have to do a better job of calling plays to establish the run.

Mularkey said his comments about McGahee's play should not be interpreted harshly.

"I've talked to everybody I've felt could've had a better game; that was a lot of players and a lot of coaches," he said. "I wasn't picking on Willis. He was part of it, and I've addressed everybody who was a part of it."

Sounds reasonable enough. But the article headline? "McGahee's play under fire from coach"

450526[/snapback]

Good point. And right under it the subheading, "Mularkey questions running back's hesitation vs. Tampa Bay". And yet when you read the article it is not anything like the implication. Willis admitted he made a couple mistakes, and in the ensuing practice he ran a little quicker to the hole and MM saw it and acknowledged it. Willis is right in saying that he's not going to change his running style overall, and he damn well better not.

MM probably saw one or two more plays than Willis did where he thought Willis should hit the hole harder but that is a matter of opinion and either may be right. And that is why Willis said, "people are entitled to their opinion" and he's absolutely right. I would like to see one of us standing in front of a dozen mics and cameras and having your ability and effort challenged. He answered as he should have, IMO, he admitted he made a couple mistakes and will work harder. he showed in practice that he took it to heart. What the hell more does anyone want?

450526[/snapback]

...and yet people still wonder why most coaches answer questions only in meaningless coach-speak, offering only wonderful platitudes about the players :D