MM's calling out players

Peter

I find it odd that MM would go out of his way to call out Willis. I know that there is some disagreement on this board about Willis' running on Sunday. I frankly believe that he was running for his life. How many tackles did he have to break to just get to the line of scrimmage.

Just for once, I would love for Mularky to call out the inadequate play of the offensive line. It is remarkable that he and the Bills management always seem to coddle the offensive line. When they make critical comments, it is usually about the skill players -- although they seem to be treating JP with kid gloves and giving him more slack than McGahee and Moulds for example.

Willis seems to be biting his tongue. It will be interesting to see what comments MM makes about McGahee after future games.

I just listened to Willis' interview on BuffaloBills.com.

There was a very telling question to Willis by one of the reporters:

"Do you think that MM is singling you out to direct criticism away from someone else?"

This is very interesting given the comments MM made about Willis and did not make about JP.

You guys draw your own conclusions about why MM's approach is different regarding these two players.

"Do you think that MM is singling you out to direct criticism away from someone else?"

This is very interesting given the comments MM made about Willis and did not make about JP.

You guys draw your own conclusions about why MM's approach is different regarding these two players.

450045[/snapback]

He is a racist???? :blink:

He is a racist????  :blink:

450048[/snapback]

Nope. Not at all.

My own view is that they (MM and TD) are going to give JP a lot of slack given that their most significant decision in the off season was to basically give him the starting job even though he did not do anything in a regular season game prior to this year. They have a lot invested in their decision. He layed an egg on Sunday even though the Bucs's game plan was to take away our running game and dare us to pass.

I hope that they are right to do what they did and that JP reaches the potential that a lot of people on this board believe he has. He will continue to have his opportunities to throw the ball if teams follow the Tampa Bay blue print and crowd the line of scrimmage to take away our running game.

Would everyone frickin relax! Two games have been played. A team's true character isn't even evident until midseason. I give credit that MM is not going to sit around and wait for the offense to gel somewhere around game 9 or 10. He just wants results now. He has no more interest in defending the o-line than he does any other position including RB. I think the message to McGahee -- and really the entire team -- is to BE great before TALKING greatness. I think everyone on the team needed to be taken down a peg and MM did it right away before it got out of hand. I like MM. I really think he has his pulse on this squad. Relax and enjoy the game Sunday!

Nope.  Not at all.

My own view is that they (MM and TD) are going to give JP a lot of slack given that their most significant decision in the off season was to basically give him the starting job even though he did not do anything in a regular season game prior to this year.  They have a lot invested in their decision.  He layed an egg on Sunday even though the Bucs's game plan was to take away our running game and dare us to pass. 

I hope that they are right to do what they did and that JP reaches the potential that a lot of people on this board believe he has.  He will continue to have his opportunities to throw the ball if teams follow the Tampa Bay blue print and crowd the line of scrimmage to take away our running game.

450054[/snapback]

As a translation I take it to mean you're saying that they know what Willis is capable of based on his experience last year, and that JP's failures are typical of the "growing pains" you get with a young QB. I think you add to that fact that JP has made it clear that he's angry about his own performance, that he realizes the mistakes he was making, that some of them could have been avoided had he listened to his coaches, leaving Mularkey to add nothing but "you're right JP." :blink:

The thing is, at this abysmal pace, with Willis sluggish and dogging it and not hitting the holes, he'll finish with 1200 yards. And he's not going to have to face the Bucs in 100 degree heat every other week when we have 3 and outs on the majority of series. And the Texans are a middle of the road defense not a totally crappy one.

The thing is, at this abysmal pace, with Willis sluggish and dogging it and not hitting the holes, he'll finish with 1200 yards. And he's not going to have to face the Bucs in 100 degree heat every other week when we have 3 and outs on the majority of series. And the Texans are a middle of the road defense not a totally crappy one.

True. Thankfully that Miami game in week 5 is in Buffalo!

Wow! This post was sooooooo Football ignorant, I just couldn't ignore it.

Have you guys ever played the game?? Do you have any idea how a POWER running game works? You POUND the ball into small creases and PUSH the pile in an effort to FORCE open holes.

Our O-line averages 327 lbs. Our running back is 228 lbs. This team is built to be a POWER running team. Power running teams know that the D is going to stack 8-9 in the box and still gain 2-3 yards per carry on their poor runs.

MM didn't "call out" any of his players in the media. He stated the facts. We're built to be a POWER running team and we're not doing it. Could our O-line do a better job opening holes? Yes and No. If there are 8-9 in the box and only 5 OL and a TE, they have numbers.

That means the holes that do open will be open only for a short time and may only be small creases. Good POWER RUNNING teams find those creases and make positive yards.... even when it looks like there is nothing there. THAT IS THE IDENTITY THIS COACHING STAFF WANTS.

Wow!  This post was sooooooo Football ignorant, I just couldn't ignore it. 

Have you guys ever played the game??  Do you have any idea how a POWER running game works?  You POUND the ball into small creases and PUSH the pile in an effort to FORCE open holes. 

Our O-line averages 327 lbs.  Our running back is 228 lbs.  This team is built to be a POWER running team.  Power running teams know that the D is going to stack 8-9 in the box and still gain 2-3 yards per carry on their poor runs. 

MM didn't "call out" any of his players in the media.  He stated the facts.  We're built to be a POWER running team and we're not doing it.  Could our O-line do a better job opening holes?  Yes and No.  If there are 8-9 in the box and only 5 OL and a TE, they have numbers. 

That means the holes that do open will be open only for a short time and may only be small creases.  Good POWER RUNNING teams find those creases and make positive yards.... even when it looks like there is nothing there.  THAT IS THE IDENTITY THIS COACHING STAFF WANTS.

450235[/snapback]

Just because our line averages 327 doesn't mean they're good enough to employ the power rushing identity. Power rushing teams need a very good offensive line, not neccessarily just a big one. I don't think our line is talented enough to be a consistent power rushing team. This team needs big plays to make it go. I wish we had a mean and nasty line to make the power rush go, but we don't. The pass, run and opportunistic defense is what made us take off in the second half of last season and it's what will eventually be the key to it's success this year.

450045[/snapback]

it's not rocket science, peter -- JP doesn't need to be called out by MM because he called himself out. have you not read or heard JP's quotes? MM calling him out would be nothing more than piling on.

this whole "calling players out" theme for the past two days is much ado about nothing.

450045[/snapback]

You mention a direct question to Willis, but you don't give his response. What did he have to say? I for one believe that he needed a swift kick in the butt after Sunday's game along with Shelton and JP. MM singled out one of the three, and I'm sure he has his reasons. Based on the Times Union article it appears as though the fire may be lit. We'll see come game time.

I find it odd that MM would go out of his way to call out Willis.  I know that there is some disagreement on this board about Willis' running on Sunday.  I frankly believe that he was running for his life.  How many tackles did he have to break to just get to the line of scrimmage.

Just for once, I would love for Mularky to call out the inadequate play of the offensive line.  It is remarkable that he and the Bills management always seem to coddle the offensive line.  When they make critical comments, it is usually about the skill players -- although they seem to be treating JP with kid gloves and giving him more slack than McGahee and Moulds for example.

Willis seems to be biting his tongue.  It will be interesting to see what comments MM makes about McGahee after future games.

450028[/snapback]

Or maybe, just maybe, Willis was running tentatively just like the Bills head coach pointed out twice. Maybe just maybe like a number of people have said here. I also read comments where MM pointed out the OL and JP as having bad games and needing to improve. Heck he pulled JP out of the game. It doesn't get any stronger than that.

MM made comments about the mammoth size of the OL and they should be pushing the DL back.

I believe MM has pretty much called out the whole offense to improve this Sunday and beyond.

I like MM being honest and calling a turd a turd.

it's not rocket science, peter -- JP doesn't need to be called out by MM because he called himself out.  have you not read or heard JP's quotes?  MM calling him out would be nothing more than piling on.

450279[/snapback]

Perhaps if Willis would just own up about having a bad game and running tentatively he wouldn't have been called out. Even after being called Willis had this to say:

Everybody's got their own opinion, I'm not going to worry about it. I'm not going to correct my running style or nothing like that. I'm going to continue what I'm doing.

For once, I'm in agreement with Jerry Sullivan. "Everybody's got their own opinion?" This is your head coach Willis, acting like he's a journalist that wrote a critical piece on you probably isn't the best way to handle it. "I'm going to continue what I'm doing?" I'd imagine you'd continue it on the bench if you ignore Mullarky's instructions. I'm guessing the reason Mullarky is calling WM out is because the guy thinks his sh-- doesn't stink and needs to be brought down a few notches.

I like McGahee a lot. I'm not one to reap a lot of praise on the Bills players if they're not deserving of it, but last year I was blown away by how tough WM ran; how he kept his legs moving after contact and how he initiated contact lots of times with that nasty stiff arm of his (has anybody even seen it this year?). True, he bounced stuff outside last year as well, but not nearly as often as he has this year. Willis thinking he's got his speed back isn't a good thing, particularly considering that he doesn't have the same speed he had at Miami. He was a much more physical runner last year than he ever was at Miami, and it suited the Bills. He needs to get back to that.

Couldn't have said it any better - very succinct.

450283[/snapback]

But I saw some members of the team at McDonald's, and the coach was buying, and he let JP barge in line ahead of Willis, and JP got the last Mickey Mouse toy, leaving Willis with a Goofy toy. JP gave the coach a high five and a "thanks" as he walked by with his Happy Meal, while Willis went around the other side of the counter to avoid the coach entirely....There's trouble a-brewin' I tell ya!

:blink:

Wow!  This post was sooooooo Football ignorant, I just couldn't ignore it. 

Have you guys ever played the game??  Do you have any idea how a POWER running game works?  You POUND the ball into small creases and PUSH the pile in an effort to FORCE open holes. 

Our O-line averages 327 lbs.  Our running back is 228 lbs.  This team is built to be a POWER running team.  Power running teams know that the D is going to stack 8-9 in the box and still gain 2-3 yards per carry on their poor runs. 

MM didn't "call out" any of his players in the media.  He stated the facts.  We're built to be a POWER running team and we're not doing it.  Could our O-line do a better job opening holes?  Yes and No.  If there are 8-9 in the box and only 5 OL and a TE, they have numbers. 

That means the holes that do open will be open only for a short time and may only be small creases.  Good POWER RUNNING teams find those creases and make positive yards.... even when it looks like there is nothing there.  THAT IS THE IDENTITY THIS COACHING STAFF WANTS.

450235[/snapback]

I have played the game. In fact, I was a running back.

Willis was running for his life out there. One of his strengths as a RB is that he does move the pile forward. The guy always seems to know where the first down marker and goal line are and will not be denied.

The guy was trying to make something happen out there. The Bucs defense had its way with our line all day. Part of that was that they were selling out to stop the run. Just like every other team is going to do until the Bills demonstrate that they will make them pay for it by effectively passing the ball.

We failed miserably at this. As a result, Willis had to break tackles just to reach the line of scrimmage.

Not only do I think that MM was wrong on the facts, he also potentially made a long term mistake by "publicly" calling out and trying to embarrass one of his best players. If he really believed what he was saying, MM should have told WM privately or kept it within the team. By spouting off to the media, MM not only looks foolish (at least to me and some others), he risks alienating one of his best players. At the same time, it also looks like he is trying to deflect the heat off of someone else.

I have played the game.  In fact, I was a running back.

Willis was running for his life out there.  One of his strengths as a RB is that he does move the pile forward.  The guy always seems to know where the first down marker and goal line are and will not be denied.

The guy was trying to make something happen out there.  The Bucs defense had its way with our line all day.  Part of that was that they were selling out to stop the run.  Just like every other team is going to do until the Bills demonstrate that they will make them pay for it by effectively passing the ball.

We failed miserably at this.  As a result, Willis had to break tackles just to reach the line of scrimmage.

Not only do I think that MM was wrong on the facts, he also potentially made a long term mistake by "publicly" calling out and trying to embarrass one of his best players.  If he really believed what he was saying, MM should have told WM privately or kept it within the team.  By spouting off to the media, MM not only looks foolish (at least to me and some others), he risks alienating one of his best players.  At the same time, it also looks like he is trying to deflect the heat off of someone else.

450386[/snapback]

Himself and his OC, Kevin Gilbride in a Tom Clements suit.