LOST 02.01 Discussion Thread

PTS

I only have a few minutes now to give some thoughts...more later.

What a great start to the show! You have no idea what the hell is going on? I figured it was a back story, maybe of Sawyer. Then you see the tunnel and the hatch and you realize that it is real time and that its some other guy! Wow!

Seeing Walt was totally freaky...props to those who figured out he was speaking backwards. He is no doubt referring to the EXECUTE key on the keyboard. Did anyone notice that the blinking icon is a unhappy face? ):|

I do believe that the material Desmond was injecting was a vaccine of some sort...or perhaps its a mild sedative to keep him from hearing the voices and going insane?

Locke has def lost it. I believe he couldn't give a rats ass about anyone else at this point, and it totally focused on his own goals. I think he got to this point when Boone bought it.

The miracle with Sarah gave me goosebumps. Obviously, Desmond was in the know some how, which makes you think about how far in advance peoples fates were being predetermined. Think about Locke and how he got there, and now what we know about Jack. Desmond also said that he was training to run around the world...doesn't look like he made it all the way.

My guess is that the underground facility was a research facility of some kind. The equipment in that dome room def dates back to the late mid to late 80's, as do the things in the bedroom.

Danielle had been on the island for 16 years. How does Desmond fit in there. I would guess that Jack and Sarah married, say, two years post accident. And then figure another couple of years for that to end, and then another year or two until the crash? Six years that Desmond has been there. Might be a bit more, though.

Overall...great ep. Very excited about the show being back and how things have gotten started. :blink:

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, I'd forgotten about Ethan, but now that we've seen Desmond, I like the theory of them being bunk mates. Glad that we also know that 108 is the sum of the numbers. I saw the number, but hadnt figured out what they meant. I also realize that I need to get a DVR, which I plan on doing this weekend.

Can anyone post exactly what Walt said to Shannon. I know he said it backwards, but did he say the words backwards, or was the entire thing backards?

A couple of background things I still want to know, Why was hurley (duey) in the psych ward?

As always, more questions than answers.

An all around great episode, really meade me think...can someone tell me how they figured out how walt was speaking backwards? thats a great catch, along with the numbers on the what i think is a vaccine...

At least we know a bit more about jack and sarah (her old fiancee was a real dick), and now Desmond...we get 1 answer about the hatch, and they leave us with 50 more to ponder...brilliant!

I cant wait until next week (we hafta invite BiB to our LOST tailgate next week, guys :blink: )

I cant wait until next week (we hafta invite BiB to our LOST tailgate next week, guys :blink: )

450289[/snapback]

Great party, by the way, I have someone's Kate inflatable doll, anyone want to lay claim to it? Oh, and Duey, I have your Hurley inflatable here too. heh heh.

Great party, by the way, I have someone's Kate inflatable doll, anyone want to lay claim to it? Oh, and Duey, I have your Hurley inflatable here too. heh heh.

450292[/snapback]

I think the Kate is UConn James's...because i brought home my inflatable shannon...

very very nice report, thanks for thinking for me!

I forgot how much I hated when show ends in the heat of the moment. What the hell does it all mean? Who is that dude? What does it have to do with "The Others"? Walt? The hatch mystery for now is answered, but 10 more mysteries are found.

I have decided to use my TBD Blog to recap the clues and details of each episode this season.

Here's the link ... Click Here

I think many of you will find it interesting. You gotta watch these episodes REAL close, especially in the flashbacks.

450025[/snapback]

I think the Kate is UConn James's...because i brought home my inflatable shannon...

450296[/snapback]

How did this get in here? Someone's playing a prank on me! Honestly, It's not mine!

-----

Wow. I don't know what I was expecting for this season, but I was asking myself "How can top that? And will the pressure of success turn this show into crap like so many others?" Definitely a No.

Great observations, guys. And I'm kicking myself for not having some mechanism for recording these b/c I really need to watch something as intricate as this ~3 times before I can start to get into some big thoughts and piece things together.

How might Lenny from the psych ward fit into this now? Was he an inhabitent of the hatch before Desmond, and now that he's off of the drug...? All of the equipment in the computer room --- what the hell was that, it looked like a glass dome --- looked kind of like it was a listening post, and I would bet that his electricity is coming from the cable Sayid found. I would bet that this is where Danielle's loop message is being controlled from. Are "The Others" who took Walt just another group of survivors?

The miracle with Sarah gave me goosebumps.  Obviously, Desmond was in the know some how, which makes you think about how far in advance peoples fates were being predetermined.  Think about Locke and how he got there, and now what we know about Jack.  Desmond also said that he was training to run around the world...doesn't look like he made it all the way.

My guess is that the underground facility was a research facility of some kind.  The equipment in that dome room def dates back to the late mid to late 80's, as do the things in the bedroom.

450242[/snapback]

Well, if the script page on the LOST website is to be believed, there is no reason to believe that the post - op sarah is the same person as the pre-op sarah....or for that matter that the Desmond on the island is the same Desmond from the Stadium, or that pre-crash Locke is the same Locke now or Walt etc....

It's not really a spoiler, but the angle I took is based from a script page (on the LOST website pointed out to us by Mr. Clutch) from the first few minutes of next week's episode...

Here's audio of Walt speaking backwards.

Audio of What Walt Actually Says During The Show

Audio of What Walt Says When You Play It Backwards

450440[/snapback]

Which begs the question: why in the heckfire is he speaking backwards? Are The Others really just a team of mad scientists fed up with getting foiled by Batman, and they shot Walt with the Revers-o Laser? Why would they go to such lengths to get Walt and then release him? Was it a hallucination? A hologram? What use is it if listless Shannon is unable to decipher it (and if she does, that's when the show will have officially jumped the shark).

Also, it would be something to apply this to the whispering that Sayid and Sawyer heard last season....

My guess is that no one else will know about what has been found in the hatch. Even if she deciphers the backwards talk she won't know what to do with it. Even if they leave the hatch to return to the caves, they will NOT tell what was there. It will remain thier little secret. Locke might even kill to keep them from telling what was there.

I watched the show and came away unimpressed.

This was my first time watching the show, and I thought it was one huge gimmick.

Just MO, flame away.

450472[/snapback]

You really need to see last season to even remotely know WTF is going on.

transcript? i dont have speakers here at work. thanks.

450477[/snapback]

Walt on TV: Gibberish

Walt reversed: "Press the button. No button's bad."

See my sig for a blog entry about the episode's mysteries.

Walt on TV: Gibberish

Walt reversed: "Press the button. No button's bad."

See my sig for a blog entry about the episode's mysteries.

450479[/snapback]

I'm using psychology here. Since we knew what to listen for, we heard what we wanted to hear Walt say. However, I'm not 100% sure that is exactly what he said. What else could he be saying?

I was just over at the ocean-air.com site and went to the seating chart again. This may be old news, but I didn't see any posts on it so I thought I'd throw it in.

Lucia -- the girl that Jack meets in the bar before the flight -- now shows up as green on the seating chart. If you click her seat, the plane starts to flash red until the back half of the chart breaks away with a crash and you hear Locke saying "we're not the only ones on the island ..." I also heard a rumor that she was supposed to be involved in this season.

This leads me to believe that the back half did survive -- like the one black lady thought about her husband who was in the bathroom when the plane went down.

Any thoughts?

Also just clicked "Pre-flight boarding" and got an anagram puzzle:

ETHAN ROM -- presumably the full name of the Claire kidnapper?

The anagram came out at OTHER MAN and quickly went into a quick recap of Walt being kidnapped ...