Ahhh... The good old days of $3/gallon

stevestojan

I read in the paper at the weekend about a price comparison between various countires fuel prices...

In the UK we pay approx 95p per litre. In the US you now pay the quivalent of 33p per litre.

YOUR GAS IS ONE THIRD OF THE COST OF GAS IN THE UK. You have the cheapest gas in virtually the entire world.

Can we quit with the complaining now?

I read in the paper at the weekend about a price comparison between various countires fuel prices...

In the UK we pay approx 95p per litre. In the US you now pay the quivalent of 33p per litre.

YOUR GAS IS ONE THIRD OF THE COST OF GAS IN THE UK. You have the cheapest gas in virtually the entire world.

450216[/snapback]

Gas in Kuwait is .68 cents per gallon.

450216[/snapback]

In all fairness, people in the US (and around the world) base many aspects of their lives around economic factors. For example, you say we have the "cheapest gas" in the world. Well, assuming that's true, Americans have no problem driving 30+ miles to work each day. I would assume Americans drive more than anyone in the world, too. If our gas was as expensive as yours in england (which I'm figuring is around $8US/gallon), our lives would be directly affected. If it was that expensive, people would have to greatly change life decisions (well, I would take this job, but it's 30 miles from my house, and I'd have to spend $xxx.xx of dollars a month). These factors aren't openly thought about in everyday life, because the cost of gas is just something people know, but to tell us to stop complaining when we have been used to <$2.00 for our adult lives, and now we're looking at potential of >$5.00... well, sorry, but it concerns me.

In all fairness, people in the US (and around the world) base many aspects of their lives around economic factors. For example, you say we have the "cheapest gas" in the world. Well, assuming that's true, Americans have no problem driving 30+ miles to work each day.  I would assume Americans drive more than anyone in the world, too. If our gas was as expensive as yours in england (which I'm figuring is around $8US/gallon), our lives would be directly affected. If it was that expensive, people would have to greatly change life decisions (well, I would take this job, but it's 30 miles from my house, and I'd have to spend $xxx.xx of dollars a month). These factors aren't openly thought about in everyday life, because the cost of gas is just something people know, but to tell us to stop complaining when we have been used to <$2.00 for our adult lives, and now we're looking at potential of >$5.00... well, sorry, but it concerns me.

450336[/snapback]

That's a very astute set of observations, actually.

Who wrote them for you? :blink:

Also, the fact that many European countries are city-centric. In America, we have to drive places. Add in the fact that a large portion of the price difference is that they tax the $%^& out of petrol.

I know it sounds weird, but as prices keep climbing and wages remain the same (and I can't even imagine how it is for people making minimum wage), I can't afford to work. We are slowly creeping into a society where it's going to be the norm to be working 16 hours a day. And I can't believe that the govt, in the broadest sense of the word, is upset about that.

It may be Jerimiah Johnson time in a few years. Catch me some Griz!

Also, the fact that many European countries are city-centric. In America, we have to drive places. Add in the fact that a large portion of the price difference is that they tax the $%^& out of petrol.

I know it sounds weird, but as prices keep climbing and wages remain the same (and I can't even imagine how it is for people making minimum wage), I can't afford to work. We are slowly creeping into a society where it's going to be the norm to be working 16 hours a day. And I can't believe that the govt, in the broadest sense of the word, is upset about that.

It may be Jerimiah Johnson time in a few years. Catch me some Griz!

450359[/snapback]

funny that they have parking lots for bikes in Holland

Time to initiate the conversion to Hydrogen powered cars NOW! Then fukk em all. Take the entire middle east and shove the oil up they're collective asses (Isreal) too. We've got the economic and technological advantage lets use it to get this done.