Rita

diver

Unfortunately for her it's adminstered by FEMA, and as many here are finding out from Isabel, it only covers damage up to the high water mark, not the mold and other stuff that accompanies the water. 

Also, their adjusters have been lowballing people making it impossible to find contractors willing to do the work for the price.

Some insurance, that.  <_<

449459[/snapback]

It's curious. Where I live, there is occasional Ohio River flooding. A few years ago, there was a big flood in KY. The Feds (other people's money) rebuilt. Then another flood, and the Feds said tough luck, you want to live in an historic flood area, so be it. No dough.

I just don't understand why folks living on costal areas demand that other folks should time and time again have to pay for their lousy geographic choices. They enjoy the nice weather and panoramic views then cry like babies when Mother Nature acts.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't understand why folks living on costal areas demand that other folks should time and time again have to pay for their lousy geographic choices. They enjoy the nice weather and panoramic views then cry like babies when Mother Nature acts.

449529[/snapback]

I think the problem isn't with the people, it's with the government's apparent haphazard operation of their program. If people don't like paying to rebuild flood-prone areas, then they should petition their senators to do away with Federal Flood Insurance.

I think the problem isn't with the people, it's with the government's apparent haphazard operation of their program.  If people don't like paying to rebuild flood-prone areas, then they should petition their senators to do away with Federal Flood Insurance.

449537[/snapback]

The 17th Amendement allowing the election of Senators by the populace instead of appointment by a State's governor was the worst ever IMO. It put the Senate in the realm of currying public favor instead of watching out for their State and not letting the Federal government forget that we were a federation of States. The founders knew well the danger of an over-arching national government, and that there was great danger if the people realized and attained the power to vote themselves money.

So now, many consider the Federal government as their "daddy". Including businesses. Ugh.

The 17th Amendement allowing the election of Senators by the populace instead of appointment by a State's governor was the worst ever IMO. It put the Senate in the realm of currying public favor instead of watching out for their State and not letting the Federal government forget that we were a federation of States. The founders knew well the danger of an over-arching national government, and that there was great danger if the people realized and attained the power to vote themselves money.

So now, many consider the Federal government as their "daddy". Including businesses. Ugh.

449573[/snapback]

Agreed.

Agreed.

449576[/snapback]

Speaking of fundamentals, I made some Kummelweck rolls (they are s a struggle to make - I use the old potatoe starch recipe and they are dynamite) and cooked and sliced up a rump roast for me 'n my sweetie, who I'll pick up at the airport around 8 PM tonight. Actually, I guess I did it for myself - when she's out of town on business, I quickly degenerate to an all-grease diet. <_<

Speaking of fundamentals, I made some Kummelweck rolls (they are s a struggle to make - I use the old potatoe starch recipe and they are dynamite) and cooked and sliced up a rump roast for me 'n my sweetie, who I'll pick up at the airport around 8 PM tonight. Actually, I guess I did it for myself - when she's out of town on business, I quickly degenerate to an all-grease diet. <_<

449619[/snapback]

That sounds good. This past trip up for the Texans game was the first I've made and didn't get any Beef on Weck. I didn't even think about it until your post.

You're picking her up at 8? Dinner at what, 8:30 or 9? Hmm, if I leave now...

That sounds good.  This past trip up for the Texans game was the first I've made and didn't get any Beef on Weck.  I didn't even think about it until your post.

You're picking her up at 8?  Dinner at what, 8:30 or 9?  Hmm, if I leave now...

449640[/snapback]

You would be welcome. I've accomplished little in life, but my beef on weck is as good as it gets!

I also make great Jello. <_<

She was smart enough to get "mold" insurance as well.
I hope it works out as well as this situation possibly could for her
That B word Rita is now a CATEGORY 5!!!
It's a biggun for sure. My in-laws live down there (some are/were in Galveston, the rest are in Houston) so like you we've been keeping a close eye on this one.

Houston, we have a problem.

449696[/snapback]

I'm hoping it steers way south of Corpus Christi - it'd still be tragic for those affected but as you know there are far fewer people down that way.

449573[/snapback]

I believe normally that it was the state legislature making the choice, but the doesn't change the validity of your point with which I agree.

165 MPH max sustained winds. Ouch. Ain't going to be pretty.

449707[/snapback]

It'll weaken before it hits, once it gets farther west and hits cooler water. But as far as I can tell (not very far), there's no shear to weaken it within a few hundred miles, so it's not going to weaken much, particularly not in the next 24 hours.

But judging from the satellite photos, it's moving a little farther north than they expected. Not so far north that it's aiming for New Orleans (it would have to do a 90-degree turn right now to manage that), but if its motion stays consistent it'll probably hit about 75 miles farther north up the Texas coast than their best guess right now.

It'll weaken before it hits, once it gets farther west and hits cooler water.  But as far as I can tell (not very far), there's no shear to weaken it within a few hundred miles, so it's not going to weaken much, particularly not in the next 24 hours.

But judging from the satellite photos, it's moving a little farther north than they expected.  Not so far north that it's aiming for New Orleans (it would have to do a 90-degree turn right now to manage that), but if its motion stays consistent it'll probably hit about 75 miles farther north up the Texas coast than their best guess right now.

449724[/snapback]

Galveston and up the ship channel to Houston...if it goes 75 miles further north on the coast...

3 day cone

I lived in the area around the Astrodome, south of the Med Center in Houston 20 years ago--back then a serious thunderstorm would cause street flooding....

Now ya' know, Jello was invented in my (for all intents and purposes) hometown of Le Roy, so please, do not disrespect the gelatinous goodness of Jello.

<_<

449718[/snapback]

The Food Channel had a feature on Jello and Le Roy. I never buy the Jell-O brand, though, since they left town. Tis' Royal or store brands for me. I don't buy Life Savers these days since they moved to Canada.

My poor wife...when we grocery shop, she asks me what additional manufacturers I am boycotting. :lol:

She was smart enough to get "mold" insurance as well.

That B word Rita is now a CATEGORY 5!!!

Houston, we have a problem.

449696[/snapback]

Stupid !@#$ing media.

Yes, it's a category 5...and the media's reporting 165 kt winds. Except that those are flight-level winds. The surface wind estimate is actually 145 kt, gusting to 175 kt.

Which is nothing to sneeze at, obviously (the difference between 155mph and 181mph, in practical terms, is negligable to anyone caught in it). But way to report accurately and not cave to alarmism, media. <_<

Central pressure's down to 914, too...stronger than Andrew, and into Katrina territory.