What do you know more about than anyone here?

JoeF

I did that for 18 months. I bet I know just about as much as you do. I finally quit for good three years ago.

Computers here. Followed by aquariums.

450002[/snapback]

Computers? Gutsy assumption...while you may know a lot about computers, the title of the topic is "What do you know more about than anyone here", and there's a HELL of a lot of computer expertise on this board. I was playing with COBOL mainframes when I was seven, and I wouldn't even presume I know more about computers than everyone else here.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Computers?  Gutsy assumption...while you may know a lot about computers, the title of the topic is "What do you know more about than anyone here", and there's a HELL of a lot of computer expertise on this board.  I was playing with COBOL mainframes when I was seven, and I wouldn't even presume I know more about computers than everyone else here.

450012[/snapback]

360 mod 40 here. Learned assembler really before cobol.

Computers?  Gutsy assumption...while you may know a lot about computers, the title of the topic is "What do you know more about than anyone here", and there's a HELL of a lot of computer expertise on this board.  I was playing with COBOL mainframes when I was seven, and I wouldn't even presume I know more about computers than everyone else here.

450012[/snapback]

:blink:

Ok, well then, how about...

"While I'm sure I don't know more than everyone else on this forum - I wouldn't want to insult any egos - I am fairly confident I'm in the top decile with respect to computer knowledge. Probably higher in certain disciplines, but certainly lower in others. For instance, my skills with respect to VMS systems are lacking, while my knowledge of C is quite high."

I honestly don't understand this egotistical knowledge war computer professionals get wrapped up in. I'm personally honored when I get the chance to work with guys that know more than me.

You know the war I'm referring too, where "Trash 80" is mentioned along with "Logo" and "Assembler in middle school."

-Jeff

:blink:

Ok, well then, how about...

"While I'm sure I don't know more than everyone else on this forum -  I wouldn't want to insult any egos -  I am fairly confident I'm in the top decile with respect to computer knowledge.  Probably higher in certain disciplines, but certainly lower in others. For instance, my skills with respect to VMS systems are lacking, while my knowledge of C is quite high."

I honestly don't understand this egotistical knowledge war computer professionals get wrapped up in. I'm personally honored when I get the chance to work with guys that know more than me. 

-Jeff

450024[/snapback]

Me too, but it never seems to happen. :)

I honestly don't understand this egotistical knowledge war computer professionals get wrapped up in.  I'm personally honored when I get the chance to work with guys that know more than me.  

LOL!! That does tend to happen with computer geeks more than others. As for me, I'm very comfortable being the second most knowledgeable (at least as far as I know) CFO on the board. That other guy invented that internet search engine for Sue in his spare time. I can't compete with that. :blink:

LOL!!  That does tend to happen with computer geeks more than others.  As for me, I'm very comfortable being the second most knowledgeable (at least as far as I know) CFO on the board.  That other guy invented that internet search engine for Sue in his spare time.  I can't compete with that.  :blink:

450030[/snapback]

Scott didn't invent this board he is just the owner and admin.

LOL!!   That does tend to happen with computer geeks more than others.  As for me, I'm very comfortable being the second most knowledgeable (at least as far as I know) CFO on the board.   That other guy invented that internet search engine for Sue in his spare time.  I can't compete with that.   :blink:

450030[/snapback]

See? It happens a lot. I'm fully confident in what I do and I know I do it well. No, I don't want to spend 45 minutes a day discussing the details of some obscure ancient technology when that discussion does nothing other than solidify the technical pecking order amongst the computer folk.

With other groups it appears to be more of a collaboration. With techies, it appears to be a battle of wits in which "there can be only one."

That does it. I need to go into management. :)

See? It happens a lot. I'm fully confident in what I do and I know I do it well.  No, I don't want to spend 45 minutes a day discussing the details of some obscure ancient technology when that discussion does nothing other than solidify the technical pecking order amongst the computer folk.

With other groups it appears to be more of a collaboration.  With techies, it appears to be a battle of wits in which "there can be only one."

That does it. I need to go into management.  :)

450044[/snapback]

Been there, it sucks. You won't like it. Too many techies complaining about stupid sh-- and pecking order and not getting their job done cause only the smartest guy knows it all and does it all. :blink::(

Been there, it sucks.  You won't like it.  Too many techies complaining about stupid sh-- and pecking order and not getting their job done cause only the smartest guy knows it all and does it all.  :blink:  :)

450050[/snapback]

Right right, and then the "not so smart" guys are complaining that the "smart guy" doesn't spend enough time mentoring, right? The smart guy, of course, doesn't want to mentor because he doesn't have the time. He doesn't have the time because he won't help the other guys. In reality, he doesn't want to help the other guys because they would then pose a challenge.

Yeah, I managed a group of 'em for a while, then we reorganized.

-Jeff

I think it went over his head.  :)

450063[/snapback]

Well this is where Sue came to get homework help. We did send her to google, but she still kept coming back here, because google was too hard to use. I mean why pay 2 cents if it's too hard. I mean I would rely on info I got from BF, Bhamrami, kelly the retarded dog and CTM. :blink:

Right right, and then the "not so smart" guys are complaining that the "smart guy" doesn't spend enough time mentoring, right?  The smart guy, of course, doesn't want to mentor because he doesn't have the time.  He doesn't have the time because he won't help the other guys.  In reality, he doesn't want to help the other guys because they would then pose a challenge.

Yeah, I managed a group of 'em for a while, then we reorganized.

-Jeff

450055[/snapback]

I think you must've been working with the wrong techies... Or I've been working with the good ones. :blink:

Where I work, we all share knowledge pretty freely (well, with my previous coworkers anyway; too soon to tell with the two new ones...). Then again, I've pretty much always been the senior guy and I'm definately of the mindset that I don't want to be a single point of failure (aka: single point of contact at 3am). Maybe I'm the one who's in the minority...? *shrug*

Anyway, I think I'm up there on the computer chart as well, but there's no such thing as "computer master." Everyone has their own disiplines. I know Solaris, HP-UX, OpenBSD very well, but my C is slipping quite a bit (lack of use). The most important thing to know in IT (IMHO) is how to find the information you need, not necessarily knowing how to do everything off the top of your head.

CW