performance of B. Moorman

tornado681

yeah he definitely hasn't had the best two games. no excuses either. nice weather both days and everything. i'm sure he'll do better in the upcoming games.

447367[/snapback]

Moorman has been terrible. Who would have thought Lindell would be more reliable so far this year?

I think it has to do with Dorenbos.

447484[/snapback]

Fuggin magician! His leaving fixed the kicker and screwed the punter? He was sneaky good.

Moorman has been awful, booming kicks into the end zone or dinking 15 yarders that are fair caught at the 25. We need all the field position we can get, hope he's back on track this week.

he had some very long punts. but he doesnt have the touch to drop it at the 5 yard line.  :doh:

i saw 1 punt go very short, but all the others were very deep.

447538[/snapback]

We got spoiled over the past couple years. Last year it would have been our special teamers catching the punt at the one yard line. He's just been a little off.

I don't think he's been so off that it's a problem. But even Coach Mularky has noted the problem and said Brian is aware that he needs to get more consistent.

He'll turn it around. It would be nice if a couple of the boomed punts near the endzone could have been caught by one of our guys, but that's the way the ball bounces.

IIRC he's had one shank, one short-ish and the rest have been loooong and accurate.

I don't think he's been so off that it's a problem. But even Coach Mularky has noted the problem and said Brian is aware that he needs to get more consistent.

He'll turn it around. It would be nice if a couple of the boomed punts near the endzone could have been caught by one of our guys, but that's the way the ball bounces.

IIRC he's had one shank, one short-ish and the rest have been loooong and accurate.

447550[/snapback]

accurate - if his target was the end zone :doh:

We obviously lost the field postition battle in Tampa Bay, and the punting was a big reason why. The Bucs punter had severeal GREAT kicks, pinning us deeep -- and one lead directly to the safety. Brian didn't have any touch. Everything was way too long, everything but that one terribley short kick.

We need much better out of Moorman if we're going to compete this year. I agree, he has been a shocking dissappointment so far this year. I guess he spoiled us the past two seasons.

OK, just checked his stats so far this year:

Brian Moorman: # of punts: 12

average: 42.3

net: 31.0

Touchbacks: 4

inside the 20: 1

long: 60

That net is awful. It should be closer to 40...especially considering the ideal conditions hes been punting in so far. Only 1 inside the 20 so far? Come Moorman, you can do better than that.

I think it has to do with Dorenbos.

447484[/snapback]

Glad you mentioned that, because I've been thinking the same thing. While Schneck's snaps might be more accurate (leading to better consistency from Lindell), I'm guessing Moorman isn't getting the ball as quickly as he used to with JD - remember how they used to make such a big deal about how Jon could snap the ball faster than anyone in the league?

More elapsed time on the snap equals more time for the rushers to get closer to Brian. Think he's feeling the heat and trying to rush his kicks? Maybe... just maybe.

But hey, that's just my opinion....

Glad you mentioned that, because I've been thinking the same thing. While Schneck's snaps might be more accurate (leading to better consistency from Lindell), I'm guessing Moorman isn't getting the ball as quickly as he used to with JD - remember how they used to make such a big deal about how Jon could snap the ball faster than anyone in the league?

More elapsed time on the snap equals more time for the rushers to get closer to Brian. Think he's feeling the heat and trying to rush his kicks? Maybe... just maybe.

448873[/snapback]

Maybe, but I just don't see it. I haven't watched the games again but I don't recall him having much pressure on him at all. In fact, on one of his crappy punts he seemed to not have any rush. I also have been watching Schneck and the snaps have been rather perfect, right on the numbers and Moorman has barely had to move. And not anything like Preston's I saw earlier which were noticeably slower. Moorman did boom one of his 60 yarders in the air but he just missed a couple that he normally doesn't. I chalk it up to the one game a year when virtually everything goes wrong. When Josh Reed and Rian Lindell are your only productive players and everyone else makes mistakes, it's "just one of those days".

Thanks for the input, KTD - and odds are you're right and I'm just overthinking this. (Boring night at work, plenty of time for the mind to wander.) He did have the one shank in the Houston game, but the rest were decent kicks....

448873[/snapback]

If I may, I'd like to contribute to a football related thread (my last contribution was in the fall of 1999)...bless me father

I think you and JSP may be onto something here...Friday night during the UTEP vs Houston game, UTEP blocked a punt. After the play ESPN shows pregame footage of the UTEP special teams coach timing the center to punter snaps with a stop watch. Then they quote the coach saying something to the effect of: If the ball doesn't reach the punter between x amount and x amount of seconds we will block it.

Kinda funny since JD played his college ball at UTEP.

As an aside, Ronnie Jones also coached special teams at UTEP, so what do I know ?