Defense was NOT the problem

PJBrown

You can't expect the D to hold up when they are on the field 2/3 of the game.

446563[/snapback]

If the defense had been able to STOP either the Bucs run or pass, they would not have been on the field so long!

If you keep allowing new 1st downs, you will be out there all day!

446563[/snapback]

That's easy to fix, stop giving up 1st downs and get off the field. I don't get why posters on this board want to let the D off the hook when the players themselves are taking much of the blame. Time of possession isn’t an offensive only stat. It’s a team stat. The D has as much to do with it as the O.

Tampa's offense is not even a top 15 offense in this league. If we can't expect this D (which wants to be considered one of the all time greats) to get them off the field without converting 50% of their 3rd down attempts then I guess we shouldn't expect much from this team at all this year.

The offense was horrendous and didn't do its job yesterday. But the D didn't do its job either.

Edwards is nothing more than a situational pass rusher in this league.

446686[/snapback]

A situational pass rusher who is inexplicably on the bench for our passing packages DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You hit the nail on the head. I was laughing at their proclamations last week. Why can't this team ever learn to STFU? When's the last time you were in the playoffs??????? Less talking, more tackling.

Don't worry, Takeo will probably fine himself $10 each for the Six Days to Sunday and NFL Playbook interview quotes.

446563[/snapback]

With the whole heat factor I would say that's true. Cadillac Willams is a beast out there and showed that he's going to be a great player in this league for many years.

How many times did you see Griese uncomfortable yesterday?  I think once, on Miloy's blitz.  Other than that, bupkiss.  We played against a QB who has shown a willingness to lose games and we did not pressure him.  Whether that's the D or the DC, it sucked.

446701[/snapback]

The D "sucked" because the D couldn't play to its strength.

Why can't people give some credit to Tampa for devising a game plan that minimized our strength? The blitz will only work if the QB takes more than 3 steps back. Bucs had, maybe 2 or 3 plays where Griese was asked to stay in the pocket.

The difference between their game plan working and ours not, was that their QB could hit his receivers 7 yards downfield.

Ours, couldn't.

End of story.

The D "sucked" because the D couldn't play to its strength. 

Why can't people give some credit to Tampa for devising a game plan that minimized our strength?  The blitz will only work if the QB takes more than 3 steps back.  Bucs had, maybe 2 or 3 plays where Griese was asked to stay in the pocket.

The difference between their game plan working and ours not, was that their QB could hit his receivers 7 yards downfield. 

Ours, couldn't.

End of story.

446882[/snapback]

Course not, they couldn't stop the run, hence, no 3rd and longs. Tampa divised a game plan that kicked our tails by running the ball down our collective throats. So a gameplan of running the damn ball works? Hope we give it a try soon.

Course not, they couldn't stop the run, hence, no 3rd and longs.  Tampa divised a game plan that kicked our tails by running the ball down our collective throats.  So a gameplan of running the damn ball works?  Hope we give it a try soon.

446900[/snapback]

Please check the Gamebook or highlights before you make this case.

I think that we can make the case that the safety and the subsequent TD were the killers. Before that series, Tampa had the following 3rd down situations:

Series 1 (8 real plays)

3-1-TB29 (12:06) C.Williams right tackle to TB 32 for 3 yards (T.McGee).

3-9-TB43 (9:27) B.Griese pass to M.Clayton to BUF 49 for 8 yards (T.McGee; L.Milloy).

Series 2 (8 real plays)

3-6-TB26 (6:00) B.Griese pass to I.Hilliard to TB 36 for 10 yards (N.Clements).

3-10-TB48 (3:29) B.Griese sacked at TB 39 for -9 yards (L.Milloy).

Series 3 (3 real plays)

3-8-TB47 (:25) B.Griese pass to A.Becht to BUF 49 for 4 yards (L.Milloy).

Series 4 (7 real plays)

3-1-BUF45 (12:04) C.Williams left guard to BUF 43 for 2 yards (M.Haggan, L.Milloy).

3-10-BUF43 (11:13) B.Griese pass to M.Pittman to BUF 38 for 5 yards (L.Milloy, L.Fletcher).

Series 5 (after safety)

3-5-BUF39 (7:24) B.Griese pass to I.Hilliard to BUF 34 for 5 yards (J.Greer).

3-3-BUF16 (4:13) B.Griese pass to M.Clayton to BUF 1 for 15 yards (T.Vincent). under pressure

(This was the only play, where Griese had to be superstellar to avoid the rush)

Bills D was on the field for nearly 21 minutes in the first half! The other difference is that Bills were going 3 and out, while at least Bucs were getting a token 1st down.

After the half, the D was shot. Bucs were in a 3rd & long only twice after that.

The D was pretty darn good in the first half, but when the offense can't get a first down they were simply on the field way too much...in that heat it wore them down. Shades of Miami last year....

I think you'll see a much better team effort this week....

446441[/snapback]

I really dont like Jerry Sullivan, but did you read his article in the paper this morning? It made sense to me.

You make a very good point PJ.  I think that was key.  We couldn't sustain any drives... and our defense wore out in the heat.  Too many people are overlooking that.

446443[/snapback]

If their D did not allow any 1st downs, why did our D allow that...

Bottom line was our DL was manhandled by the OL especially in the running

game....Griese did not have to take a single chance....

Believe me, the offense's inability to make plays was the major cause of the loss. However, if you are an elite defense, you need to make game changing plays. That is where the defense failed. They did not create one turnover. Had they done so (especially early), it may have been a different game.