RUNNING PACKAGE

I started to get entirely pissed listening to the Bills game Sunday with Ryan Neufelds name being called so much. We ran way too many 2 TE sets which just lets the Bucs D crowd the LOS. Neufeld hardly gives us a credible receiving threat, so any time he steps in the game the Bucs can crowd the line and force JP to do something if we select a pass.

Also - I'm not convinced we're egtting enough action running the football from different formations. We seemed to go to I or Offset-I formations often to run the football or go playaction. We could help ourselves by mixing up the formations, running from a single TB formation on 1st down and mixing in some counter/misdirection plays...

We seemed to be so one dimensional so far this season...

I started to get entirely pissed listening to the Bills game Sunday with Ryan Neufelds name being called so much. We ran way too many 2 TE sets which just lets the Bucs D crowd the LOS. Neufeld hardly gives us a credible receiving threat, so any time he steps in the game the Bucs can crowd the line and force JP to do something if we select a pass.

Also - I'm not convinced we're egtting enough action running the football from different formations. We seemed to go to I or Offset-I formations often to run the football or go playaction. We could help ourselves by mixing up the formations, running from a single TB formation on 1st down and mixing in some counter/misdirection plays...

446216[/snapback]

You hit the nail on the head; it is exactly what I've been saying. This offense is too vanilla to move the ball against a good defensive team. Since we barely run a basic passing attack from thes formations teams know it will either be a run or play action; the opposite goes for spread formations as we rarely run from those. Until they open up the playbook and start scheming to take advantage of a foe versus just calling plays then we will never be more than a 9-7 team.

Would there have been any value in switching to more (any?) 2 back sets (block, release, outlet underneath...) and keeping the WR's spread? Just asking.

446305[/snapback]

Well take this for example - we sometimes went 4 wide, but 2 WR either side of the formation with no motion. The D can balace itself and just play - giving them the edge if we run... If we get more creative, running 3 wide to the strong and 1 to the weak and we then run/pass weakside we can up our %ages of success.

I liked the Willis/Shaud backfield set - but obviously it is a pass... Let's do this with Willis split out wide and run with Shaud. Lets get some scissors plays going to twin WRs on the strong side - let's just mix it up a whole lot more and give the O a cnace to do something unexpected from various formations.

446216[/snapback]

Good post, but i am confused...were you getting angry or drunk whilst listening to the chaps lose to TB? :)

It's so interesting that you call Neufeld out. He was in what, like 8 offensive plays yesterday? And I think four of those were passing plays, so he wasn't blocking anyway. Blame the starters like Campbell and the rest of the O-line, not the back up guy who's only in a couple plays a game.

It's so interesting that you call Neufeld out.  He was in what, like 8 offensive plays yesterday?  And I think four of those were passing plays, so he wasn't blocking anyway.  Blame the starters like Campbell and the rest of the O-line, not the back up guy who's only in a couple plays a game.

447222[/snapback]

OK Ryan, we'll take it easy on ya.

It's so interesting that you call Neufeld out.  He was in what, like 8 offensive plays yesterday?  And I think four of those were passing plays, so he wasn't blocking anyway.  Blame the starters like Campbell and the rest of the O-line, not the back up guy who's only in a couple plays a game.

447222[/snapback]

I'm calling out the coaches for using the 2 TE set too much - not Ryan himself.

I'm calling out the coaches for using the 2 TE set too much - not Ryan himself.

That's my point - the hardly used two TE sets at all this weekend. I think it was seriously only about 7 or 8 plays. That's not that many at all. I actually think they should be using more!

That's my point - the hardly used two TE sets at all this weekend.  I think it was seriously only about 7 or 8 plays.  That's not that many at all.  I actually think they should be using more!

447594[/snapback]

I'm not sure how much the 2 TE set helps us. It replaces a faster guy onm the outside or a blocker out of the back field with a guy like Neufeld who is a tweener in all respects.

The 2TE set, especially with Euhus and Everett injured doesn't utilise our available talent and allows Defences to stack the box and dare JP to throw.

I'd be using a lot more of the WRs, RBs like Shaud Williams in the flank and stuff like that. Given em something to think about - not something to use as a punchbag.