If JP's confidence is shot by getting pulled...

Fake-Fat Sunny

then forget about him ever being a winning QB.

It's hard to believe the whining from some folks on this board and from some of the TV pundits (Vic Carruci and the bozo on their show and some idiot on Channel 2) about pulling him being a horrible move because it undercuts his confidence or the team's confidence in him.

If he needs to be handled with kid gloves and hos confidence built up and supported regardless of how he is playing then he is a softer athlete than I imagined and its doubtful that he has the arrogant short memory that a successful player in this league needs.

Perhaps it would be a learning experience to play through his horrendous game, but I see this as a good learning experience if he plays through this and suceeds but merely leaving him in to be toyed with and danced over by a Bucs team that simply outplayed and outphysicaled the Bills has no learning value that I can see.

Ironically, I think he got two learning lessons from the way this played out:

1. He should have learned that the fate of this team does not rest solely on his play. This group will win as a team but lose as a bunch of individuals, and I hope Losman took from this (and fans lrearned the lesson as well) that we will and should have no fear of sitting anyone who isn't doing the job. JP should take from this that he will be sat if he does not do the job, but he will also be used if Holcomn does not do it.

MM/TC would be making a mistake if they had two starting QBs and JP needs to know and be told he will not be pulled for making a single mistake. However, there is a big difference between their being a hair trigger for benching him and reacting to the multi-quarter non-productive performance he has today,

He should know he will be pulled if he shows virtually nothing for an entire game and his extraordinarily bad production is something better recognized with some consequence rathee than accepted virtually regardless of how he does.

2. He actually did perform far better after he was benched and put back in going 5/5 at one point. A part of this was most likely TB cashing in their effort once the Bills had clearly given up and too little time to mount a comeback, but he should take a lesson from this that does not undercut his confidence but seems to have provided a challenge for him which he reponded to.

For folks who felt that he is now more likely a lost cause because there is some accountability (obviously something that has gone out of style in our current stay-the-course society even if it is not working) have it wrong IMHO. If JP is so wounded by this he cannot function then the mistake was drafting him in the first place. From his better performance after benching and the way he seemed to face the music and reality after this game I think he is made of tougher stuff than those whining about the benching.

then forget about him ever being a winning QB.

It's hard to believe the whining from some folks on this board and from some of the TV pundits (Vic Carruci and the bozo on their show and some idiot on Channel 2) about pulling him being a horrible move because it undercuts his confidence or the team's confidence in him.

If he needs to be handled with kid gloves and hos confidence built up and supported regardless of how he is playing then he is a softer athlete than I imagined and its doubtful that he has the arrogant short memory that a successful player in this league needs.

Perhaps it would be a learning experience to play through his horrendous game, but I see this as a good learning experience if he plays through this and suceeds but merely leaving him in to be toyed with and danced over by a Bucs team that simply outplayed and outphysicaled the Bills has no learning value that I can see.

Ironically, I think he got two learning lessons from the way this played out:

1. He should have learned that the fate of this team does not rest solely on his play.  This group will win as a team but lose as a bunch of individuals, and I hope Losman took from this (and fans lrearned the lesson as well) that we will and should have no fear of sitting anyone who isn't doing the job.  JP should take from this that he will be sat if he does not do the job, but he will also be used if Holcomn does not do it.

MM/TC would be making a mistake if they had two starting QBs and JP needs to know and be told he will not be pulled for making a single mistake.  However, there is a big difference between their being a hair trigger for benching him and reacting to the multi-quarter non-productive performance he has today, 

He should know he will be pulled if he shows virtually nothing for an entire game and his extraordinarily bad production is something better recognized with some consequence rathee than accepted virtually regardless of how he does.

2. He actually did perform far better after he was benched and put back in going 5/5 at one point. A part of this was most likely TB cashing in their effort once the Bills had clearly given up and too little time to mount a comeback, but he should take a lesson from this that does not undercut his confidence but seems to have provided a challenge for him which he reponded to.

For folks who felt that he is now more likely a lost cause because there is some accountability (obviously something that has gone out of style in our current stay-the-course society even if it is not working) have it wrong IMHO.  If JP is so wounded by this he cannot function then the mistake was drafting him in the first place. From his better performance after benching and the way he seemed to face the music and reality after this game I think he is made of tougher stuff than those whining about the benching.

445816[/snapback]

Good post.

It is not uncommon for a young QB who is struggling to spend a series on the sideline to study what the defense is doing and gather himself. MM should have done it much, much earlier in the game because it was clear JP was way off from the very beginning. I was beside myself when Holcomb didn't go in for the drive when they were backed up to the 1 yd line. It's not a matter of "benching" JP, it's about calming him down and letting him see what the defense is doing from a different perspective.

This seasion is going to be a balance between developing JP and winning games. Yesterday's game was winnable, but the coaching staff blew it by feeding JP to the wolves on that series. Sitting him for a series at cleanup time and then putting him back in was largely ineffective. It was too late to calm him down and then go win the game. It was too late to make him worry that he would ever get pulled from a game (if that is what some people thought the message was).

It is not uncommon for a young QB who is struggling to spend a series on the sideline to study what the defense is doing and gather himself.  MM should have done it much, much earlier in the game because it was clear JP was way off from the very beginning.  I was beside myself when Holcomb didn't go in for the drive when they were backed up to the 1 yd line.  It's not a matter of "benching" JP, it's about calming him down and letting him see what the defense is doing from a different perspective.

This seasion is going to be a balance between developing JP and winning games.  Yesterday's game was winnable, but the coaching staff blew it by feeding JP to the wolves on that series.  Sitting him for a series at cleanup time and then putting him back in was largely ineffective.  It was too late to calm him down and then go win the game.  It was too late to make him worry that he would ever get pulled from a game (if that is what some people thought the message was).

446008[/snapback]

Many watchers seem to make the mistake that just because it is true that there are things a QB can learn ONLY from playing the game that it must be true that he can learn nothing by sitting.

This is simply wrong.

As Kyle Boller remarked in the 2004 draft that when he got hirt and was forced to sut during his rookie season he was surprised that there was a lot of stuff he could see better from the sideline than he could on the field and that even better without the need to prepare himself just in case he was called onto the field. For JP sitting in the booth with Sam Wyche last year struck me as an essential part of what he needed. He needed to play the game as well and see the set-up over the center's butt, but the booth allowed him to view the action analytically without the natural distraction of yukking it up with his teammates.

I had and have few doubts about JPs athletic ability, its understanding the mental part of the game when his past success had been improvising as he ran for his life behind the Tulane OL was the area I think he most needed to work on.

Ultimately, playing the game is essential and must be done, but getting the Wyche download and analysis is really a singular opportunity and though it was unfortunate it took an injury lastyear to do it, i think the combination of him playing and him watching and learning will make him a more productive QB for us.

I have no problem with him being sat down to learn some important lessons yesterday and if being sat is all it takes to break him then he ain't gonna make it anyway as much worse will happen to him in his career on the field.

I think we have a winner in JP...I don't think his confidence will be affected.  If it is, then he does not have the psyche nor the heart to be a winning QB.

Mike

446328[/snapback]

I really liked JPs quote after the game about how he was pissed he was replaced, but understood it was MM decision. To me shows the right attitude, willing to learn but not happy bout it. His confidence seems fine to me.

My reaction? I'm upset," Losman said about his one-series benching. "I don't want to see another quarterback in there. . . . But it's a team game. I realize I'm young. Coach Mularkey and the other coaches know what's best for me and the team. They felt that was the best decision at that moment for maybe a spark."

Many watchers seem to make the mistake that just because it is true that there are things a QB can learn ONLY from playing the game that it must be true that he can learn nothing by sitting.

This is simply wrong.

As Kyle Boller remarked in the 2004 draft that when he got hirt and was forced to sut during his rookie season he was surprised that there was a lot of stuff he could see better from the sideline than he could on the field and that even better without the need to prepare himself just in case he was called onto the field.

446220[/snapback]

I wouldn't be so eager to use Kyle Boller as an example of good QB development if I were you.

To me, it's not a question of his confidence being shot, but rather what was the point of taking him out for one series?

It's about leaving him in there to make mistakes, learn from them, and adjust. Not to make mistakes, get pulled, and then go right back in there. If anything, that is going to confuse everyone (not just the qb)

Overall I thought it was a terrible decision.

Overall I thought it was a terrible decision.

446524[/snapback]

If, and I know it's a major if, Holcomb and Shaud Willialms would have provided the spark that MM said he was trying to get by making the change, and if they had gone down and scored a TD to bring Bflo back into the game, would you still say the same thing?

I doubt it.

If, and I know it's a major if, Holcomb and Shaud Willialms would have provided the spark that MM said he was trying to get by making the change, and if they had gone down and scored a TD to bring Bflo back into the game, would you still say the same thing?

I doubt it.

446537[/snapback]

To me that would be even worse. Then, we would have a full blown qb contraversey....which is the last thing any team wants to be dealing with.

J.P. himself made a couple bad decisions yesterday, but the rest of his performance had a lot to do with his surrounding cast.