I had NO problem with pulling Losman

Kelly the Dog

Personally, I thought that was a pretty damn good coaching move, and the subtext was clear.

First off, it showed the confidence, not the lack of confidence, that the team has in Losman. If they thought for a second that it would have any affect whatsoever on JP's own confidence, they wouldnt have done it. I don't think it matters one bit to him, other than the fact he would have been pissed that he wasn't playing. This guy has a lot of confidence in himself and he knows he is is no danger whatsoever of losing his job. This is NOT like having two veterans and you don'tknow which one should start. JP is the starter without any question from anyone.

There were 7 minutes to go in the game. JP had totally sucked up until that point. There was little chance, but still a chance, to score twice and get two two-point conversions. There didn't seem much chance that JP was going to suddenly do it. Holcomb, however, has seen defenses like this, has proven himself to be able to come off the bench cold and play well. they wanted to see if he could SUDDENLY spark this team and this offense. It could have gone either way. If Holcomb led them to a quick TD he would have stayed in and then JP would have started the next week like it never happened.

Holcomb immediately looked just like JP. The coaches saw that the chance they hoped for, the immediate spark, didn't happen. Then they put JP back in. I think it was totally the right thing to do, both times, and said so to the people I was watching the game with. AKC wanted to bet me that they wouldnt put JP back in but I declined the offer. :angry:

Two things.  First off I disagree with your analysis, and so do you, of you wouldn't take the bet. 

2nd thing, this is being discussed in three other threads.  Is there any reason you had to pull a ice move and start you own thread?  :angry:  :doh:

445732[/snapback]

No, I didnt take the bet because I didnt believe necessarily that the Bills coaches would put him back in. I thought it was the right thing to do after I saw that Holcomb looked just as flustered, but wasn't sure they would do it.

I didn't read all of the threads but thought this was something that deserved its own.

No, I didnt take the bet because I didnt believe necessarily that the Bills coaches would put him back in. I thought it was the right thing to do after I saw that Holcomb looked just as flustered, but wasn't sure they would do it.

I didn't read all of the threads but thought this was something that deserved its own.

445739[/snapback]

Kelly, I 100% agree with your analysis. I don't think that it was the intent, necessarily to pull Losman for 1 series, only to see if Holcomb could do any better.

I don't think it shattered Losmans' confidence, and more importantly, I think it sent a positive message to the team (and me!) that the Bills are out to win games this year, not to write off a season, in week 2, to simply bring along an inexperienced player. It was a measured move, which ultimately, did not pay off, but was worth the gamble. There was about 7 minutes left, Losman was able to do very little, and chances of pulling out the game were dwindling. Why not take a shot? As usual, the majority here, on TSW, are overreacting to a bad game, and to a coaching decision, which ultimately, had no positive or negative effect on the game. Everything I have observed of Mike Mularkey the last year and a half has indicated to me, that he is a fairly solid decision maker, and doesn't go off all Mike Martz, and act impulsively. Personally, I hope like hell that Losman succeeds, but if the RJ/DF/DB era has taught me anything, it is to appreciate the teams accomplishments, more than a players. I would love to see Losman lead this team back to respectability (and playoffs!), but I won't be crying for Losman, if Kelly Holcomb does it instead! No QB controversy, just want this team to start winning some games...

Based on the post-game quotes, JP responded exactly how a confident, determined newb should respond....he said he was angry about the change, doesn't want to share the QB position with anyone else, but recognizes he's young and inexperienced and wiill defer to the coaching staff when it comes to such issues. I don't think there is any concern with this kid about shaking his confidence. He seems like the type who uses adversity as motivation.....I like that.

I also agree with you Kelly.

When they put Losman back, he drove the Bills within Tampa's 10 yard line.

Yes, it was so late in the game and TB might have been playing "soft." Yet, he still was able to move the ball. Things didn't work out on 4th and goal and the game was done. I think that was a confidence booster.

Even know the Bills were down and out... They still were only 2 scores away from a tie. Yes... It would have taken 2 TD's, 2 2pt. conversions, and an on side kick... Stranger things could have happened and the team was theorically in the game.

I think the game finished on an up note.