JP was really bad

Frez

Pulling Losman AFTER Mularkey had thrown in the towel was also stunning, but the prevailing belief after the fact on radio was that by putting in Holcomb and having him bumble thru a 3 and out Mularkey actually quieted the vocal minority in Buffalo that always think the backup QB is the best player on the team.

445701[/snapback]

Well, there is that.... although I imagine the gang at GR will be taking their fair share of "shoulda kept Bledsoe" calls in the morning.

I'll also be interested to read how DiCesare and Sullivan write it up in tomorrow's News - they staked out their opposing positions quite clearly back in February. I'm guessing DiCesare will be unloading a heaping helping of JP-related "I told you so", and Sully will be taking some cuts at the defense...

I haven't seen it mentioned, but I was irate when Mularkey sent the punt team out there on 4th and 9 from the Bucs 38 yard line in the 4th quarter down 2 TD's.  There were 13 minutes left, but when you can't stop the run, it changes how you have to handle the game clock.  In effect, it was a two to three series game.  I thought Mularkey had a better feel for the flow of the game than he showed then.  It was also a prime opportunity to let JP make a play.

Mularkey got what he deserved when Moorman screwed the punt for a net 15 yard gain.  As that Simmons guy says, the "football gods punished him".  Shades of "4th and stupid".  The Bucs then proceeded to effectively run out the competitive portion of the game on the ensuing drive.  Pulling Losman AFTER Mularkey had thrown in the towel was also stunning, but the prevailing belief after the fact on radio was that by putting in Holcomb and having him bumble thru a 3 and out Mularkey actually quieted the vocal minority in Buffalo that always think the backup QB is the best player on the team.

445701[/snapback]

badol, you are so right. however, there was even one stupider decision -- punting on 4th and 11 at the bills own 35 or so and down by 16 with less than 8 minutes left in the game. i'm not sure whether they were trying to protect stats or whatever, but given the situation, the only way they had a tiny chance of tying the bucs was to score on that drive. if they failed, whatever. it would have been over, but it was over anyway when they decided to punt.