Five guys to watchout for today

Thailog80

1. Simian Rice....Gandy is going to have his hands full. Rice is a pure speed rusher so Gandy is going to have to be physical with him.

2. Michael Clayton....Nate will do the job. But this kid is a hell of a player.

3. Joey Galloway....not the player he once was but given his speed and height I think McGee could be the Gruden target here.

4. Alex Smith (TE) Raw and full of potential. Caught two TD's last week. Given our vulnerablity to TE's this is an area of concern.

5. Brian Kelly....never seems out of place. Always around the ball and very smart.

1. Simian Rice....Gandy is going to have his hands full. Rice is a pure speed rusher so Gandy is going to have to be physical with him.

2. Michael Clayton....Nate will do the job. But this kid is a hell of a player.

3. Joey Galloway....not the player he once was but given his speed and height I think McGee could be the Gruden target here.

4. Alex Smith (TE) Raw and full of potential. Caught two TD's last week. Given our vulnerablity to TE's this is an area of concern.

5. Brian Kelly....never seems out of place. Always around the ball and very smart.

444475[/snapback]

I agree mostly with (3). I think Gruden might build his game plan around the idea of running to keep us honest, and exploiting McGee with Galloway for the big plays. I think he'll be in for a disappointment, tho, with our safeties helping out....

I agree mostly with (3).  I think Gruden might build his game plan around the idea of running to keep us honest, and exploiting McGee with Galloway for the big plays.  I think he'll be in for a disappointment, tho, with our safeties helping out....

444479[/snapback]

Oh most definetly the safety help will be there. I too think Gruden will run Cadillac to keep our D honest....but Cadillacs don't fair too well hitting a Semi (Our D). :D

444475[/snapback]

Why are we vulnerable to TE's? Is this based upon our spotty past or the present?

I think any of our LB's or Milloy can take on the TE position.

Why are we vulnerable to TE's?  Is this based upon our spotty past or the present?

I think any of our LB's or Milloy can take on the TE position.

444483[/snapback]

I saw our coverages last year and this pre-season (which means nada) exploited by TE's. They seem to be able to find a seam to get open. While I agree our LB's can cover I do believe Londons height is a weakness.

Milloy is going to have his hands full with Smith and assisting McGee

I saw our coverages last year and this pre-season (which means nada) exploited by TE's.  They seem to be able to find a seam to get open. While I agree our LB's can cover I do believe Londons height is a weakness.

444485[/snapback]

that implies Griese has time to throw. I'm not so sure he will. This defense appears to be a different cat than past years.

I saw our coverages last year and this pre-season (which means nada) exploited by TE's.  They seem to be able to find a seam to get open. While I agree our LB's can cover I do believe Londons height is a weakness.

444485[/snapback]

Like who and when?

What you say may be true in episodes and might even be true as a trend. However, since a main INDICATOR we all know about is that last year's team was #2 statistically in D and that this pre-season featured almost complete stonings of opponents first team Ds, the facts you offer of TEs and seam routes exploiting the Bills consistently would seem to be false.

Obviously the Bills are far from perfect. However, its imperfections such as the redzone failures this year or the 3rd down conversion failures last year are upfront and obvious and easily documentable as statistical problems.

The most obvious TE and seam route failures I can remember the Bills having were in preseason where the D was pitching a shut out in a game (the full game against GB I believe) and they gave up a TD on a seam route. However, this was deep in the 3rd if not the fourth quarter and blaming the starting safties or LBs for this fault or the scheme seems unlikely.

It is clear to me that Winfield is gone and expecting a performance like the one he put on Tony Gpnzalez at TE in a game for us against KC should not be expected by a rational person, but your claim does not strike me as rationally substantiated by the fact.

Like who and when?

What you say may be true in episodes and might even be true as a trend. However, since a main INDICATOR we all know about is that last year's team was #2 statistically in D and that this pre-season featured almost complete stonings of opponents first team Ds, the facts you offer of TEs and seam routes exploiting the Bills consistently would seem to be false.

444513[/snapback]

Oh yes, the all important rankings. We all know how many of the top 5 defenses were playing in the Superbowl.

I don't know what our % defending the tightends was last year, but on 3rd down conversions the vaunted #2 defense was only 13th in the league. I would guess that there would be a correlation between these two.